Climate emergency

I can't work out why the powers that be couldn't have just given them the two hundred million as now it will cost them six hundred million just to get the people back home. If they'd have done that and said there will be no more, then people would loose confidence and eventually stop booking with Thomas Cook. So there'd be no one to bring home, thus saving £400,000,000 or have I completley missed the point?

Bill :)

In the sixties, travel clubs using charter flights, was the way to go for cheap travel.  We had my 16 year old son booked for a trip to the States to visit my sister, his aunt.  After six months of anticipation, he was due to fly out of Manchester at ten am the next day.  At ten o'clock that night I got a phone call from the local organizer saying that the company had gone belly up and it was all shut down.  I had to go wake my son and tell him that he wasn't going.  It was one of the most miserable things I've had to do and I know how these folks must feel.  The disappointment of the people who were suppose to leave is as great as the disappointment of those trying to get home.

14 minutes ago, Bill said:

I can't work out why the powers that be couldn't have just given them the two hundred million as now it will cost them six hundred million just to get the people back home. If they'd have done that and said there will be no more, then people would loose confidence and eventually stop booking with Thomas Cook. So there'd be no one to bring home, thus saving £400,000,000 or have I completley missed the point?

Bill :)

The suggestion is that they were a basket case so the ATOL funded £600m would have been in addition to the £200m sticking plaster and the statutory redundancy money. The liquidator has said they have to claim redundancy from the state straight away, there clearly is not a going concern there.

What puzzles me is why can't they use the thomas cook aircraft and pilots to get the stranded holidaymakers back home. The pilots are available, the planes are available, so why not use them instead of relying on other companies to find room on their flights.

What am i missing here?....🤔

The planes have been impounded as assets of the now bankrupt company and it is probably illegal to fly them without all the certification that comes with the operation of aircraft. The pilots are unemployed as they don't have an employer, and they aren't going to fly the planes unpaid.

3 hours ago, asperity said:

The planes have been impounded as assets of the now bankrupt company and it is probably illegal to fly them without all the certification that comes with the operation of aircraft. The pilots are unemployed as they don't have an employer, and they aren't going to fly the planes unpaid.

They need to be impounded in the UK for preference to prevent their seizure by individual creditors to gain advantage over the general liquidation to be done by the official receivers. Unless the Supreme Court is involved, of course, since they can then just rewrite the constitution and do whatever they like.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1