Corbyn's tree plan

asperity

Corbyn has pledged to plant 2 Billion trees in the next 20 years. Get out your calculators boys and girls, let's do some sums. 2 Billion trees in 20 years equates to 100 Million trees a year, approximately 274 Thousand per day, 11,415 per hour or 190 per minute (assuming the planting is continuous for 24 hours a day 7 days a week, and no holidays/meal and tea breaks). Or 801 per minute (assuming a 40 hour week, again no holidays or breaks). He hasn't gone into any unnecessary details about where the trees and the land are going to come from, or how many workers will be employed doing the planting. I assume he got his favourite mathematician (Dianne Abbott) to do the sums for him 😂🤣😂.

• Haha 1

Using those figures he will be worn out in two hours.🤣

However that is assuming he is on about planting mature-ish trees and not seeds.

Using a seed fiddle you could plant quite a lot of seeds in a short time thus making those figures quite possible.

There is a great difference between planting and growing to a somewhat mature state. Apple trees grown from seed take about eight years before bearing fruit.

So we will have a fiddling politician. Nowt new there then..🤭

• Upvote 1

There's a presumption in all this hysteria over "the climate emergency",   that when faced with increased costs, either directly through home energy schemes or through increased taxation; the Plebs will conform to such impositions on their daily lives.   The ownership and use of the car is a classic example;  folk simply will not be separated from their current lifestyle and will vote against adverse imposition;  just stand outside any school and watch the cars arrive to drop off the kids,  with engines running and some Mums still in their PJs; or the non-take up house insulation offers or smart meters.  

And npower are laying call centre staff off in the UK . German owned by another German company Eon. It seems they liked the big profits of privatised energy retailing but are not so keen now the UK government has capped prices. I am sure in the world of green energy solutions the outcome of how good it pans will equally depend on what profits are available.

2 minutes ago, Davy51 said:

Incidentally, where do humans stand on the scale for production of CO2 just by breathing normally & given the world population ?

I don't know about breathing, but they reckon humans produce 3% of the CO2 annually by all means. I don't know whether that includes all the CO2 which is manufactured to put into fizzy drinks. I notice that there's been no call for a ban on CocaCola and the likes. Weird or what?

trees breath out CO2 as well as oxygen. (Respiration) they also release water into the atmosphere. so more trees equals more water which will raise the water levels. Ok maybe not that much water but that is one thing that climate change advocates and extinction rebellioin people never seem to talk about.

15 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

trees breath out CO2 as well as oxygen. (Respiration) they also release water into the atmosphere. so more trees equals more water which will raise the water levels. Ok maybe not that much water but that is one thing that climate change advocates and extinction rebellioin people never seem to talk about.

Surely trees hold water, they need water to grow and survive, a oak tree uses 300 liters of water per day I am told? If you chop down a tree and put it straight on the fire it wil give out a lot of smoke due to moisture  in the wood and leaves.

They also absorb more CO2 then release, although the process slows down once the tree matures?

On 11/29/2019 at 5:02 PM, asperity said:

It has been calculated that 2 billion trees would cover an area equivalent to Wales (using forestry commission guidlines for tree spacing and maintenance roads etc).

So we can do something  useful with Wales :) 

best hurry up before they get their Independence.

( my ambition of becoming an MP one day is now dead!)