Do you have any confidence in the media ?

Observer II

As one trawls through the online and TV coverage of current events; it appears to be a pandemic of speculation, opinion and opportunistic criticism.   The Government is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't, and although I've got lots of criticisms so far, I frankly can't see the opposition doing any better.   Whilst we've got the steady whine for an end to lock down, there is clearly no majority in favour, simply because people are rightly scared to lower their guard at the moment. However, this will no doubt change as a hot Summer entices the lemmings to the beaches, but more importantly, as the Gov retreats from it's costly fiscal incentives to keep folk from work.   Meanwhile, we have Press headlines that the UK has the highest death rate in Europe - not true, if you use per capita figures;   and no account is being taken of different death reporting systems, with some like Germany being suspect.  It's no wonder folk are turning to social media for information or conspiracy theories .       😷😷

I have reached the stage of avoiding the tv news and only glance once a day at news web sites.

There is little to be gained from worrying myself sick about something of which I have no control.

I have done as requested and not gone out or mixed.

I have been lucky up till now with getting home deliveries which have been a godsend.And I know some struggle(as did I initially)

But apart from that I don't want to know on a constant basis how we are not doing very well.

If folk want to trawl the media ... well that's their choice and if they get scared silly reading what they find,it's only like googling any health related issues, you will end up 99% of the time  with worse case scenarios.

I'm not being smug or self centred; just doing what I think suits me best.

• Upvote 1

I have every confidence in the media to present whatever sells papers or online subscriptions regardless of any bias or however little truth it contains and disregarding the need for expensive research into the facts and figures presented and resorting to quoting whatever experts support the facts and figures presented.

one of the main reasons i use this website is the factual reporting with little or no sensationalist headlines. just facts presented in an unbiased way.

With regard to googling health issues i did that once and found out i had died ten years ago...⚰️...🤫...🤣

• Haha 2

What amazes me is when you see news shots of people emerging from hospitals after treatment &  the access roads & concourse are filled with applauding medical staff. Shouldn't they  be inside treating the patients still infected ?

6 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

I have every confidence in the media to present whatever sells papers or online subscriptions regardless of any bias or however little truth it contains and disregarding the need for expensive research into the facts and figures presented and resorting to quoting whatever experts support the facts and figures presented.

one of the main reasons i use this website is the factual reporting with little or no sensationalist headlines. just facts presented in an unbiased way.

With regard to googling health issues i did that once and found out i had died ten years ago...⚰️...🤫...🤣

praise indeed - thank you Sid - I have to say I cringed a little when I read a headline on another site which shall remain nameless broadcasting that Warrington is a "hotspot" for coronavirus - this on a day when there were over 6,000 confirmed cases across the country - and one in Warrington! I am pleased to say I didn't click on it 😉

• Upvote 1