BBC license fee ?

Time to scrap the license fee altogether ?    With the exception of some good quality progs like Blue Planet;   which educate and inform;  the BBC goes down market to compete with other channels in producing trashy entertainment imo.   Arguably it is no longer impartial either in it's news output .

It's well past time to scrap it. The BBC has turned into a propaganda mouthpiece for PC ideas e.g. cheerleading for the Climate Change hoaxers, the Remoaners, anti-Trumpers and other causes. If it wants to do these things I don't see why I should have to pay for them.

• Upvote 2

Exactly, the likes of Gary Lineker who not only gets paid by the BBC, but also works for BT Sport and also Walkers Crisps.  You would think that for £1.75 million p/a they would have got him to sign an exclusive contract. 🙄

• Upvote 1

Surely an exclusive contract would have cost the taxpayer more. In any case the highest of the BT Sport audience figures in the BARB data is beaten by all the BBC channels except BBC News, the 24 hour news service the BBC wanted to close because no one watches it. I don't care about adverts either as I never watch them - it is what fast forwards on a PVR is for!

just worked out that i "watch" about three hours of BBC per day at most and at that only Monday to Friday. Slightly more when there is snooker or indoor bowls on. which works out around 260 hours per year. License fee is £154.00 which works out at 60p a day. In my case.

So the more hours you watch the less per day it costs you as regards cost versus viewing time. In reality it is 42p per day per household regardless of whether you watch BBC or not, which is cheaper than a sun life funeral plan with the added bonus that at least with the BBC you get to see what you are paying for. 🤔☠️👻

• Haha 2

Let us not forget that BBC Radio do a grand job of many types of different stations Local radio plus Radio's 1 2 3 4 .. all totally advert free .. I think we underestimate what we get at such a bargain.. £154 a year

Whereas Virgin charge me £85 per month(£1020 a year) and I get adverts thrown at me as well.

And before anyone says " well that's your choice" I know it is... 

7 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

Let us not forget that BBC Radio do a grand job of many types of different stations Local radio plus Radio's 1 2 3 4 .. all totally advert free .. I think we underestimate what we get at such a bargain.. £154 a year

Whereas Virgin charge me £85 per month(£1020 a year) and I get adverts thrown at me as well.

And before anyone says " well that's your choice" I know it is... 

Yes and don't forget the Asian Radion and Scottish News Channel.

Why is there no BBC  Radio Cheshire, if we need Manchester, Liverpool and Lancashire radio stations we surely need a Cheshire one?

Tomorrow we get womens FA cup football final on prime BBC 1! 

About the lack of a BBC Radio Cheshire.The editorial boundaries of Radio's Merseyside and Manchester have always met in the middle of Warrington such that we are notionally covered by both. As usual in practice that means that they assume the other one is doing it so neither actually give us coverage. However in London we are covered!! The south of the county is in the editorial area of BBC Radio Stoke while West Cheshire and Chester are also in the area of Radio Merseyside. So the county is notionally covered but it just doesn't fell like it.

Secondly there are no FM frequencies available in this area without taking another station off the air as Radio Warrington found when they were consigned to AM. Policy is for BBC stations to leave AM so that would not happen. Thirdly BBC stations have to be carried by a local commercial DAB multiplex. There is no space on any DAB full power commercial multiplexes, they all carry the obligatory BBC service, so even if there was any money there is nowhere to put it and we don't need it anyway!!