No Hiding Place

Latchford Locks

Well I apologise to all avid doom mongers amongst us, but you can log off now; this is just a light hearted look at tonights tv.

Not another thread about our forthcoming extinction 😷

As I have just spotted No Hiding Place on Talking Pictures. It had Raymond Francis as Superintendent  Lockhart and Johnny Briggs (pre Corrie days) as his sidekick Sargent Russell I remember as a kid being glued to the screen every Friday(allowed to stay up past 8.00 as no school the next day ☺️). Only 25 episodes have survived the years out of 236 made. So I'm going to make a point of a nostalgic trip back to 1959 whilst I can, before these last few probably vanish in a few years.(Assuming we are still here 😆)

What did they say back in those days ? "Be There or Be Square"  📺

Get some interesting little snippets on there at times from the archives. people holidays films and the  like.

What always used to amuse me about no hiding place was the titles at the beginning.  That uniformed copper who stepped out to "stop traffic" when  the two motorbikes and the police car came along. They were the only vehicles on the road at the time.

• Haha 1

On 8/31/2020 at 9:22 PM, Latchford Locks said:

https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/schedule/

All the hidden gems are here ;-)

Great isn't it? I heard on a Media Show recently that it is a family firm with only three full time employees. The dad thought that TV execs were wrong to say that no-one will watch black and white any more. He was correct and there is a cult following amongst the older audience. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Latchford Locks said:

6.00 tonight the first ever Robin Hood ... With Richard Green and Alan Wheatley .... (September 1955) I remember rushing home from school to watch this series and being totally captivated with all the adventures...

Oh happy simple and innocent days.. I will travel back to those times tonight and spend 30 mins in another world so much more secure and reliable.

image.jpeg.fc7838468faa97365918769b39f3ccf9.jpeg

• Upvote 1

watched miss robin hood the other night.

Margaret Rutherford was the main star but a host of,now, familiar faces in supporting and minor roles. James Robertson Justice playing his usual loud villainous roll

sid james as a cabbie. reg varney as a copywriter and Dora Brian as a barmaid.

a silly comedy but worth the watch if you have nothing better to do.

• Upvote 1

Ah robin hood. "dah da da dada dah da da daaah, sproing whoosh boing," and cue the music. they do show that on talking pictures as well on certain days.

They do quite a few of the old series that used to inspire us kids to go out and try and maim each other with home made bows or swords made from pailings nicked out the fence Then there was the likes of ivanhoe and lancelot which was responsible for many a mop or brush to go missing to be used as a lance along with the bin lid as a shield.

Some of those games between us kids would make the battle of Hastings seem like a re-enactment group picnic.....:shock:

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

Ah robin hood. "dah da da dada dah da da daaah, sproing whoosh boing," and cue the music. they do show that on talking pictures as well on certain days.

They do quite a few of the old series that used to inspire us kids to go out and try and maim each other with home made bows or swords made from pailings nicked out the fence Then there was the likes of ivanhoe and lancelot which was responsible for many a mop or brush to go missing to be used as a lance along with the bin lid as a shield.

Some of those games between us kids would make the battle of Hastings seem like a re-enactment group picnic.....:shock:

And William Tell; with Land Burgher Gessler !

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

Am I getting a "Grey Moment" or was the theme tune the same as The Lone Rangers ?

Grey moment Latch. Your confusion comes from the Lone Ranger theme being "The William Tell Overture" from the William Tell opera by Rossini. The William Tell tv show had:

https://youtu.be/HcfykK8Iw7w

You know as a kid i was always wondering why he was called hamburger gessler. it was only as i got older that i found out the real name was land burger gessler...🤭

I always felt sorry for the guards in those shows. Every week those poor lads would come rushing into the room waving their swords and such around only to be killed off by the hero, even when it was ten to one in their favour. Make you wonder why anybody would want to be a guard in those days.

14 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

Am I getting a "Grey Moment" or was the theme tune the same as The Lone Rangers ?

how to tell a cultured person. They are the ones who can listen the william tell overture without automatically thinking "HI HO SILVER AWAY!"....🤣

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1