TV dramas ?

Observer II

I've noticed poor sound on my TV when watching some of the "big" dramas on TV EG: Victoria.   Some actors come across quite clearly, while others don't  - in the case of Victoria, Albert is the worst example.  Now, at first, I thought the sound was faulty, so turned it up; then, when the ads came on, the sound was clear and deafening.  So I've concluded that the fault lies with actors mumbling their lines -  as anyone else noticed this ?

Adverts are a lot louder than the program, this is deliberate so that the adverts have a greater impact when they come on.

Most new TV's come with an auto levelling setting that is supposed to keep the volume level constant to stop over loud adverts.

Background music can be pretty obtrusive at times, although put in to provide extra effect to a scene such as tension in a crime drama,in some cases it drowns out the dialogue so much that although you know something dramatic is happening you are not sure what.

finally it could be a sign of hearing problems due to advancing age or excess noise damage from having your head in the speakers at concerts when you were a nipper. A trip to specsavers could help as big Ron would advise after finding out that the man hired was not a "professional driver".🙉

I always record shows and just fast forward the adverts.

Some shows are a nightmare with 4/5 min advert breaks every 15 mins especially the BGT / I'm a Celeb shows.And Downton Abbey was famous for it !

But satelite channels are almost as bad and I've already paid once with my subscription.

Netflix is a breath of fresh air with it's ad free shows( including every episode of the Line of Duty series)

• Upvote 1

I think Confused is right.  The problem is young 'arty' producers and directors who think artistic creativeness is more important than substance.  I'm tired of peering at the tv screen while shadowy figures flit around, doing things they could easily do with the lights on.  I guess they are the same guys who show minutes long shots of the crowd or managers during a soccer game!

• Upvote 1

I put some of this down to me just getting old. I'm pretty sure that as we get older, we tend to speak that bit slower and this probably works the other way around as well in that our ears and brains can't quite deal with the fast patter of a younger generation. 

Bill :)

BTW Stallard, where about in Texas are you? as I think I'll be flitting around your area later in the year. :)

1 hour ago, Stallard12 said:

I'm tired of peering at the tv screen while shadowy figures flit around, doing things they could easily do with the lights on.

Ever noticed how in films and tv programs there is just enough light to see how dark it is.🤔

i see itv are now offering an ad free service for a nominal fee.

3 hours ago, Stallard12 said:

I think Confused is right.  The problem is young 'arty' producers and directors who think artistic creativeness is more important than substance.  I'm tired of peering at the tv screen while shadowy figures flit around, doing things they could easily do with the lights on.  I guess they are the same guys who show minutes long shots of the crowd or managers during a soccer game!

This!! It drives me demented, specially when it's a "highlights" show like MOTD.

Must be a right problem on the odd closed gate no crowd matches. two minutes of empty terraces.🤭

i do wonder how people find enough time in the day to watch tv given that there are so many channels and choices of how to watch. if you spent just two minutes on each channel it would take over 14 hours just for virgin media with all the channels. ( including sports,adult and help channels there are about 422 channels)

Actually thinking about how much time i spend watching tv it is not a long as i thought. i tend to use it as background noise most times whilst waiting for a particular program to start so if there is an hour between two programs the tv is on but not really watched for that hour. so for ten hours of having the tv on it may be watched for six, less on the nights i go bowling or *domino's*. (at least by me personally)

* the game not the pizza place*:roll:

Bill,   We are in southeast Texas.  Approx 100 miles east of Houston, basically straight down IH 10 to Beaumont and then 40 miles north into the country to our area.

Close to Gulf of Mexico, close to Louisiana border, brutal summer climate - 100 degrees with 95% humidity, change clothes three times a day!    If you get close, Bec and I would have no problem meeting you for coffee and a chat.

Yep got all that but unfortunately I'm not the one doing the route planning this time so I'm not sure where our route will take us as yet. Texas is a part of the US that I've never been to so not really sure how the land lies or what to expect other than the fact it'll likely be a bit warm even in September when we plan to visit. 

Bill :)