Too Late -

Observer II

I suppose the more places you can get the jab, the more complicated the process of ensuring that things are done in the right order become and I’m not sure how this will work.

One assumes that somewhere, there’s a big list of who’s next where they contact us when it’s our time and explain the options about where we can go for it. I only know of one person who’s had it done (and both jabs) but no idea of how it was arranged.

We must believe that someone’s working these things out and that we’re all going to get done eventually, so we just have to be patient and not worry too much about it.

Bill 😊

chemists would be unsuitable as they tend to be small places with lots of areas that are hard to keep "clean".

Areas for vaccination need to be uncluttered to allow ease of cleaning and disinfecting. they also need to have separate entrances and exits and an area that can deal with any side effects such as fainting or allergic reaction.

a separate secure area for vaccine prep also needs to be available along with suitable refrigeration.

Otherwise they could just operate a drive through system, roll down window stick out arm, jab ouch. next......🤣

But the 21 days is probably the minimum time that needs to be allowed between injections rather than a number that shouldn’t be deviated from. Under ideal conditions the idea would be to get the maximum possible level of protection as quickly as possible but current conditions are far from ideal, so it makes sense to vaccinate more now even if it’s slightly less effective. I’m no expert but if there was only enough vaccine around to give all the people one dose then that would be better than leaving half unvaccinated.

Quite possibly, from what some are saying, we're going to be getting more booster doses well into the future.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Bill said:

But the 21 days is probably the minimum time that needs to be allowed between injections rather than a number that shouldn’t be deviated from. Under ideal conditions the idea would be to get the maximum possible level of protection as quickly as possible but current conditions are far from ideal, so it makes sense to vaccinate more now even if it’s slightly less effective. I’m no expert but if there was only enough vaccine around to give all the people one dose then that would be better than leaving half unvaccinated.

Quite possibly, from what some are saying, we're going to be getting more booster doses well into the future.

Bill 😊

I was listening to More or Less on Radio4, there was an interview with a member of the JCVI, who made the recommendation to extend the interval. He said that the Pfizer trial was designed just to prove the 21 days then second dose method. However the actual result was close to 90% efficacy at the 21 day point and beyond. In the first few days there is no efficacy at all because it takes time to work. He said that there is no reason to believe efficacy falls quickly at all after 21 days and that they have data from the period later on that suggests that it will still be close to 90% at 12 weeks. You appear to be a good substitute for a expert on this one Bill.

You are very likely to be right about the booster doses and they may also target more than one variant. The mRNA needs improvement for storage but it may allow multiple payloads and so when fully developed you could see it delivering multiple Covid and flu strains each year. It won't happen by next year but give it five years. That would be immensely helpful because today the have to guess which flu strains will be circulating six months or more in advance and they sometimes get it wrong. That is partly why the flu jab appears ineffective at 50%, mRNA vaccines could dramatically improve the annual flu vaccine too with jus the one jab each winter for all over 50s. We will have to wait a while to see what is needed for the under 50s.

• Upvote 2

The current national protocol for the Pfizer vaccine includes the need for vaccine recipients to be monitored for 15 minutes after vaccination, with a longer observation period when indicated after clinical assessment.

Above quote from the BMA website yesterdays update.

The official line on the two dose is that the first prepares the immune system response and gets it to recognise the virus and the second then strengthens that response.

What people will need to realise is that the immunity after the injection is not immediate. it may be up to three days before the immune system has started to develop a defence. after 21 days it should be at it's maximum for that particular dose and hence the need for the top up dose at that time to add that extra little bit of protection.

No doubt there will be those who will say "yippee i am now immune lets go out and celebrate" as they leave the vaccination centre....🤭

Immune folk can still spread the infection on hands and clothing, so we won't be over this until almost everyone is vaccinated.   That will presumably consign the virus to the ranks of a common cold or annual flu.  Just remains the problem of variants appearing,  like the one that's just flown over from Brazil.      😷

I read last night that before you receive a call from the local doctor’s surgery, you might get a letter advising that you can prebook a slot at one of the larger centres which might involve traveling some distance. Apparently, this caused some confusion and so it’s being reworded to make it clear that you should only go to the big centres if you have concerns but otherwise to ignore the letter and wait for the call so that you can be done locally.

It makes sense to me because I’m not overly concerned although I know of others that would be behind me on the list that are worried to death. I know some might see this as queue jumping but we've put up with this for so long and we’ll all come out of it at the same time, so it really doesn’t make any difference.

As for spreading the virus, that’s still going to happen (especially from touch) whether your vaccinated or not but at least if you are vaccinated then the virus doesn’t get the chance to fully infect you so there’s less chance to spread it by the breath.

Anyway, I’ve posted more than enough for now and it’s off to take my chances at Specsavers.

Bill 😊