More self inflicted woes -

Observer II

Covidiot is a term I'd have no reservations about using but for me it describes the spreaders rather than those unfortunate enough to get infected. Fortunately, I’ve seen few instances where I'd class anyone this way, the exception being thirty or so footy supporters all crowded together watching a match in the pub.

In any sense of the word, they were truly Covidiots.

Bill :)

So none of the people who have ended up in hospital with, and in some cases died from, Covid-19 are "Covidiots" then? Glad that's been made clear, although it hasn't made it any easier for me to know who to avoid if I go out  🙄.

Bill, you can obviously recognise one on sight so you should be safe 😉.

On 12/14/2020 at 10:44 AM, asperity said:

I'd be interested to know if pubs play any part in infection rates. From what I've read you have more chance of catching Covid in hospital than in a pub!

Apparently data/research showed a few weeks ago that the most likely place to catch it was in supermarkets.  They had asked people where they had been prior to testing positive and that's where most had been.  When you think about it people are always picking things up and putting them down again and with all the good will and daily COVID cleaning routines in shops they can only clean trolleys, doors and other main touch points.  Doubt card payment machines get cleaned after every customer enters their pins.    Everything else constantly being touched by shoppers and staff on stock shelves never gets cleaned.

The couple of local pubs I've been since all this started were always abiding by all rules and doing a fab job of keeping everyone safe and distanced but despite all their great efforts they were made to close again.  I felt safer in the pub than I do anywhere else including work.  I'm sure there are some pubs and bars that were probably flounting the rules though and no doubt customers were too.  Too much alcohol and rules have never been a never a good combination in some circles.  You only have to look how bad Warrington Town centre always used to be every weekend before Covid..... horrid place at night.  I'm sort of glad it will be mostly closed to the drunken yobbish riff raff this xmas and I'm sure the police will be too :)              

11 hours ago, Dizzy said:

Apparently data/research showed a few weeks ago that the most likely place to catch it was in supermarkets.  They had asked people where they had been prior to testing positive and that's where most had been.  When you think about it people are always picking things up and putting them down again and with all the good will and daily COVID cleaning routines in shops they can only clean trolleys, doors and other main touch points.  Doubt card payment machines get cleaned after every customer enters their pins.    Everything else constantly being touched by shoppers and staff on stock shelves never gets cleaned.

The couple of local pubs I've been since all this started were always abiding by all rules and doing a fab job of keeping everyone safe and distanced but despite all their great efforts they were made to close again.  I felt safer in the pub than I do anywhere else including work.  I'm sure there are some pubs and bars that were probably flounting the rules though and no doubt customers were too.  Too much alcohol and rules have never been a never a good combination in some circles.  You only have to look how bad Warrington Town centre always used to be every weekend before Covid..... horrid place at night.  I'm sort of glad it will be mostly closed to the drunken yobbish riff raff this xmas and I'm sure the police will be too :)              

That's because more or less everybody you ask will have been in at least one supermarket this week, but you can't say the same about pubs and restaurants (even before any lockdown)

I knew there was a reason why I've only been in the town centre at night once in the last 10 years! Even after games at the Halliwell Jones I go straight home 🤣

😄   Just observant.    Here's another observation -  we've been told of the racial inequalities of the pandemic and how death rates are higher within BAME groups; and now we have a vaccine coming on stream, guess which group is most reluctant to have the vaccine ?   :rolleyes:   😷

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Dizzy said:

Apparently data/research showed a few weeks ago that the most likely place to catch it was in supermarkets.  

Dizzy,

The data is in the PHE surveillance report but it only asks where people have been and it does not make an implication that people catch it in supermarkets. As Asp points out you would expect that everyone would have had to go to a supermarket in the previous 7 days. If they had left it out they would have been accused on not telling the whole story!!!

However, as you know I look at and analyse the Warrington data from PHE. The day on which the case data started to rise again in Warrington was the 4th December. They didn't all rush out to the supermarket that day I suggest. As usual the change in rules was having an effect just before it came in to effect. That is why you hear people saying that it was already falling before lockdown come it. People do anticipate change and change behaviour, it is just a fact. So what the evidence shows is that Christmas shopping, Pubs and restaurants or non-essential retail could be the problem. Or it could be something else but it probably isn't supermarkets at the moment. The age distribution suggests that the average number of new cases per day only increased compared to two weeks earlier in one age group and that was 25-29. That is all the hard evidence I have. 

I agree with Asp on this one. The vast majority go to the supermarket at least once a week but that’s not the case with pubs and restaurants so it’s easy to jump to the wrong conclusion. My view is that nowhere is 100% safe and it’s a case of minimising both contact numbers and time spent near them to minimise the viral load.

When this first appeared, we were shown numerous animations of spreading by coughs and sneezes, but these days it’s generally accepted that much of it can be airborne. Everybody knows how far the smell of a cigarette can spread, even outdoors, so it might have been better to use this to explain things rather than focusing on snot droplets.  

23 minutes ago, asperity said:

At the current rate of vaccination, we will have all had the jab in around 7 years - if we live that long 🙄

Indeed... Warrington started to vaccinate last night at the Orford Hub. Either Manchester or Liverpool must have run out of patients with a bit of vaccine left over do you think?

The wife and I were in M&S this morning and the food department was so packed that you could hardly move around. There was absolutely no chance to social distance, so we decided to give it a miss. At one time all shops were limiting how many they allowed in but now it looks like that ideas gone out of the window for Christmas. 

This wasn't just a crowd, it was a M&S crowd. :)

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

The wife and I were in M&S this morning and the food department was so packed that you could hardly move around. There was absolutely no chance to social distance, so we decided to give it a miss. At one time all shops were limiting how many they allowed in but now it looks like that ideas gone out of the window for Christmas. 

This wasn't just a crowd, it was a M&S crowd. :)

I have stopped using lidl until I get vacinated for much the same reason, their store is so cramped customers can't distance because of the tiny aisles

Well we ended up back at Sainsbury's which finally looks like all the work there has finished. The place was almost empty with no checkout queues but I think so many people like me, stayed away because of all the disruption. My wife actually commented that there seemed to be a lot more space now than there was before which is good but dosn't make up for the fact that you can't find anything.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

Well we ended up back at Sainsbury's which finally looks like all the work there has finished. The place was almost empty with no checkout queues but I think so many people like me, stayed away because of all the disruption. My wife actually commented that there seemed to be a lot more space now than there was before which is good but dosn't make up for the fact that you can't find anything.

Bill,

Last time in Sainsbury's after the work had finished there were still empty shelves and lot of product lines missing. What time was it today when you found M&S FoodHall too busy to go in please? 

I'm not sure exactly but it must have been about mid-day which might go some way in explaining why it was so busy. I'm not one those people that are ott about distancing, but it was so packed it just didn't look safe to me, and in any case, we would have only picked up a few things there rather than a full shop. 

Sainsbury's from what I could see was 100% finished and there were definitely no empty shelves. We normally go there around 9/10 am so today we were a few hours behind, but I got the feeling that maybe people were still avoiding the place due to the recent disruptions.

Bill 😊

Both aldi and tesco have a traffic light above the entrance. Green you can go in red you have to wait.

Tesco have somebody outside keeping an eye on things and making sure people obey the lights. ( i do wonder if the lycra brigade try to get in when the red light is on as they seem to ignore red lights most of the time)....🤭

Not sure if aldi do the same will have a look later on as i have to do a shop there today.

Think we're looking at the biggest spreading spree over the Xmas relaxation, with many areas, like Wales, already programmed for a lock down afterwards. The Gov are acting like pestered parents, giving way to a bunch of spoiled brats.  Clearly it's all going to end in tiers.     😠   😷

21 hours ago, Bill said:

I notice the in store chemist has not returned.Which is inconvenient as the one just over the road from Sainsburys has also closed.