Corona Virus

Gary

I withdraw every comment I have made in the past regarding the virus.    Today in America almost every factory is closed down, even the General Motors plants.  Unemployment is forecast to rise to 20% and it's going to cost several trillion dollars to survive. The net result is expected to be as severe economically as the Great Depression.  The first one hundred billion dollar aid package was passed in Congress today and $1000 checks are being mailed out this week to every family.  We can only pray that it doesn't play out this way.

Asp

Well if there are three confirmed cases in Warrington, the consensus view is that there will be at least ten times that many infected that have not yet been detected or not showing the symptoms. Take this number and double it every three days and this time next month there will be 30,700 infected and the week after that the number grows to more than the whole population of Warrington.

If it’s all a load of hype as you say Asp then people and governments around the world have all been fooled. Where do you read this stuff :)

Bill 😊

Bill

I could ask you the same question. I got my numbers from Public Health England, although I didn't say it was "a load of hype". I do think that governments around the world have been caught flat-footed and forced into rash decisions by the media who always have an eye open for a crisis to sell their product.

Putting out apocalyptic numbers isn't helpful, keeping calm and not over-exagerating the risks is.

1 hour ago, Stallard12 said:

I withdraw every comment I have made in the past regarding the virus.    Today in America almost every factory is closed down, even the General Motors plants.  Unemployment is forecast to rise to 20% and it's going to cost several trillion dollars to survive. The net result is expected to be as severe economically as the Great Depression.  The first one hundred billion dollar aid package was passed in Congress today and $1000 checks are being mailed out this week to every family.  We can only pray that it doesn't play out this way.

Welcome on board Tex !!    😉

As I've said from the beginning;  it's not the lethal nature of this virus that is cause for concern, but it's contagion and rapidity of spread.  From Wuhan onward, Governments have been behind the curve and should have locked everything down immediately.  Those hard cases who are dismissing the crisis, do so because they believe they won't be among the dead, so can carry on to the pub or the gym etc.   The level of death will depend on the level of compliance with Gov advice,  Gov estimates a good outcome in the UK would be around 20,000 dead , mostly oldies and infirm;  but it could be as high as 500,000.   As the virus needs a host to survive, it's future depends on human to human contact;  so to protect yourself and others, keep your distance at all times - at least 2metres.

I have always been sceptical of the severity of the virus, but I've always been concerned about the economics.   Although the incapacitation may only be two to three weeks per person, it has a big effect on production and service.  Then restrictions in travel affect the airlines and shipping down to lowly hotel owners and suddenly everyones' out of work.

Tryng to control the movement and activities  of 333,000,000 people at the rate it is spreading, was going to take forever, even with social life completely shut down, the economy would die a death of a thousand cuts.   So the US has decided to hit the virus head on and stop it in its tracks by closing down this juggernaut of an economy for one month.   So every worker, other than essential medical and food workers has to sit home for a month.  The cost is unthinkable, but it's a case of pay now or pay later.

Are the Chinese inscrutable or just criminally dumb?

After a criminally bad start; the Chinese have now brought new cases down to zero in Wuhan, with their aggressive lock down approach; their problem now is the arrival of cases from abroad, which begs the question - why are flights still flying around the world at all.    As for the US,  I'm sure the sheer size and power of their economy can overcome a shut down, the only question will be whether individuals will get adequate support to do likewise.

Thankfully this President is a) on the same page as the people and b) has infused a little bit of efficiency into the beaurocracy.  

Just to give you a reason why I have no time for present day Democrats, trending on social and main media at this time : " Great, the Trump Presidentcy is over ! Thanks Corona Virus  you're the greatest !"   How sick is that?  They obviously haven't looked at the lifelong idiot Joe Biden and the mindless left behind him.

• Upvote 1

Just ventured out for the weekly shop;  old women mainly stood side by side at the counters, make a comment about spacial distancing, and you just get a blank look. I'm concluding that Darwin had it wrong;  not survival of the fittest, as in risk aware; but the survival of the thickest as in pot luck.  Meanwhile, s/market shelves fairly sparse (got a loaf though Bill!), only green top milk left.   Think Boris needs to get a grip, no good saying "I hope people will do the right thing", time imo he started making them. In Belgium people collecting in groups outside get one warning from Police, second time it's a fine or prison - and so it should be.   Photos on social media of queues stretching out onto the car park at s/markets, and they wonder why folk are panic buying;  if you want to control the virus Bo, you have to control the people - get a grip.

• Upvote 1

You're asking people in Britain to do something completely alien to them Obs. Britain has been such a free & easy country over the years that change to suit directives is not in our nature. We see our lacksydaysickle  attitude to adversity every day on the streets of Britain with our unarmed police  & asking older people to observe rules is a pretty tall order anyway.

• Upvote 1

Checkouts in Sainsburys- they didn't open alternate ones to enforce Social Distancing but opened adjacent pairs so customers have to touch as they go though. They keep saying that they have deliveries but it really doesn't show, so we have to go shopping far more that we did normally and having not stockpiled food we now can't get it without excess risk. You can only have two cartons of milk-- doesn't matter whether they are one or four pint its just two. These morons are trying to kill us!

Seems like it's the only way Obs, it's not primarily about saving lives now, it's the only way to halt the spread quickly.  If you don't go with mandatory isolation as close to a hundred percent as possible this virus will be here for years and then the death toll will be enormous.

In California nobody is allowed to leave their house, they have a number to call for emergencies and food - it will be left on their porch.  Every business across the US is closed to entry traffic, only drive thru lanes are open. All schools and church services and factories are closed by order however, the big multi stores can allow a group of ten people at a time in mainly for food and disinfectant etc.  

My wife just made a thirty mile drive to our closest pharmacy and she only saw two other cars on the whole trip.  Right next door to it is the big Wal Mart with a parking lot as big as ten football fields and there were only three cars parked.  I hear that you can now walk down the center of all the New York City streets which are traffic free.  

Trumps plan is to enforce this for up to a month and stop the spread, then jump on any cases that come after that with mandatory isolation.  There will be testing stations at all entry points forever.

3 hours ago, Davy51 said:

You're asking people in Britain to do something completely alien to them Obs. Britain has been such a free & easy country over the years that change to suit directives is not in our nature. We see our lacksydaysickle  attitude to adversity every day on the streets of Britain with our unarmed police  & asking older people to observe rules is a pretty tall order anyway.

No Dave, not "asking"; that's the point;  tell them and failiure to comply will result in a fine or prison; pack all the Neanderthals into prisons where they can enjoy close company, but without the beer !    One of the most disturbing scenes, is the NHS nurse who came off shift to find the S/Market shelves empty - absolutely criminal imo.

So you assume that all the old dudes & biddies understand the meaning of being spatially aware....to many people it is a phrase uttered by a news reader which they may not realise means stand well away from the person next to you. This is the biggest imposed disruption to ordinary lives since WW2 when many of these neanderthals were just being born so it is understandable that change can be difficult to adapt to. And i don't think even you would like Euro style paramilitary police on British streets.

It;s all very well and good them saying that everyone should 'keep your distance at all times - at least 2 metres apart but what about till workers in supermarkets as they aren;t 2 meters apart form all the 1000's of customers they are serving every day and are handling their money too.

It's even worse for smaller convenience stores and the isles in them often aren't even 2 metres wide (1 metre is the minimum requirement between isles and fixtures) so anyone walking the store would have to be in one single file line all going in just one direction (arrows on the floor might help) when shopping with 2 metres between them and god forbid they then found an overworked staff member trying to replenish the shelf stock as they would have to stop in queue and wait or ask the staff member to join the front of the line and 'walk this way'to WALK WAY.   Then of course you have the situation in smaller convenience stores where isle ends meet so you would get a PacMan situation (do you remember that old arcade game?, it was always my favourite).  

Then depending on the direction the line was having to follow the tills could be nearer the end of the line so how does the shop worker then get back to the till to serve the first customer in line without getting closer to anyone than the 2 meters.....then said shop worker and customer have to use a pole with a little saucer on the end to somehow pass the money over blah blah..

Then customer tries to leave the shop but cant get to the door because the '2 metre apart queue in the line' has grown so long that  its right round the store and contunued outside through the single access door.....so they are all stuck lol

If you have so far read all that then you are clearly as bored as me  tonight.

Joking aside....pubs, restaurants, gyms, libraries. businesses.....pretty much everything.... is being told to close down now with billions set aside to cover some peoples wages
BUT NEVER ONE WORD ABOUT ALL THE STAFF IN SUPERMARKETS AND OTHER LOCAL CONVENIENCE STORES etc who the government will NOT be closing and who's staff are carrying on working massive extra hours  flat out to try and keep up with demand stocking shelves and serving 1000's of extra people every day (even in the small stores) thus putting themselves at a much greater risk of catching the damn virus.   Perhaps the government could see fit to pay them an additional £1 an hour on top of their employers hourly wage to cover the additional risk and for them carrying on.  I know that will not happen though but just thought I'd rant and bore you all even more to keep you occupied. 

I do think all our wonderful NHS Staff should be getting a BIG government funded pay increase for everything they are doing and having to cope with in such difficult times, they must be exhausted.  We are so lucky to have all of them and they are doing a fantastic job :D     

• Upvote 1

Diz, went in my bank in Town and was told to step away from the counter, behind a taped line; likewise there was another line behind that and so on. Needless to say, I commended the Manager for his initiative, but was thankful there was only one other customer there at the time !   The only problem is, the virus can survive on banknotes for some time, so I guess you can't win.

• Upvote 1

So we've got the mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, saying the police and army should be arresting people who won't self-isolate, and we've got Leader of the Opposition who is now over 70 and should be locking himself away refusing to do so. Who will win this little impasse? 🤔