This is a reply to "Last Post"

As I can't reply on the original page ,

due to an advert covering the Submit Topic button........................................

Very interesting view on this current problem and one that definitely provoked thought in my mind.

I'm of the old codger grouping , but yes being honest I've had nearly 70 good years and so really; virus or no virus each coming year now is a bonus.

I'm sure many of us think like that Latch;  as we're not "klingons", clinging on to life at any expense in other's time and effort.   If I get this, I know it's terminal, so I'll spare the Hospital and the Ambulance and die at home; as there is no cure but a fit body and immune system.  However, that's my decision, not some politician or bureacrat, adopting the principles of a Joe Stalin; who allegedly said " one death is a tragedy, a million a mere statistic".   However, the myth that this virus only kills the elderly and infirm is just that - a myth; many youngsters are now being killed by it.  S/Korean research has now identified cases of the disease returning to people who've already had it once, after all this virus is related to the common cold after all. If that's the case, then the theory of herd immunity is completely blown apart.   The primary duty of any Government in any Nation is the safety and well being of ALL it's citizens. and that should be based on the best scientific advice, not the expediency of a politician.     😷      

• Upvote 1

Why would Covid 19 be fetal to you Observer??? Just because you have a precondition does not mean you could not survive the virus. Yesterday on one of the news channels there was a recovered count of people who are over a 100 years old.

But I agree with you, I am in my 50s but with high blood pressure so puts me into the high risk category, I have a 12 year old cousin who is very asthmatic and if he gets it he is in danger.

WE hear of the harm being done to the economy but  maybe we will just have to tax some businesses a bit more, maybe some jobs will come back from China

I wish I was as well informed as you experts Obs and Milky. As far as I know there is no-one who actually knows for certain anything about the effects of this virus or the effects of government action on the economy in the future. So I'm just keeping my head down, going to Asda once every 8 or 9 days for essentials, and keeping in touch with people I care about. Que sera sera.

58 minutes ago, asperity said:

I wish I was as well informed as you experts Obs and Milky. As far as I know there is no-one who actually knows for certain anything about the effects of this virus or the effects of government action on the economy in the future. So I'm just keeping my head down, going to Asda once every 8 or 9 days for essentials, and keeping in touch with people I care about. Que sera sera.

But we know the effects of the virus and who it kills, enough people have been hospitalized for a sort of pattern to emerge of  people in higher risks with high blood pressure, over weight, diabetes, of ethnic minorities (BBC ran this story two days in a row),  your more likely to get worse symptoms  or more likely to die if your a man (again news programs ran this saying possibly due to smoking and that 50% of Chinese men smoke as opposed to 3% of women, does not follow why this remains the case in Europe), we also know what ages are most at risk.

As for the economy, we know governments will be far more in debt, so will need to tax someone more. 

3 hours ago, asperity said:

Over 10,000 dead in the UK and counting - that's "the effect".

10 hours ago, Milky said:

But we know the effects of the virus and who it kills, enough people have been hospitalized for a sort of pattern to emerge of  people in higher risks with high blood pressure, over weight, diabetes, of ethnic minorities (BBC ran this story two days in a row),  your more likely to get worse symptoms  or more likely to die if your a man (again news programs ran this saying possibly due to smoking and that 50% of Chinese men smoke as opposed to 3% of women, does not follow why this remains the case in Europe), we also know what ages are most at risk.

As for the economy, we know governments will be far more in debt, so will need to tax someone more. 

8 hours ago, Observer II said:

Over 10,000 dead in the UK and counting - that's "the effect".

Thank the lord that we have you experts on here keeping us informed of the state of play 😉

Well, according to the "experts", now regularly paraded on TV News; there seems to be doubt about the accuracy of the death rate figure.  The 10,000 plus figure is provided by the NHS, so involves corvid19 deaths from our Hospitals.  Critics now argue that deaths at home or in Care Homes are not being recorded accurately as virus cases; thus the total figure could be twice or more than the 10k.  I suppose it's important for several reasons,  in order to identify hot spots of contagion and trace the spread.   Also, if carers are spreading the virus from outside, into the homes; then they need to be properly tested for the virus and also provided with adequate PPE.  from internal risks.   What seems to be the case, is that Hospitals and Care Homes are the most dangerous places to be,  and that survival really does depend on staying at home and observing social distancing outside.       😷

Your comment raises questions in my mind Obs. Since nobody is tracing contacts at the moment it will not help to identify hotspots at all, why will taking care home deaths into account identify the hotspots of community transmission when after the first case they are essentially family transmission in an extended household? Secondly testing carers would be an immense task since a negative test result is only valid for the day it is taken and the result is not back for 24 hours so it is necessary to test every day and it never proves you are safe to enter anyway, so why do it. Surely the only safe route is for care home staff to live in?