Pain in the ass

Geoffrey Settle

Hi peeps, long time no hear from me,

Do you remember the times used to post about my leg pains - several years - pains below my hips, legs, ankles, shins - everywhere - all the doctor could recommend was paracetamol.

Gary thrashed me in the parkrun series as he got stronger, fitter lighter and all I could do was cheer him on at Mayor's Corner.

Well it turned out to be both of my hips they were shot to bits 🥵

2 weeks ago the surgeon went to work with his butchers knife, saw and probably his hammer and now I'm in recovery- everything went great with little pain.

I've been one of the lucky ones - mind you I've had the symptoms for possibly 6 years - but only diagnosed about 2 years ago.

Gary has challenged me to a park run and £100 charity donation to the losers charity paid by the loser of course but I think I might wait until I get the 2nd one done.

What do you think?

• Upvote 1

Good to see you about again Geoff but do yourself a favour and learn to grow old a bit more gracefully like the rest of us do. I still want to climb mountains and boldly go where no one has gone before but my aching legs tell me to think again. There’s an alternate theory doing the rounds these days that too much exercise is not good for you in the long run and I can see the wisdom in that.

Bill 😊

Everything in moderation - I need to get back into training just to look after the hyper grandchildren :-) Just been out for a ten minute walk and now back in bed resting my thigh but moving well and almost ditched the crutches - I'm finding it easier without them one less thing to trip over.

And yes it was a dilemma whether to go in or not for the obvious reasons - taking up valuable resource, what if I caught covid whilst recovering, how would I react as an asthmatic etc But as it turned out the place I went to was taking the strain off the NHS and and enable the waiting list to be dealt with for people like me who have been in the queue for an age.

This time last year I had to cancel because the family went to Oz - I stayed here. Then when Mrs S had returned the rescheduled op was postponed because the theatre was doubled booked, then COVID-19 came and everything shut down.

Recently I have been doing things accidentally because I was getting worse, so before I caused more heartache and danger I chose to go in and get it done. I was getting to clumsy shall we say and a danger to others.

When you are told your next you have a choice  about which of about 4 hospitals to go to. I chose one where i'd had two ops already - and it was familiar to me.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Good to see you about again Geoff but do yourself a favour and learn to grow old a bit more gracefully like the rest of us do. I still want to climb mountains and boldly go where no one has gone before but my aching legs tell me to think again. There’s an alternate theory doing the rounds these days that too much exercise is not good for you in the long run and I can see the wisdom in that.

Bill 😊

That's always the case - I used to be quite happy running 80  plus miles a week but I couldn't do 10 pre op and only about 10 minute walks before looking for a bench to meditate on, We all still have our dreams and I hope yours come true. I am putting my bucket list together and beating Gary maybe on the list :-)  

I went for my first walk yesterday for 10 minutes to see the flood protection area across Enfield Pk road and managed ok. Came back through Enfield Park and the duck pond was a sheet of ice, couldn't see the board walk - need to get it taped off. 

At high noon off to the west stand at the HJ for my jab, Mrs S will get hers as well. She's been superb looking after me 🤪- I couldn't have recovered on your own. 

Well good luck to you Geoff and I really do hope your operation gives you a bit more freedom from pain but don’t loose sight of the fact that a hip replacement won’t give you superpowers like mine. As for your dreams, yes they’ve been brilliant during lockdown but then the waking up bit goes and spoils things.

Don't forget to wrap up well for your jab because it was colder inside than out when I had mine, but to be fair mine was a much earlier appointment. Also remember the entrance is at the Dallam Lane end, a point that my superpowers completely missed. :)

Bill 😊

51 minutes ago, Bill said:

Well good luck to you Geoff and I really do hope your operation gives you a bit more freedom from pain but don’t loose sight of the fact that a hip replacement won’t give you superpowers like mine. As for your dreams, yes they’ve been brilliant during lockdown but then the waking up bit goes and spoils things.

Don't forget to wrap up well for your jab because it was colder inside than out when I had mine, but to be fair mine was a much earlier appointment. Also remember the entrance is at the Dallam Lane end, a point that my superpowers completely missed. :)

Bill 😊

Thanks Bill our friend Bill told us about that - are there a few spaces at that end - rather than use the big car park - I no longer have the Mayoral car and my driver Geoff moved to France and is having a great time on the red stuff and olives. He was great and we did get into a few scrapes - even made page two of the Warrington Guardian :-) and that was hip related. I'd been giving out awards for the Warrington Disability - he could see that I was knackered and could hardly stand up - Dave T asked for one more photo session for his brave 1 mile swimmers while Geoff went to bring the car closer to the entrance of the swimming baths.

He park in one of 7 empty disabled spots and someone took a photo - I picked it up on social media and issued an apology. He still got it in the neck from the office and a yellow card, The lady who reported us was mortified and wrote me an apology - but how was she to know what the situation was. Four years later and I'd still have an issue getting in and out of the car with or without sky hooks.

When Priness Anne visited the Eddy Stobbart she said how are and I was my legs are aching - she said is it a Mayoral thing? When she left she wished me luck and said I hope your legs get better - may be I should write to her and let her know.

I had visions of her telling her mum about me.

Did you know that the dish of Warrington is Curry?

Well Gregg James used to have the Mayor from Where? series of 5 questions he would ask a Mayor and try and guess where he was from. Well question five was what is the local dish - I said I'll ask the wife and opened the kitchen door - what are we having for tea - she nearly choked when she knew she was on live radio - We're having Curry :-)

Edited by Geoffrey Settle
Curry
  • Haha 1

It probably uses the cookies from what you have search for :-)

Left leg twinging away today but i take it that's because I've been out again walking but also a sign of healing. Not wearing compression stockings my nurse find them difficult to take on and off my legs. I think the danger of blooding clotting has passed so they shouldn't get to my lungs any more fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill I may be should have followed your advice and that of Nurse Jean aka my wife to take it easy but then you both know that I don't always follow good advice :-) 

Anyway having reduced my codine intake from 8 per day to two so that I could g o for a number two - I reduced it to zero and a number two came after 6 days 🥵 and a lot of huffing and puffing.

Yesterday I went for a walk through Cinnamon Brow Woodland Trust and tripped - the air was blue but a couple of paracetamol killed off the pain.

Today I went for a walk along Blackbrook stream embankment and slipped my crutches saved be from hitting the deck. but I had to leave the grass and warm sunshine to crawl down Enfield Park Road pavement stopping every few yards to let the pain wash over me 😬

Well 3 codine later I'm back up feeling fine 🤔 - I wonder what the moral of this tale is ?

The moral of the story, I don’t think you need me to tell you that Geoff.

I always liken my body to my car. When it was new, I could thrash it knowing that it was safe to do that but now it’s old and bits start to wear out and weaken, I have the choice of taking it easier to make it last or pushing it until it breaks. I’ve just spent a small fortune having a virtual hip replacement on the car, it feels a lot better, but the engines a high miler and if that fails, it’ll be time for the scrapyard.

There’s a lot of thing’s I still want to do with the life but going out in a blaze of glory trying to match the physical performance of a younger person isn’t one of them.

Bill 😊

Hi Bill I may be should have followed your advice and that of Nurse Jean aka my wife to take it easy but then you both know that I don't always follow good advice :-) 

Anyway having reduced my codine intake from 8 per day to two so that I could g o for a number two - I reduced it to zero and a number two came after 6 days 🥵 and a lot of huffing and puffing.

Yesterday I went for a walk through Cinnamon Brow Woodland Trust and tripped - the air was blue but a couple of paracetamol killed off the pain.

Today I went for a walk along Blackbrook stream embankment and slipped my crutches saved be from hitting the deck. but I had to leave the grass and warm sunshine to crawl down Enfield Park Road pavement stopping every few yards to let the pain wash over me 😬

Well 3 codine later I'm back up feeling fine 🤔 - I wonder what the moral of this tale is ?

I know Bill and sound advice - but I want to try out my new toy - but first I will ask Mr G my surgeon what I can and can't do. I spoke to my brother last night on the phone and he asked me what I was going to do - stuff like the Snowdonia Zip wire, skiing etc In the background his doctor wife could be heard saying no no no. This is the only advice she has given me in the decades that I have known her.... 

I'm just wondering if this is a case of GP Fake News 

Hip (2).jpg

On 2/23/2021 at 10:00 AM, Geoffrey Settle said:

Anyway having reduced my codeine intake from 8 per day to two so that I could g o for a number two - I reduced it to zero and a number two came after 6 days 🥵 and a lot of huffing and puffing.

Oh dear Geoff. I think the moral is something like - you may think you are fine but when you exert yourself your body tells you that you were mistaken. Listen to your body and your sister in law they seem to be aligned in their opinion!

2 hours ago, Confused52 said:

Oh dear Geoff. I think the moral is something like - you may think you are fine but when you exert yourself your body tells you that you were mistaken. Listen to your body and your sister in law they seem to be aligned in their opinion!

Sound advice but having popped a codine yesterday I got something like 5 hours sleep instead if 3 to 4 - and I listened to my body today and it said lets try a power walk and blew the misses away she couldn't keep up. 4 weeks ago it was the reverse. Having said that I took to my bed for a cat nap - we were out for 20 mins before she who must be obeyed called time out due to empty tummy and cold weather.