Play offs

asperity

Having been thrashed by Leeds in the last game Wire finished in 4th place, a large drop from the nailed on 2nd just a few weeks ago. This means a home tie against Castleford next Thursday and, if they should win that, a semi final game against the loser of the qualifier between Wigan and Salford. The winner of the Wigan - Salford match play St Helens and the winner of that game go through to the final, the loser of that game playing the winner of the semi final. The winner of that game goes through to the final at Old Trafford which Warrington win handsomely. Clear?

so your saying that st helens will be in the final

the winner of the wigan v salford match will play st helens.

if st helens win that match they go through to the final.

if they lose they play whoever wins the semi final.

if they win that match they are in the final.

so st helens have two chances of making the final compared to one chance for the other teams......🤔

i get it it's a fix to get st helens in the final.  Cleared that up then.

It's really a fix to try and get the team that won the league into the Grand Final, which is fair enough really. I mean they could have said the league winners go into the Grand Final without having to play any other games and the next 4 teams have to fight it out to get there. At the end of the day it's a money making scheme.

What nobody told me last year when I bought my season ticket was that none of the play off games were included.(The previous few seasons Super 8 format games were always included)

So I'm expected to pay for my own seat !

Sorry , but on principle I will watch it on sky and save around £60... ticket price/transport/refreshments.

I know I'm not the only person who is of the same mind.

Any competition which makes the competition format so complex and keeps changing them will never fill stadiums on a regular basis.

As someone who has been watching the club since I was 11-years-years old and didn't miss a game home or away for 10 years, took my future wife on our first date to a rugby game and also sposnored Wolfie - to now someone who hasn't even been a live game this season, pretty much sums up the state of the game.

Always so much potential, some fantastic games but a sport run by a bunch of clowns!

Can't understand why we don't just follow the rugby union format - so much simpler.

1st -ve- 4th

2nd -ve- 3rd

Winners meet in the final.

As said above - this is all about money rather than for the fans or fairness....

I also won't be going on Thursday - I'll go to the pub and watch it on Sky...

• Upvote 1

A disappointing quick end to the play-offs for Wire, going down to a 14-12 defeat to Castleford at the HJ. It could have been different had MoM Stefan Ratchford planted 2 penalty attempts (the first one looked good but the touch judges ruled that it wasn't). Their game plan wasn't helped by blake Austin going off at half-time with a leg injury and not being able to return.

Next season though, that will be our year!!!

Very disappointing end to the season, but let's keep things in perspective.

If someone had offered us at the start of the season that we'd handsomely beat St Helens to lift the Challenge Cup at Wemble but fall out fo the play-offs at the first hurdle, I'd have certainly taken that and I think the majority of other clubs fans would ahve done so also.

Onwards and upwards and I'll be renewing my season ticket as soon as they come on sale!

• Upvote 1

Yes I remember many seasons when winning the cup alone would have been a magnificent achievement.

But these days skys Grand Final seems to have taken precedence.

Although last nights turnout of 5,500 was very poor,  as I said in a previous post that wasn't a big surprise with it being on tv and all persons having to pay.

It was a poor turnout and, to give them their credit, the Cas fans were making the most noise at times. To be honest, the form Wire are in I doubt we would have been able to get past Salford/Wigan even if we had won last night.

I too will be renewing my season ticket as soon as they come on sale. 2020 here we come! There will be quite a few changes to the team.

Took a newbie to his first game - he was not impressed other than in the last five minutes when Warrington actually woke up!

To get a crowd of 5,500 in a town with a population of circa 200K is very, very poor.

Having said that four tickets in the VEEp cost me £140 so I won't be making a habit of it!

The fact they couldn't even open Martin Dawes Stand hospitality on the back of a Wembley win speaks volumes!

Where was the book your meal deal and have your picture taken with the Cup and Club legend Bennie Westwood package?

1 hour ago, Gary said:

Took a newbie to his first game - he was not impressed other than in the last five minutes when Warrington actually woke up!

To get a crowd of 5,500 in a town with a population of circa 200K is very, very poor.

Having said that four tickets in the VEEp cost me £140 so I won't be making a habit of it!

The fact they couldn't even open Martin Dawes Stand hospitality on the back of a Wembley win speaks volumes!

Where was the book your meal deal and have your picture taken with the Cup and Club legend Bennie Westwood package?

Toronto draw crowd of 9,325, Warrington draw crowd of 5,625

This isn't a pop at my beloved Wire

Wigan v Salford was also lower than Toronto.

Toronto had included play off games with the season ticket so may that had a lot to do with it.?

The St Helens v Wigan game last night drew over 14,000 but that was practically a derby game on a Friday night compared to our game being on Thursday night against Castleford who didn't bring many fans. The Wigan Salford game last week was only attended by just over 9000 on the Friday.

It's true that our game was very poorly attended and many of the season ticket holders who sit near me were absent so the club needs to look into that, with maybe discussing with the RFL and Sky why they insist on Thursday night games when Saturday afternoon would be more suitable.

I got mine which I have completed and returned so yes at least they are doing something , but no wonder!

They could reasonably have expected 10,000 for a post Wembley play off match,

Talking off play off games;

Last nights Toulouse v Featherstone was a weekend game on a warm sunny day so a very poor turn out from our French supporters.

And to play the final 6 days later on another continent defies belief !!!

Image result for lunatics have taken over the asylum funny cartoon images