The NHS

asperity

On the BBC news tonight the news about the NHS not meeting its A&E targets again, the reporter mentioned that we are getting "into the flu season". Why on earth are people going to A&E with the flu? If you want my opinion, if you have the flu you shouldn't be spreading your germs to innocent victims by going to crowded places like, for example, hospitals!!

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, asperity said:

On the BBC news tonight the news about the NHS not meeting its A&E targets again, the reporter mentioned that we are getting "into the flu season". Why on earth are people going to A&E with the flu? If you want my opinion, if you have the flu you shouldn't be spreading your germs to innocent victims by going to crowded places like, for example, hospitals!!

Could not agree more. Unless it take a turn for the worse self medicate and keep away from place where there are ill people who could be made worse by catching what you have.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, asperity said:

If your elderly and weak,  a young child  or have some  pre existing medical condition flu can be life threatening and a couple of hundred people die each ear from it.

something like 100000 people get hospitalized each year because of flu.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, asperity said:

When I were a lad (many years ago) the family GP would, for things like flu/winter cold, prescribe lots of warm milky drinks and, for reasons I could never fathom, a new pair of shoes!

When i were a nipper we had to make do with a dose of pink stuff. Don't know what it was but the doctor prescribed it for everything short of actual death.

"chopped your leg off with an axe?" hands over bottle of pink chalky liquid."take two teaspoons before bedtime and and come back in a week if it is no better "

Have a dose of the latest lurgy that is going about. coughing, sneezing, shivers,sweats. still ambulatory provided i don't turn quickly.(if i do i have to wait a few seconds for the room to catch up). Have had my flu jab so i know that it will not be too bad and hopefully gone within a week, two at most.

know that A&E is not the answer, they will just tell you what your doctor would. keep warm, drink plenty of fluids, treat the symptoms with off the shelf medication. if still ill after three weeks then call doctor, or undertaker depending on circumstances....🤧...👻

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Milky said:

If your elderly and weak,  a young child  or have some  pre existing medical condition flu can be life threatening and a couple of hundred people die each ear from it.

something like 100000 people get hospitalized each year because of flu.

Last year 5,505 people were hospitalised with flu in England, the other 95,000 must have been in Scotaland and Wales. People who suspect they have flu should self treat at home and go to bed. They should only go to hospital if they are referred by a doctor, not just go to A&E to share their germs more widely, after all if you're well enough to get yourself to A&E it can't be flu, more likely a bad cold!

1 hour ago, asperity said:

Last year 5,505 people were hospitalised with flu in England, the other 95,000 must have been in Scotaland and Wales. People who suspect they have flu should self treat at home and go to bed. They should only go to hospital if they are referred by a doctor, not just go to A&E to share their germs more widely, after all if you're well enough to get yourself to A&E it can't be flu, more likely a bad cold!

But most people don't go into hospital because they have flu only, it is because they have illnesses like  heart, lung, kidney conditions  or undergoing  chemotherapy or have other conditions were their immune system is lowered.

Thinking about ot the 100,000 figure is a touch high but I came across it on a web site and posted it without thinking about it

1 hour ago, Milky said:

But most people don't go into hospital because they have flu only, it is because they have illnesses like  heart, lung, kidney conditions  or undergoing  chemotherapy or have other conditions were their immune system is lowered.

Thinking about ot the 100,000 figure is a touch high but I came across it on a web site and posted it without thinking about it

Patients with chronic conditions should already be known to their GP who can assess their needs and have them admitted to hospital if necessary. These aren't the people who are clogging up the A&E departments and denying treatment to other patients who may have more life threatening conditions than a temperature, sore throat and runny nose, demanding a bed on a ward when they have a perfectly suitable one at home in their bedroom. It's beyond me why anyone would voluntarily go into hospital anyway given the chances of picking up infections while there.

4 hours ago, asperity said:

Patients with chronic conditions should already be known to their GP who can assess their needs and have them admitted to hospital if necessary. These aren't the people who are clogging up the A&E departments and denying treatment to other patients who may have more life threatening conditions than a temperature, sore throat and runny nose, demanding a bed on a ward when they have a perfectly suitable one at home in their bedroom. It's beyond me why anyone would voluntarily go into hospital anyway given the chances of picking up infections while there.

But people like you describe are not likely to get passed the triage desk, I think there are not many people in hospital with just an ordinary flu.

People clogging up A & E are drunks, parents who rush their children in with scratched knees and poor organisation as well as red tape.

13 hours ago, Milky said:

But people like you describe are not likely to get passed the triage desk, I think there are not many people in hospital with just an ordinary flu.

People clogging up A & E are drunks, parents who rush their children in with scratched knees and poor organisation as well as red tape.

So if that's the case why is the complaint being made that A&E departments are overwhelmed "because it's the flu season"? Obviously hospitals can't be geared up to the busiest time of the year, with loads of doctors, nurses, beds and medical equipment lying idle for several months of the year because there isn't a call for them. This is why we get the same moans and groans every year when the public likes to share germs around.

I have heard that one reason for the "flu season" problem is that the staff also get the flu, despite the mandatory vaccinations, and have to stay at home thereby reducing the throughput of hospitals. I cannot help thinking that there must be some degree of multi skilling where staff are moved from departments with less urgent and more manageable case loads get diverted to A&E at peak time and I feel sure that must already happen.

Unfortunately though the mortality statistics tell us that older people with their complex problems tend to become ill and die at this time of the year and they often get unwell with a sudden onset that causes the first presentation at A&E for a complex case. The wards for geriatric cases are even expanded in Warrington with extra money from the CCG to cope with this. Warrington's record for the extended stays whiles people wait for social care placements and investigation were better than most places last year, the NHS measures everything!

Apart from global warming being real and preventing the flu season I don't yet see an answer!

The flu vaccine does not prevent you from getting the flu.

I know i currently have the flu despite the flu vaccine. (Lost my voice and sounding like Joe Pasquale on helium)🤧

What it does do is make the flu less effective and means that you get a milder dose of flu lasting about a week, instead of the full blown flat on your back for two weeks version.

Think they produce a vaccine on the probability of current strain risk;  this one is an Australian strain brought over by global travellers.  Washing hands and using disposable tissues, and isolation will help prevent spread.  Biggest risks are to the very young and old, and those with pre-existing medical conditions. 

• Upvote 1

Great gets me an all three points then. Very young at heart but getting to the point that old age is starting to kick in with the aches and pains in the joints and off course having  a dodgy heart as well.

Might pay a visit to Houghton's funeral place later see if they can fit me in.🤧🤒🛌👻....🥴

• Haha 1

Perhaps that's because their always ill from all the bugs that folk take into their surgery. 

Fortunately I don't often need to see a doctor but when I do, I never seem to have any problems getting an appointment the same day. 

I was in hospital yesterday for a minor procedure, all arranged and done in less than a week. First rate service which makes me wonder what all the fuss is about. 

Bill :)

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2019 at 9:40 PM, Davy51 said:

People clog up A&E also because they can't get doctor's appointments.

We desperately need a walk in centre as Leigh,Widnes and St Helens do.

It would give over stretched A&E staff breathing space plus lighten the burden somewhat for our GP surgeries

We aspire to being the top town in the north but fail the residents in the most obvious sectors.

All the money spent on the new town centre but not a brass farthing on health.

Meanwhile new apartments are shooting up all over town,

It baffles me.

This link is a handy guide to A&E/Walk in centre waiting current times and other information. 

https://dashboard.whh.nhs.uk/ed/?platform=hootsuite

The soon to be vacated "New" Market building would have been an ideal location.

On 12/18/2019 at 5:08 PM, Bill said:

Perhaps that's because their always ill from all the bugs that folk take into their surgery. 

Fortunately I don't often need to see a doctor but when I do, I never seem to have any problems getting an appointment the same day. 

I was in hospital yesterday for a minor procedure, all arranged and done in less than a week. First rate service which makes me wonder what all the fuss is about. 

You obviously don't have the same surgery as me.

Where as from 2 weeks ago you can no longer phone the surgery for appointments.

You have to go online and fill questionaires in,which the surgery then promise to reply to by the end of the following working day.

No if's but's or maybes NO telephone calls accepted.... 

.... nec argumentis !!!!

I asked how older folk or those without computers would get in.

I was told they would initially be "guided" by a member of staff on how to fill in the correct forms whatever that is supposed to mean.

Then I asked what if I needed an urgent same day appointment?

And was told well if that's the case telephone NHS 111 for advice  ...

Then the conversation was abruptly ended 😕

Ah but, computers are much better.

I went for a blood test a few weeks back but when I got there, the receptionist said there should have been a form included and that I’d have to go back to the surgery to get one printed. I asked why, if everything is on the computer, they couldn’t just print one for me. Not allowed, confidentiality, human rights etc. So all the way back to the medical centre, where no medical questions were asked, just my name, address and a quick press the print key. This took about ten seconds, but my round trip was nearly an hour and I got bloody soaked in the process.

So much for computers being better, saving us time and effort.

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

Ah but, computers are much better.

I went for a blood test a few weeks back but when I got there, the receptionist said there should have been a form included and that I’d have to go back to the surgery to get one printed. I asked why, if everything is on the computer, they couldn’t just print one for me. Not allowed, confidentiality, human rights etc. So all the way back to the medical centre, where no medical questions were asked, just my name, address and a quick press the print key. This took about ten seconds, but my round trip was nearly an hour and I got bloody soaked in the process.

So much for computers being better, saving us time and effort.

And heaven help us if the NHS sites are ever seriously hacked by criminals or even rogue states.

My blood runs cold at the very thought.

8 hours ago, Davy51 said:

With regard to having to ring NHS 111, you would think the operator could either contact your doctor & demand a same day or next day appointment for you or NHS provide you with a code that your doctor's would have to act on.

To the best of my knowledge NHS 111 is manned by unqualified operators who work off check sheets to give the appropriate information to the caller.

Of course I assume they have received some training and are well versed in noting red flag symptoms.

But I believe if this occurs then the caller is just told to visit the nearest A&E dept.

I stand to be corrected if any of my comments are incorrect.