Boris about to blow it -

Observer II

I didn't say that Dave;  if we ever do get the "R" rate below 1 on a permanent basis, making it safe to remove most restrictions, as in lock down;  there will remain some requirements that can be rapidly mobilised, such as track and trace and pre-innoculation for travel etc.   This isn't new of course, as I can remember having to have certain shots prior to being posted abroad and even holidays, going back.   Even masks were a regular feature in the far east in the past.    However, if a pandemic should return in the future, we know that the only solution is to lock down asap.     😷

I hate to bang on about this, but I see a slightly different future than one where we live in constant fear of virus mutations and the need for mass vaccinations. By far the worst thing about this current virus was not how many deaths it caused but the ease by which it was able to spread. If we could make all indoor spaces completely virus free, then it would eliminate the chance of it developing into a full pandemic.

This I’m certain will happen but having spoken with someone with a medical background, they pointed out that removing all viruses from our lives could in the long term actually weaken our immune system so antiviral measures should only be used in public places and not the home.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

It's nature's way of limiting population sizes. Prior to Jenner and the smallpox vax;  the human population of the planet was relatively low;  few children lived beyond age 5; most adults would die by their 40s; even minor infections could prove lethal.   After Jenner and later the discovery  of anti-biotics, population levels exploded.  The battle with viruses and bacteria is continuous, and the over use of anti-biotics will present a major issue in the near future.   btw Bill, your medical friend is right; but if you do invent a means to sanitise public spaces,  you'll become a multi-billionaire !    😷

There’s a consensus view in medical circles now that the aerosol component accounts for more transmissions than the droplet (coughs and sneezes) that we were originally told would be the primary transmission method. This is why the main information focus these days has changed to the need for good ventilation. Think of it rather like smelling a fart. It certainly doesn’t stop at 2 metres and can hang about for ages indoors and no droplets involved thank goodness.

In short, at this molecular level, UV sterilization can break down and destroy the virus instantly or at worst a matter of seconds.

Bill 😊

• Haha 1

Davy

I think that most planes already have UV in the air con but that only kills those bugs that pass through it. What I’m on about is a new kind of UV light capable of killing the virus almost as it leaves your mouth. They’re installed overhead a bit like smoke detectors and disinfect everything it shines on or through but doesn’t cause any harm to us humans.

As for the mobile phone thing, it will work but I can't really see the point of doing something like that.

Bill 😊

14 hours ago, Bill said:

Davy

I think that most planes already have UV in the air con but that only kills those bugs that pass through it. What I’m on about is a new kind of UV light capable of killing the virus almost as it leaves your mouth. They’re installed overhead a bit like smoke detectors and disinfect everything it shines on or through but doesn’t cause any harm to us humans.

As for the mobile phone thing, it will work but I can't really see the point of doing something like that.

Bill 😊

To make money out of gullible people who believe in snake oil.

The phone thing, Yes a bit pointless for a personal device as I wouldn't think it's possible to infect yourself with your own germs. If it were a public phone then it might make some sense. I agree, it does smack of playing on peoples fear but the tech does work so not exactly snake oil.

Bill :)

I don’t know Sid but they do use something like that maybe to detect a special ink. Last year I used some special dye in my petrol to try and find out where it was leaking. The idea was that the dye glowed bright yellow under UV but it wasn’t much help as there was so much splattered everywhere.

I’ve just tried it on a fiver and the number 5 appears in the centre of the note under UV.

Bill 😊

When I say snake oil, I'm thinking more of unscrupulous people who produce all sorts of "electronic" devices which they flog on eBay and Amazon to the gullible who are looking for cheap reassurance without engaging their brains. I'm sure there are devices out there which will work, but I wouldn't buy one solely on the claims of the seller.

They’re not like the copper bracelets or good luck charms Asp, these things do work and kill all viruses and bacteria. All the water from your tap has been treated with UV before it reaches you. My fish pond (gone now) used two UV lamps to keep the water clean. When the lamps failed as they do, the water would start to go murky within a few days.

Currently, most products on eBay rely on something like to a fluorescent lamp which has the down side of giving out a lot of harmful stuff so great care is needed. The new devices on the other hand are designed to do the same but without the harmful stuff. It’s all so new that there’s no mass production facilities for it yet which makes things expensive and explains why you won’t find this sort of thing on eBay.

Bill 😊

Haven't you heard of a place called "CHINA" Bill? They churn out legitimate looking stuff by the containership these days, all deigned to con the unwary eBay shopper. There's a Youtube channel called Big Clive who looks into stuff like this and finds all sorts of harmful, and some cases deadly, stuff coming from our Oriental friends.

You can’t do much about the fact that most of the electronic products today are manufactured in places like China. Even high-end products assembled in the west will often contain sub-assemblies and parts made in China, in fact, even I have stuff manufactured out there and I can assure you there’s certainly nothing wrong with their quality.

When the Covid thing first kicked in, I was worried about placing orders directly with Chinese manufactures, so I checked out multiple companies here in the UK and around the world only to find prices were on average about ten times higher. Looking deeper, most of these alternate companies turned out to be suppliers rather than manufactures, effectively middlemen who took designs and subcontracted the manufacturing to China.

Throughout my life, I’ve always said they do it cheaper because they only pay the workers a bowl of rice but having seen videos of the plant that manufactures my parts, I can assure you that it’s mainly due to the extensive use of technology on a massive scale and no doubt some relaxed rules. The crazy thing is that because they’ve essentially stolen the entire market for electronics manufacturing, it’s now economically impossible for us to even consider competing with them.

In short, there’s nowt wrong with Chinese manufacturers, and if they can put together cheaper versions of products we would normally pay more for then companies like eBay will exist. You pay your money and takes your chances.

Bill 😊