ROME the TV series

Jerry

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, our local police station had to be evacuated! :o

We are OK. I took some of my books out from a cupboard in our out-house just in case. But in some places the rain was an inch high, some shops in the posh area of Cherryvalley were swimming, and some manholes popped out and the tarmac cracked. That was some rain I could hear outside. We couldn't see out properly in the workplace but the thunder and lightning display was apparently amazing to watch.

Noticed that according to the series (which presumably had historical advisors?); life (especially of slaves) was cheap and murder rife. :o I thought they had a Police Force in the form of the Pretorian Guard; or did that only begin with the first Emperor - Octavian (Augustus) Ceasare ? :confused:

Or a drama with hundreds of episodes over 26 years! :D

Don't forget the brutal proscriptions and the Republican suicides before we even get to the Battle of Philippi. :wink:

First victim being Cicero. Whose head and hands ended up spiked on a gate in the Forum Romanum, the exact location eludes me for the moment. The Temple of Jupiter Capitolinus, perhaps. Must dig out my Suetonius.

Amazing how we know this Obbs when I've not seen a full episode of Rome yet, just haven't got round to it. :wink: (The iPod generation would never believe me. I'd just teasingly tell them that the Romans recorded it on TV.)

Read the books, don't wait for the movie.