Happy New Year

asperity

• 2 weeks later...

Belated Happy New Year everyone! Only taken me 11 days to find time to get on here! :roll: Mind you still no happy new year from Dizzy!

I have been busy manually adding a new member who couldn't get on as we block gmail accounts due to the large number of spammers. So if you see Dorothy R post on a local history topic please ensure a warm welcome!

Thanks for adding me as a member Gary and thanks for the welcome. I've not used forums before so please bear with me if I don't know how these things work. The main reason I wanted to join was that I was on Google looking for old photos of Bank Quay and was directed to a post on here from Algy. In particular there was a photo of Glass House Row 1907. Unfortunately the post was from 2011 or 2012 and the images were not available. I thought If I was a member they would become available but no luck. My grandma was from a family called Houltram who were glassmakers over 3 generations. There were Oultrams/Houltrams in Glass House Row from at least 1841 to 1861 and it would have been nice to see their humble abode.

• Upvote 1

Hi Dorothy

I think what happens is that a lot of the photos are held on other web sites and sometimes these get deleted or the company goes out of business. Algy may still have access to them but he’s not been around for a while, but he does pop on here now and again. The best place to find anything like this is further down the pages under Photos of Warrington. Anyway, good luck in your search.

Bill 😊

Thanks for the replies guys. Not sure if the archive section of the library is open at the moment but they do have lots of old photos which I'm sure I will check out once it is safe. As for the glass industry, I do have lots of info on Robinson's where my folks worked until they closed down in 1933. We have even inherited some ruby glassware that we are fairly sure came from there. I'm really just after old photos of where my ancestors lived/worked at the moment - the older the better - and about 98% of my family tree is based in Warrington. 

On 1/12/2021 at 3:39 PM, Dorothy R said:

Thanks for adding me as a member Gary and thanks for the welcome. I've not used forums before so please bear with me if I don't know how these things work. The main reason I wanted to join was that I was on Google looking for old photos of Bank Quay and was directed to a post on here from Algy. In particular there was a photo of Glass House Row 1907. Unfortunately the post was from 2011 or 2012 and the images were not available. I thought If I was a member they would become available but no luck. My grandma was from a family called Houltram who were glassmakers over 3 generations. There were Oultrams/Houltrams in Glass House Row from at least 1841 to 1861 and it would have been nice to see their humble abode.

Welcome to the forum Dorothy and it is great to see you already engaging with members. While we have people join on a regular basis few choose to post, so considering you are a novice well done. If you enjoy local history we recently created a local history section on the main site which you can visit here https://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/category/community/local-history/

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 3:39 PM, Dorothy R said:

Hi and welcome to the forum Dorothy.  As you've said some of the older photos aren't accessible now as many of us used to store our own photos on other hosts like photo bucket and we'd post the direct link to those as it was the only way we could post lots of pics at the time. 

Don't worry though as I've probably still got a photo of Glass House Row on my discs and if I've not Algy B definitely will have in his huge collection.  I'm going to work now so won't be able to dig mine out until tomorrow.  

Oh and Happy New Year everyone, I was sure I'd already said it on here but clearly not lol

On 1/13/2021 at 10:04 AM, Davy51 said:

Excellent Dorothy ! Concerning glass , there is a topic on one of the forums about early glass making in Earlestown  entitled "Vitriol Square " .

Thanks Davy51 but my interest in glass is only in passing and I have lots of info on Robinsons Glassworks. I am researching my family tree and the glassmakers are pretty much done. 

On 1/14/2021 at 1:17 PM, Dizzy said:

Hi and welcome to the forum Dorothy.  As you've said some of the older photos aren't accessible now as many of us used to store our own photos on other hosts like photo bucket and we'd post the direct link to those as it was the only way we could post lots of pics at the time. 

Don't worry though as I've probably still got a photo of Glass House Row on my discs and if I've not Algy B definitely will have in his huge collection.  I'm going to work now so won't be able to dig mine out until tomorrow.  

Oh and Happy New Year everyone, I was sure I'd already said it on here but clearly not lol

Thanks for the offer of the photo Dizzy but as you may have already seen I have the one on the Museum's website. I assume it is the same one.