A perfect storm -

Observer II

Well, I've certainly not been doing that, my view is in line with the opinion being expressed on most news outlets by "experts" -  which seems to amount to this being a virus, similar to the common cold,  which returns even when you've had it once - not yet lethal in the young and healthy - but terminal in the case of the frail and elderly, which can be the case in any viral infection. The difference with this one, is it's rate of spread.

BTW that friend of mine that was due to fly out to Tenerife on Friday had second thoughts and cancelled his holiday at the last moment. He said for the sake of a couple of hundred quid  it just wasn't worth the risk of getting the bug, getting stuck out there and most importantly appearing to be irresponsible given all his palls were at the age where the risk was greatest.

Bill :)

On 2/28/2020 at 3:36 PM, Observer II said:

That's "at the moment" Sid;   we're now being told that some victims that survived infection have now caught it again,  so haven't developed an immunity; which poses a question on the viability of a vaccine.  The concern at the moment, isn't the death rate, but the rate of spread; if the virus mutates into a more lethal form; the high rate of spread will translate into a high death rate.  The 1918 flu pandemic killed over 50 million, in an age when folk weren't flying round the globe at the drop of a hat.

It is worth remembering that we can catch measles more than once too. It is not that unusual. It seems that if this coronavirus gains an endemic status there will be a dramatic reduction in life expectancy.