The BBC and TDS

I've nearly kicked my TV in, with tonight's CH News  - they should call it woke news.  First we had a load of hand wringing over the disproportionate deaths among the BAME community, then the link between poverty and Corvid deaths; and finally a piece about a Gay man in the US, who was refused giving blood to help a serum development - guess they've forgotten about HIV.  😠

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Observer II said:

, then the link between poverty and Corvid deaths;

The link is to index of deprivation which is dominated by whether you get benefits or not. The other factors they list are overwhelmed by the effects of benefits claimed. The areas concerned have a significant correlation to areas of social housing. There is other data showing the geographical spread of deaths in census areas in a map and for Warrington there is not a large number where the deprivation index is high in Orford, Bewsey and Dallam. The map is here and you can scroll to where interests you

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsinvolvingcovid19bylocalareasanddeprivation/deathsoccurringbetween1marchand17april#middle-layer-super-output-areas

I suppose I should ask what the news has got to do with crows dying. https://www.lexico.com/definition/corvid

2 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

oh good, just need to work out woke and the rest of the gobbledygook and i might just have some understanding on what posters are on about in this thread.

Tried the on-line translator services but they don't do acronyms....🤭

Sid, try here instead https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=woke it is the top definition in this case

think i will stick to the original definition as in

"i woke up this mornin, (da da da dum) fell outa ma bed.(da da da dum) i woke up this morning,(da da da dum)realised i weren't dead"

add your own lyrics to suit.

so really woke is using fad phrases to explain common sense things in a complicated way to give oneself some credibility to the younger generation and ethnic peoples of the country in a effort to show them that you know what you are talking about and empathise with them. In other words gobbledygook.

My understanding is, that being woke, is associated with the overuse of PC identity politics as a basis for argument.   The use of the term "racist" and other "isms" for anything found objectionable and to close down argument.  It's created a dictionary of titles like BAME and LGBT etc.    :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Observer II said:

My understanding is, that being woke, is associated with the overuse of PC identity politics as a basis for argument

My understanding is that being woke is something that happens to me every morning when Mrs sid wants me to get up.....😴

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Apparently,some coloured people are prone to a slight genetic difference that allows greater chance of infection by covid 19. One of the saving graces for some people seems to be the use of ACE blockers that don't allow the virus to latch on to humans. Apparently,some coloured people are deficient in this ACE blocker in its natural form. Perhaps ACE blockers are now the secret to defeating this virus in humans.

There are a number of theories in circulation Dave, not least, that BAME groups are prone to obesity and diabetes;  but I'm sure the experts will come up with answers; but hopefully not before they come up with answers to the virus for the rest of us.  I say that because,  there could be no vaccine created for Corvid, as it's related to the common cold virus, and we haven't secured a cure for that yet. If that proves to be the case, it seems a high exposure (herd immunity) strategy with consequential high death rates, will be all we have to look forward to. 💀

1 hour ago, Davy51 said:

Apparently,some coloured people are prone to a slight genetic difference that allows greater chance of infection by covid 19. One of the saving graces for some people seems to be the use of ACE blockers that don't allow the virus to latch on to humans. Apparently,some coloured people are deficient in this ACE blocker in its natural form. Perhaps ACE blockers are now the secret to defeating this virus in humans.

Having white skin allows a higher production of Vitamin D from sunlight and Vitamin D is essential for a properly functioning immune system. A trial in the US showed that 100% of the patients in ICU were deficient in Vitamin D whilst only 58% not ICU in were deficient. 

The virus has spikes which are shaped in such a way as to give corona virus its name. Those spikes attach to a protein in the body called ACE2. There is a theory that ACE2 production could be affected by ACE Inhibitors which are drugs used to control high blood pressure and diabetes. The effect of the drug is contested with some suggesting that taking ACE inhibitors could speed recovery whilst others suggest that the drug promotes production of ACE2 sites for the virus to attack. The National Institute for Clinical Excellence is doing a rapid results study on which version of this story is true. The drugs concerned have the letters "pril" at the end of their generic name e.g. enalapril. NICE have not reported back yet. The locations that ACE2 is found in the body I believe are specially in the heart, lungs, digestive system and the testicles. Men therefore have more attack sites than do women. The digestive system may explain why only 70% of sufferers have cough/fever whilst 30% are said to present with digestive ailments and fever. 

What is known is that the harm the virus does is often related to clotting of the blood so some conditions are likely to lead to poor outcomes, diabetes being one. Asian populations living in high sugar consumption countries are known to be more susceptible to diabetes.

If anyone thinks what I have said is incorrect I hope they will correct it but it is what I have found though reading.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Observer II said:

There are a number of theories in circulation Dave, not least, that BAME groups are prone to obesity and diabetes;  but I'm sure the experts will come up with answers; but hopefully not before they come up with answers to the virus for the rest of us.  I say that because,  there could be no vaccine created for Corvid, as it's related to the common cold virus, and we haven't secured a cure for that yet. If that proves to be the case, it seems a high exposure (herd immunity) strategy with consequential high death rates, will be all we have to look forward to. 💀

There are numerous common cold viruses and only four of them are Corona viruses. most are completely different and a single vaccine for all of them is impractical whilst a vaccine for just a few of them will have seemed pointless.

The team at Oxford did create a vaccine for MERS which is a coronavirus closely resembling SARS-CoV2 but it didn't get used in anger. A tweak of that is what they are trying out as I understand it.