UK first -

Observer II

22 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Yahoo - must be fake then   :rolleyes:

I looked at yahoo it gave me this:

Coronavirus live news: UK had world's highest Covid death toll last week; more countries record new variant

UK had highest Covid death toll in week to 17 January with 16.5 deaths per 1m people; Czech Republic and Japan find Covid variant first detected in UK

But it was from the Grauniad ....

It is called cherry picking.

According to the Israelis, who are ahead in vax distribution, the first jab only provides 33% protection, thus the second jab is a requirement.   There are also allegations of queue jumping using computer apps;   we don't seem to be good at using computer progs, do we ?     😷

5 minutes ago, Observer II said:

According to the Israelis, who are ahead in vax distribution, the first jab only provides 33% protection, thus the second jab is a requirement.   There are also allegations of queue jumping using computer apps;   we don't seem to be good at using computer progs, do we ?     😷

More special news from Yahoo I see.

The story behind the story says:

"Then we looked to see what is the daily positivity rate... And we saw that there was no difference between vaccinated and unvaccinated until day 14 post-vaccination.

"But on day 14 post-vaccination, a drop of 33% in positivity was witnessed in the vaccinated group and not in the unvaccinated... this is really good news."

However, UK scientists said in December that trial data had suggested it would be 89% effective after one dose.

And it did after 21 days. I don't think this is a surprise no-one should think there is any protection to speak of before the 21 day point. but it probably doesn't stop getting better magically at 21 days and I expect the 89% is no earlier than 21 days bur crucially was expected to last up to 84 days. What has been produced as contradicting the UK is insufficient to do any such thing. What they normally seem to do is that if they say it is 33% in the first two weeks it means that is the average efficacy during those two weeks. Remember it is 0 on the first day so as the efficacy grows you would expect it to be equivalent to 66% ( that is 60% from day 15 onwards) at day 14 and therefore well over 66% at say 89% by day 21. You can only measure the 89% in the weeks after day 21 so the measurement they quote is encouraging and not discouraging. More Yahoo fake news.

• Upvote 2

That’s the way I read that information Con but the media are always going to try and make it out to be some kind of sensational story that they’ve uncovered. So much with this virus relies on statistics and not everyone is able to interpret and visualize this numeric data and so end up with wrong or misleading conclusions.

As for queue jumping, do we have any of that or is this another instant when things are being twisted to make a story?

Bill 😊

The allegations appearing are that there is an IT loophole being exploited to jump the queue; but perhaps worse; that some localists are undermining Gov rules by abusing the irregular distribution of the vaccine, to insert THEIR cohort priorities prior to those of Gov, such as teachers and other Council staff; thus turning it into a free for all.  We also have politicians in Gov, constantly mithering for relaxations to lock down, despite past evidence they lead to a resurgence in cases; this I call "the spoilt kid syndrome", I want it, therefore I must have it.  Meanwhile, the overwhelming view of the public is for draconian measures until the cases subside convincingly and we can gradually "brick by brick" release measures.    😷

4 hours ago, Observer II said:

and the queue jumping ?    😷

The Standard Operating Procedure requires that proof of qualifying employment is shown at the time you present for vaccination. The government have written to all care providers telling them to get a full list via the Council's Director of Adult Services. The fact that such a list hadn't been produced is the problem not that the booking system accepted all comers. The issue is probably on of risking wasting the vaccine if non-qualified punters turn up at a slot. It isn't an app problem as such it is the usal organisation disaster that is local government and the NHS.

• Upvote 1

There is no case for teachers getting it first at all. Teachers do not have a higher prevalence of disease than other adults. Children of secondary school age have over six times the probability of introducing the infection in to a household than other adults. Secondary school children act as super-spreaders amongst themselves and then have a high probability equal to adults in spreading it around their household. It is pretty obvious why - they are not careful with other kids and the are not careful with their family. They have to keep distant with the teaches and are in a formal setting. So vaccinating teachers ahead of their age cohort is not necessary because the are not at increased risk of serious illness compared with the rest of that cohort. However secondary school kids are an absolute menace and secondary schools should be closed until they work out if vaccination prevents transmission. Based on the survey of infected NHS staff with antibodies it is quite possible it will not prevent transmission but there is more work to be as I understand it. Vaccinating teachers is just queue jumping by public sector workers. Supermarket staff are much more deserving as I understand it.

It’s a difficult issue with so many are classed as key workers. But does it really matter when we all come out of this at the same time.

I heard the other day that in China, the priority for the vaccinations was to put workers before the sick and elderly in order to minimise economic damage, they don’t mess about do they?

Bill 😊

In China the queue jumpers would be shot or sent to camps - unless of course they were members of the CCP !  😉  Con, I fully agree with your previous posts, it seems HMG are organisationally disfunctional and divided amongst themselves; not that the opposition could do any better.   Priti Patel suggested last March that entrants to the UK should be screened,  but BoJo overuled her.  Sadly he's trying to be popular with his back benchers, unfortunately in these circumstances, leadership requires hard decisions that will no doubt make him unpopular with his cronies.   😷  Bill, it's not a "difficult issue", HMG have made the rules, it's now a question of compliance.   😷

16 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Buck stops at number 10.     :rolleyes:

Here is the story about how the queue jumpers really did it. Hospital offered covid jabs ‘on demand’ for several weeks | News | Health Service Journal (hsj.co.uk)

They let the phone number circulate on social media, knew about it but didn't stop it. So that would be misguided NHS staff in Southwark deciding they knew best. No doubt that was due to some mistake that No 10 didn't know was possible but it is obviously their fault!!!

So this real story here should be how a Micky Mouse web site can take something that doesn’t make a jot of difference in real terms and try to turn it into a scandal. If there was a number released for concerned people to ring and people then abused it, then criticise the abusers rather than the hospital and or the government

Bill :)