Wire v Castleford 06.03.20

asperity

A very close fought game which the Wire edged 9 - 8 with a Blake Austin drop goal with 1 minute to go, with both sides missing 2 drop goal attempts in the last 10 minutes. Castleford took the lead with a penalty, Wire then scored a try by Tom Lineham to go into the break ahead  4 - 2. In the second half a penalty goal gave the Wire a further 2 points, but Castleford were then awarded a penalty try which was converted to put them ahead 8 - 6. Wire then pulled level with another penalty goal from the boot of Ratchford leading to the missed drop goal attempts. With full time looming Wire managed to manouevre the ball to Blake Austin in front of the sticks for him to kick the winning point. Sighs of relief all round the ground.

53 minutes ago, Wirewire said:

A win is a win but the game was hardly a classic and still very much a work in progress with regards to our offensive game.

Onwards and upwards.....

I didn't enjoy it i'm afraid.

I was sat in the north stand wishing I had stayed at home in the warmth watching on tv.

The game or atmosphere really never took off

A wins a win you say...

Well maybe ?

But at £32 for a seat for 80 mins an expensive hobby

Maybe too expensive a hobby to go in winter when it's televised.

I am not a part time fan by the way , first game was February 1961

8 minutes ago, asperity said:

You're right about the atmosphere Latch. The fear around the ground was tangible, and Wire shouts only became a thing in the last few minutes. On the positive side, Castleford were league leaders until tonight, plus St Helens lost.

Saint losing was worth the admission money I paid tonight :-)

• Haha 1

I thought it was quite a good game for both sides.

A solid game of defence by both sides.

Ok so no great runs or flying leaps into the corner that we are used to just lately. which can make for an exciting game, but good defence prevented a lot of that and so made the game seem lacklustre by comparison.

both teams got on with the job and set completion was very much improved in the warrington side as was end of set plays.

• Upvote 1