Things that make you go erm.

Bill

5 hours ago, Bill said:

A couple of more things to add to my grumpy list.

Warburtons crumpets. Why on earth don’t they pack them like everyone else. I can’t think of any reason why they need to use atomic welding glue to seal their packets and then have to print explanations of how open them using scissors or a can opener. Then when you do eventually get them out, they’re too bloody thick to go in the toaster. I think this is something they learned after years of making their thick sliced “Toaster” bread that was always too wide to fit into any toaster unless you cut the crusts off. Grrrrrrr

Nivia post shave balm I’ve used this product for years and it’s always come with a distinctive rectangular screw on cap that’s easy to grip. Now some clever clogs has decided we’re loosing too much of our valuable time having to turn the cap a full turn and has come up with a design where it can be closed with less than 10 degrees of rotation. To tighten anything with such a small movement obviously requires a lot more effort, so what do they do, they replace the rectangular cap where you could at least get some leverage, with a small smooth round cap that makes it near impossible for someone like me to open. Double Grrrrrrrrrr.

Bill 😊

I think some of the annoyances that multiply every day will one day provide a need for the return of lunatic asylums , Bill. I've had quarter turn bathroom taps for 12 months & still can't get used to 'em. Why do tablets have to be put into that soft plastic/foil substance they use nowadays when more often than not the tablet flirts onto the floor & under the nearest furniture ?

1 hour ago, Davy51 said:

I think some of the annoyances that multiply every day will one day provide a need for the return of lunatic asylums , Bill. I've had quarter turn bathroom taps for 12 months & still can't get used to 'em. Why do tablets have to be put into that soft plastic/foil substance they use nowadays when more often than not the tablet flirts onto the floor & under the nearest furniture ?

Mine roll under the bed quite often!

Luckily, the only medication I use is ibuprofen gel for my wrist. I’ve tried all sorts of makes but the best (and most expensive) is Ibuleve but unlike all the others, this one stinks like a pile of old wet nappies. The ingredients lists purified water, maybe it should read putrified water.

Bill 😊

Davy, I have quarter turn taps on a modern bathroom suite I put in a couple of years back. I’ve just about go used to them, but the sink plughole is a complete waste of time. It’s one of those push down to close and push again to open. I’ve already had to replace the mechanism once before but now this one wont stay shut without pressing the thing about ten times. It’s much the same with the press button toilet flush that half the time stays dribbling and needs a sharp push on the half flush button to stop it.

But at least going to the loo in our house isn't boring, it's become a challenging game of skill and a source of entertainment for me as I sit here listening to the choice language of the lessor skilled Mrs Green. :) 

Bill 😊

• Haha 1

Oh I forgot to mention, another thing about the silly push to open and close plug thing. If there’s any experts here on fluid dynamics that can explain why when pushed to release the water, no water goes down and it needs to be pushed and released again before it does. This has to rate as one of the most useless inventions ever.

Bill 😊

I'll stick with the plug on a chain.

my mother had a sink in her bathroom that had one of those silly plugs. The number of times i had to adjust it or clean the joints and re grease them to get it to work was crazy. seemed to be about every two weeks. i put it down to mum having a heavy hand when it came to prodding it.

The biggest problem i had with the loo flush was the buttons sticking down as the springs had rusted away. fortunately managed to source a replacement button from wickes as most of the other diy places only did those that have cord system. whacked plenty of vaseline in the springs to help stop them rusting as quick before i fitted it as well. so far so good.

Did have a slight problem with the syphon not closing so that the water did not fill just ran straight through. turned out Mr sid had used one of those toilet freshener tablet things and the residue was caught under the syphon seal. Took about a hour of cleaning and fiddling before i got that sorted out.

Thanks for the tip Sid, I've just given the thing a good dosing with WD40 and it seems more reliable now but how long it'll stay that way is another thing. As for the water not going down the first time, it's still doing that, but I've noticed I can press and release it normally and every time the water stays but if I blip it (do it rapidly), the water rushes out. It's weird because the plunger thing pops up as normal whichever way it's done so it can't be an airlock. At least I only have to press the thing three times to empty the sink which is ok but still a bit rubbish.

Bill 😊

The other day I saw on telly something about a man and his wife having arguments over toothpaste. The woman said she had to snip off the bottom corner of the tube because she couldn’t make it come out from the top. Immediately, I pipe up that I know exactly what she means only to be followed by Mr Green saying that she was finding it the same but thought it was just her.

Why the bloody stuff just won’t come out when you squeeze the tube is completely baffling unless the tube was designed by the same person who designed my plughole. This has nothing to do with my fakey hand btw. What’s wrong with these people when we can send spacecraft to distant planets but can’t make a tube of toothpaste that works.

Colgate 75ml toothpaste, probably the best toothpaste in the world if you could ever get it to come out.

Bill 😊

• Haha 1

It doesn’t seem to matter that much where you squeeze it, the stuff just doesn’t come out. It’s probably due to the plastic material they’ve made the tube from being too rigid, so it retains its original shape even when its only half full. Because of this, most of what comes out is just air and the actual toothpaste remains down at the bottom which may explain why the TV lady found it better to cut the bottom corner off.

The old tubes could be squeezed from the bottom and that would remain flat and could even be rolled up to get that last bit out, but not with these you can’t. Even when these tubes are empty, they look just the same as a full one. I’ve never come across this before so maybe it’s so new that you’ve yet to experience it.

Bill 😊

not many cans need a can opener these days do they?

thought most were ring pull.

I have a couple of can openers that i have "inherited" over the years.

i have a "stab the tin and hope you don't lose a finger in the process" type with the bottle opener and corkscrew in the handle.

The clip to the top and spend half an hour trying to get it to grip the lip one

The place on top and slice the lid from the side type

And an electric one with magnetic lid lifter and knife sharpener.

only one i haven't had is those place on the top and stand back whilst it does the business ones.

If you are really desperate you don't actually need a ca opener. just a lump of concrete and a bit of water for lubrication.

drip water on concrete.

place can on water apply slight pressure to can and using a rotary motion move can around until the lip wears away. squeeze can gently to pop lid off.