Practice what you preach.

Just to see where we are on the age scale - market research for you Gary.    How many people actually did business with "the stores horse", how many remember the doctor visiting your house on request?  How many actually listened to the radio reports of the 'blitz', how many listened to Lord Haw Haw on the radio and  Itma. 

How many remember a traffic circle at Market Gate, Burtons Tailors and the Royal Court Theater?   The level crossing on Wildersppool Causeway, 30,000 people at Wilderspool. How many WALKED to Market Gate for the New Years Eve celebration?

What is your favorite memory from when Warrington was a ' everybody knows evertbody' town to today.   

Ok, that's enough nostalgia, how do we attract new people who don't remember the war, or the New Town, or even the IRA ?  Here's the question, what, other than politics can provide a discussion platform for 30 yr olds ?   Surely our generation didn't hog all of the highlights, although Buddy Holly was pretty good - he was sensational !

Im working my butt off here Gary !

• Upvote 1

Well I remember the doctor doing house visits all the time, I remember The New Town as my uncle wrote a song about it at the time that was released on 45 vinyl and I still have a copy.   It was pretty naff though lol 
I remember the IRA of course and the Warrington bombings too  but have to be honest the rest I only 'remember' cos others have posted about them or uploaded photos over the years.

so the turn of the millennium when today's 30 year olds were 10 years old. or year 2000.

A time of worry over the world ending because all the computers would suddenly stop working, planes and satellites would come crashing down out of the sky people would go into hysterical mode and wage war on their nearest neighbour. Never happened despite all the hype, (which for some reason disappointed me a little)

so the 30 year olds of today, from experience with my nieces and nephews who are around that age do not seem much different to me when i was aged thirty, half a life time ago. worry about job security, although one niece seems to change jobs more often than she changes her shoes. can i afford the latest gadget. do i really need to buy a house and am i as fit as i could be.

problem i have relating to this is that i have mostly nieces and only two nephews, one of which i never hear from as he is in a secure unit due to metal health problems. so from a male perspective i am sadly lacking in knowledge

so if any thirty something wants to come on here and enlighten me i would welcome it but probably end up giving comments like it weren't like that when i were a lad, like my grandad used to say.

stopping now as getting depressed because i realise that i am getting to be an old man....😭

Stalard.

It’d be good if we could attract anyone here these days irrespective of age. Back in the days though, when this was the only place online where people could comment, it was like a community centre serving a wide range of ages, but now, we’re the old man’s pub, no women, most on a pension and all talking about who just farted.

I think it’s a fact of life that given the choice, and in the absence of any shared interest, people will gather in groups where the only thing they have in common is age. If this was something like a fishing forum, it wouldn’t matter what age people were, in fact the young would probably prefer to seek out the older more experienced person for advice.

As a general discussion forum it’s mainly current affairs on the menu, not everyone’s cup of tea I know but at least we have it broken down into sections so boring stuff like politics can at least be kept off my table. But seriously, you talk about all the politics here but it’s really not so bad these days providing we keep stuff where it should be.

On a wider scale, it’s worth remembering that the internet is full of automated algorithms that target specific age groups and steer them to where it thinks they should be and that way the advertising they see is be more appropriate.

I didn’t even really want to come here but the internet made me.

Bill 😊

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 12:05 AM, Stallard12 said:

Just to see where we are on the age scale - market research for you Gary.    How many people actually did business with "the stores horse", how many remember the doctor visiting your house on request?  How many actually listened to the radio reports of the 'blitz', how many listened to Lord Haw Haw on the radio and  Itma. 

How many remember a traffic circle at Market Gate, Burtons Tailors and the Royal Court Theater?   The level crossing on Wildersppool Causeway, 30,000 people at Wilderspool. How many WALKED to Market Gate for the New Years Eve celebration?

What is your favorite memory from when Warrington was a ' everybody knows evertbody' town to today.   

Ok, that's enough nostalgia, how do we attract new people who don't remember the war, or the New Town, or even the IRA ?  Here's the question, what, other than politics can provide a discussion platform for 30 yr olds ?   Surely our generation didn't hog all of the highlights, although Buddy Holly was pretty good - he was sensational !

Im working my butt off here Gary !

Thanks Stallard - as I have reported on the town for 40 years I can remember or have written about pretty much all of it - and I remember the doctor visiting me at home still when I was first married which means it must have been in the last 26 years!