Travel Ban ?

Observer II

Seems we've banned travel into the UK, without proof of a negative covid test.   However, this still doesn't seem to apply to illegal immigrants who are still arriving in boats from France.  Macron is failing to honour the recent treaty curbing this activity,  and we're still allowing these illegal entrants to linger in the UK, while HR lawyers abuse the legal system, paid for by legal aid from the taxpayer.   Priti needs to get a grip, and change laws to allow immediate deportation of all who enter the UK illegally.    😠

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

Seems we've banned travel into the UK, without proof of a negative covid test.   However, this still doesn't seem to apply to illegal immigrants who are still arriving in boats from France.  Macron is failing to honour the recent treaty curbing this activity,  and we're still allowing these illegal entrants to linger in the UK, while HR lawyers abuse the legal system, paid for by legal aid from the taxpayer.   Priti needs to get a grip, and change laws to allow immediate deportation of all who enter the UK illegally.    😠

How would that work for bona-fide asylum seekers fleeing from state persecution then? Asking the economic migrants to let us know who they are so we could urgently deport them might not work so well don't you think? 

58 minutes ago, Confused52 said:

How would that work for bona-fide asylum seekers fleeing from state persecution then? Asking the economic migrants to let us know who they are so we could urgently deport them might not work so well don't you think? 

Bona-fide asylum seekers fleeing from state persecution have the option of applying for asylum in the first safe country they arrive in. How often is the UK the first safe country people arrive in by inflateable boat?

• Upvote 1

This isn’t exactly spot the difference.

Unlike the airports, we’ve had this problem for years and haven’t ben able to come up with a solution. At the moment with this virus, the illegals are probably taking a bigger risk in coming here and if it gets much worse they may end up passing Brits in dinghy's going the other way. I suppose the only thing that can be done is to give those that get caught a test before we lock them away as normal. There’s nothing anyone can do about those that get through and I doubt that even testing positive before they set off would deter them.

Bill 😊

As Asp says - legitimate refugees have the opportunity of applying for asylum in the first Country they reach or they could apply for a UK visa at a UK Embassy abroad.  That leaves the illegals, and as such, HMG need to change whatever laws are required to allow for instant deportation on capture.    😠

7 minutes ago, Observer II said:

As Asp says - legitimate refugees have the opportunity of applying for asylum in the first Country they reach or they could apply for a UK visa at a UK Embassy abroad.  That leaves the illegals, and as such, HMG need to change whatever laws are required to allow for instant deportation on capture.    😠

If you were in that predicament and the only language you spoke to any degree other than your own was English, would you apply for asylum in Italy, or France or try to get to the UK. Most of them are not real asylum seekers but the system has to allow such people to come in because the UK is one of the original signatories of the convention on refugee status back in 1951. To renege on that would be devastating to the UK's international reputation.

What Asp alluded to was the Dublin Convention which is an EU agreement. The Dublin Convention ceased to apply to the UK at the end of last year and no replacement agreement has been negotiated.

Yes Con, nobody on the continent of Europe speaks English, literally nobody 🙄. It might surprise you to know that many people in Africa are multi-lingual by necessity so I don't think your "they need to come to an English speaking country" argument holds much water. If they have an honest case for seeking asylum in this country there are legal ways to do it.

16 hours ago, Confused52 said:

Returning them to France(where they departed from) is hardly a bad country they would be safe there.

But why do they want to come here so much?

Are the state benefits better or housing easier to aquire ?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, asperity said:

Yes Con, nobody on the continent of Europe speaks English, literally nobody 🙄. It might surprise you to know that many people in Africa are multi-lingual by necessity so I don't think your "they need to come to an English speaking country" argument holds much water. If they have an honest case for seeking asylum in this country there are legal ways to do it.

If you go to Germany the state schools will teach your kids in German. Every one speaks better English that we speak their language but if you live there the expect you to speak the language or so my colleagues who do live there told me.

23 minutes ago, Confused52 said:

If you go to Germany the state schools will teach your kids in German. Every one speaks better English that we speak their language but if you live there the expect you to speak the language or so my colleagues who do live there told me.

During my working years I spent a lot of time in European automotive plants talking regularly to most levels of employees and their grasp of English always amazed me.

I was in awe how they could switch from their mother tongue to English quicker than bat of the eye.

Perhaps because English has become a recognised International language, air traffic etc, US movies and culture.   This has probably led to our arrogance in not learning foreign languages and having an education system that devotes itself to woke ideology instead of the pragmatism of the economy.    :unsure:

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Confused52 said:

I think you missed that I was being sarcastic. I think the reason migrants want to come to the UK has more to do with their idea that this is the land of milk and honey rather than the language.

The last time I was in Nigeria I asked a Nigerian I was working with why Nigerians wanted to move to the UK and he told me it's because the UK is "such a big country with a lot fewer people" compared to Nigeria and I couldn't convince him that Nigeria has nearly 4 times the land area of the UK because he has seen it on world maps.

They may suffer relative poverty in a third world setting,  but will have access to movies, TV and mobile phones,  all showing advanced technology and infrastructure in the UK; that hides the plight of the homeless poor.   Then when they are told you can get free money from the State and free housing, the draw becomes too great.   😠

We’re all good at moaning about it but what could be done about it without rewriting the rules? The only deterrent I can think of would be to immediately return all illegal immigrant without any checks what so ever and give them information for how they could legally apply to move here. That way, we’re not paying out for their food and accommodation while their details are checked, or they take us to courts of appeal.    

Bill 😊

Rewrite the rules simple: HMG has a majority in Parliament, it could change the law to allow immediate deportation of all illegal entrants into the UK and end the abuse of legal aid by allowing it only for UK citizens.   If this requires reneging on HR Treaties - so be it;   Macron has just reneged on a Treaty he signed with Patel, to stop these illegals from crossing the channel, it cost us £29million.      😠

• Upvote 2

Despite the so-called travel ban, there are still around 100,000 folk arriving by air into the UK every week, with the risk of sharing new variants of  the virus.  There is now talk of enforced quarantining in hotels, which imo should have been in place 12 months ago.   Too little - too late - again.   😷

Seems like we’re going to get Observer’s wish this afternoon or part of it at least. It makes sense to enforce a strict quarantine for anyone traveling in from counties deemed to be high risk but there should be no need to do the same with people coming in from countries where infections are almost non-existent.

I can’t see many folk wanting to take a cheap break in Portugal now if they have to pay for a two week stay in a UK hotel when they get back. Or indeed anyone even booking holiday in the short term if more countries can get added to the list.

I wonder what the going rate for these would be. From what I’ve paid for some of the hotels I’ve used in the UK for a one-night stay, I could have had a week’s foreign holiday.

Bill 😊

I think they call it a proportional response Obs. Sure people could bring in the virus but if they come from a place like New Zealand where the virus isn’t as widespread, then surly you’ve got infinitely more chance of catching it from your neighbours than from the visitor.

If you’re not careful, you’ll end up damaging yourself more with worry than the virus.

Bill 😊