New Railway Lines

I see that the government has given £500 million to get an old line back in service around the Fleetwood area and I can't help but think what damage Dr Beeching did with his ill thought plan to castrate our great British rail network of yesteryear.

I'm convinced that the roads would be relieved of all the horrendous congestions we now endure on a daily basis.

All those articulated wagons clogging our motorways would probably halve and commuters, would have the  chance to get the train into Warrington from Heatley/Lymm/Thelwall(for an example) is just a start to the great opportunities we would have.

Oh Doctor Beeching what ever did you think you were doing!

image.jpeg.eafc9ccb6818644bcbe7881f9e17be9c.jpeg

On 1/28/2020 at 11:57 AM, Latchford Locks said:

I see that the government has given £500 million to get an old line back in service around the Fleetwood area and I can't help but think what damage Dr Beeching did with his ill thought plan to castrate our great British rail network of yesteryear.

I'm convinced that the roads would be relieved of all the horrendous congestions we now endure on a daily basis.

All those articulated wagons clogging our motorways would probably halve and commuters, would have the  chance to get the train into Warrington from Heatley/Lymm/Thelwall(for an example) is just a start to the great opportunities we would have.

Oh Doctor Beeching what ever did you think you were doing!

image.jpeg.eafc9ccb6818644bcbe7881f9e17be9c.jpeg

Maybe there are examples of tracks shut down in the 60s that would now be useful, but even then the rural and local lines were  uneconomical and under used 

How would it halve the articulated wagons on our roads today? Trains are only viable for large volume over longer distances, how would you get sm,aller shipments to and from the train

Also look in your photo and see how many cars are on the road.

• Upvote 1

Given the size of the UK, it’s probably just easier and cheaper at the moment to use road transport for goods. I’ve spent a lot of time in the states, and there, the railways carry huge amounts long distances so there are very few trucks on the interstate motorways compared to the UK.

Even when the cost of fuel becomes prohibitive, I doubt rail as we know it will be the answer and instead we’ll probably use semi-autonomous road trains that can then simply be driven to their final destination.

Bill :)

we seem to be going backwards with regards to things at present.

electric cars developed around 1870 ish

railways being reopened.

Horse and cart next. very green and has the advantage that a horse can make another horse without the need for a factory, also the by products of the exhaust bring your roses up a treat...🤣

• Haha 2