Bridge Street closed at night

Joanna King

Pedestrisation of lower end of Bridge Street  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Pedestrisation of lower end of Bridge Street

• Good
    • Bad

Your right, at the moment it is closed at one end to private vehicles. however this is used a great deal at night time, especially on a Friday and Saturday night by taxis taking you home.

They want to close the whole street off from vehicle between the hours of 10pm and 5am, therefore being unable to leave the pub and get straight into a taxi, you would have to walk a fair distance to get one.

One other issue with this idea is, where do the taxi drivers go, afterall this would take away 3 or 4 taxi ranks. Where do they park to wait for the next fare.

It might be clearer if we knew the context of this plan; eg; does it involve any wider improvements/changes? :? If the whole of Bridge St were pedestrianised, it would/could resemble Los Rambles in Barcelona; throw in a few dwarfs and human statues etc; they could also act as police informers! :D Not sure about getting those Italian marble paving experts over to carry the river of life down to the Mersey; would cost an arm and a leg. :shock: Still if it flowed down to the Mersey, it might be easier to swill those pavement pizzas away on a Sunday morning! :roll::D

I will keep you all posted on the progress of this one.

I do agree with you chrissy. Quote>'Wouldn't it just be easier to close the pubs and bars' It's not a pleasent sight on a monday morning, with all the vomit, empty food cartons and some occassions broken glass and blood. :roll:

I was amazed, this morning to see *three* police vehicles using the contraflow bus/cycle/taxi lane this morning, none of which were on an emergency call. Another vehicle, was directly in front of them waiting at the lights. I expected to see (her) pulled up, but not a thing was done.

We wonder why we have illegal parking, pavement cyclists, red light jumpers, etc!!

Going back on-topic, I would like to see Bridge Street *permanently* pedestrianised, which the entry/exit to the roundabout removed.

This would improve journey times and safety for everyone, whether pedestrian, cyclist, bus, car, HGV, taxi, etc. Those who would disbenefit are short-cutters who mis-use the entry/exit gate already!!

• 3 weeks later...
I was amazed, this morning to see *three* police vehicles using the contraflow bus/cycle/taxi lane this morning, none of which were on an emergency call. Another vehicle, was directly in front of them waiting at the lights. I expected to see (her) pulled up, but not a thing was done.

Could be that the police didn't know what the rules were either. :wink:

Just an update as promised.

The proposal for this has been published in this weeks guardian, without consultation.

WHO should they consult???

As for private cars not allowed to exit Bridge St, I assume the rule has changed when I see the number of cars that do.

Same going up Scotland Rd towards Winwick St. A lot of private cars do that.