The Crown

Latchford Locks

36 minutes ago, Evil Sid said:

it refers to the fact that during the aparthaid era(1985?),  48 of the 49 commonwealth countries are committed to imposing sanctions on South Africa. The UK being the only one to hold out. Hence 48:1

Cheers Sid.👍

I had been pondering the question for hours but now you tell me it seems so relevant to the theme of the episode .

Makes me wonder if the lasting memory of Margaret Thatcher by Her Majesty would have been one of mutual loathing or respect. Guess we will never know 🧐

Wondered what this topic was about, as I don't watch fiction pretending to be historical fact;  but apparently the Culture Secretary has asked for a warning notice by Netflix to warn viewers that this is a fictional series.   Clearly needed imo, as we live in an age where our level of education is so scant that it makes people vulnerable  to  any Hollywood style fantasy parading as the truth.    :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

Wondered what this topic was about, as I don't watch fiction pretending to be historical fact;  but apparently the Culture Secretary has asked for a warning notice by Netflix to warn viewers that this is a fictional series.   Clearly needed imo, as we live in an age where our level of education is so scant that it makes people vulnerable  to  any Hollywood style fantasy parading as the truth.    :rolleyes:

You don't know what your missing Obs.

The Crown is very well done, although you have to realise that, although the timeline is probably accurate enough, it's really a dramatisation rather than a documentary. It's been made as entertainment not education, although the yoof might pick up some history education they will never get at school.

• Upvote 1

Well whatever peoples reservations it must be mana from heaven for Netflix ..........

And surely in these very trying times a bit of escapism is just what people crave for,

The Crown series four had more viewers in its first week than Prince Charles and Princess Diana's real wedding had in 1981 as 29 MILLION globally tuned in
 A new report claims that 29 million people logged onto the streaming service to watch the latest series of the royal family drama in its first week of release

• Upvote 1

There's another angle to this - historical dramas can distort the truth for dramatic purposes; but as one can't libel the dead it can be ignored.  However, when living folk are being portrayed it becomes more serious.   Be interesting to see how they deal with the escapades of Randy Andy for instance;  Harry and Meagain are already trying to be kept out of it;  and Diana's brother has had nothing to do with it.  :unsure:   

You can't beat a good hysterical drama. Peasant villages that would win best kept village these days they were so clean. Castles that can withstand a siege but can easily be entered by the hero. swords so sharp that they can cut candles in two without knocking them over.

Ah the good old days.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Observer II said:

I've been binge watching Netflix lately,  most of which is frankly rubbish imo.   Watched one about Marco Polo, which I thought could be informative, but when a blind Shou Lin Monk started flying through the air and doing martial arts, it lost me.     :rolleyes:

Sounds terrible 😕

17 hours ago, Observer II said:

but when a blind Shou Lin Monk started flying through the air and doing martial arts, it lost me.     

But that is what blind shaolin monks, do everybody who has watched any martial arts film knows that.

The hero in a martial arts film only ever fights one opponent, even if surrounded by twenty or more they politely wait their turn to get thrown across a room or through a wall.

It's like bond villains, they never just shoot bond dead on sight. they devise elaborate ways to kill him which he can easily negate and always tell him what their nefarious plan  to take over the world is.