Corona Virus

Gary

i was stood in a queue at the s/market and a young woman came coughing and sneezing behind me.  Half joking, I told to her to keep her distance as she may have the virus. She said I feel rotten, I must have flu. So stepping away,  I said, to you it's flu, but to me it could be terminal, the point went totally over her head.  She's the kind of idiot that will spread this virus - not common sense, just no sense at all.

• Upvote 2

Well for the younger generation this is just a mild flu like thing that's been blown out of proportion  so to many of them it's just not that important which is a rather selfish point of view. And speaking of common sense, it's not just lacking in the younger generation. Iv'e just got back from Sainsburys where the shelves of toilet rolls were down to about 25%. One bloke passed us with a trolley absolutely full of rolls. The wife saw him coming and told me not to say anything, but stuff it, he deserved to be called a plonker! 

Does a beef stake actually help with a black eye :) 

Bill :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stallard12 said:

How can I transfer an email on my IPad to a comment on the forum?    Just received one from United Airlines which explains the actions they are taking, it might be informative, but I'm too dumb to handle the technicalities without help.

try copy and paste.

**...open the email and right click the text you should get a box with select all. press that and the text will be highlighted and the option to copy should appear.

Copy the whole email text and paste in to the forum reply box and then delete any personal info before submitting the reply...**

** i have only tried this on my PC as i do not have my tablet set up for email so not sure if this method will work.**

An alternative is to save the email as a text file and then edit copy and paste that way.

Obs, if you can do better explain how to get all the over 65s to self isolate when they don't use computers, there aren't enough internet shopping delivery vans, and twenty percent of the staff will be off sick and cannot pick the goods or delivery vans. Oh and do that whilst avoiding panic buying. I would like to see you try it. The answer is to use the army but that can only be done by the government or local government so we had better hope WBC, the supermarkets and the CCG can get their act together. The government in Westminster just need to remove the legal and fiscal barriers. It may be that the need for local government not to run a deficit may be one of those. Latchford is quite right.

Lets face it folks we are going to die.

When we don't know.

Where we don't.

How we don't know.

But it is going to happen so why worry about a remote possibility of catching a particular infection which may or may not kill you.

World war, Britain bombed house destroyed people killed and maimed thousands homeless, the reaction "keep calm and carry on".

terrorist attacks people killed.reaction "we can handle this no terrorist will scare us"

virus infection that will give 90% of the infected flu like symptom for a week.reaction "BUY EVERY TOILET ROLL IN THE SHOP!!".

I just don't get the connection. last time i had a dose of flu i was constipated for a week. never used one sheet of toilet paper.

• Upvote 3

Well I would suggest that in the case of toilet rolls it is because there is little practical alternative these days when we are told not to put non-degradable material down the toilet, so newspaper (which most have little of) doesn't fit the bill, and nor do tissues. Furthermore toilet roll can be a substitute for tissues as it is stronger. You have here a product that you cannot do without but if confined may not be able to get hold of as the raw materials are mostly imported from foreign forests. The photographs of empty toilet roll shelves were mostly of Sainsbury's who happened to have an offer on Andrex toilet rolls last week and they usually don't have enough stock to prevent the shelves emptying when there is a good offer, the 9 pack was significantly cheaper than the 16 pack per roll. I put off getting ours, which we buy every two months or so, in Tesco because the price was better in Sainsbury's, and succeeded. For me it was normal not panic buying. I also normally buy disinfectant 10 bottles at a time..... it is an accessibility thing, most shops stock the things I don't want and not what I do want - I have to buy when I find what I want. The picture on the BBC website is of Sainsbury's and if you look you will see that there is toilet roll left on the shelf but it is the own brand stuff which real panic buying would have seen snapped up!

an interesting observation on toilet rolls. the outer diameter of standard toilet rolls is the same no matter where you buy them. The cardboard tube diameter varies by as much as a 1/4" or so. Not sure how many sheets that equates to in difference though, if any. (i have not actually measured so that 1/4" is a rough guesstimate)

just something i noticed one day whilst changing a roll.  🤨

I usually judge a toilet roll by inserting my thumb in the tube & compressing the roll with my fore finger. The roll with the least compressibility is best value for money. Izal & Bronco were supreme in that department although rough & slippy.