What do you think about the investment in Yorkshire Solar Power

Geoffrey Settle

I remember the idea was raised at a workshop in c2010 and took place in the Gateway with an impressive energy model that included a solar farm in Warrington South, Wind Turbines and extracting the heat from underground sources but nothing was done about it.

This idea even made the main news item at 10pm last night on the BBC so are we making progress?

Contrary to what the BBC reported last night, Warrington will not be powered from these solar "farms" in Yorkshire. The scheme is to finance the building of them and then profit from the sale of the power produced by them and fed into the National Grid (power whose price benefits from Government subsidies). It doesn't matter where the source of the electricity is located, it's the owner of the source that profits.

The thing that worries me about plans like this is that we don't know what the future holds in store for us and when the payback time is something like twenty years it could easily end up not being as profitable as originally planned. So much of rush to get into these lucrative schemes is down to government subsidies but didn't the government withdraw a load of this sort of financial support a few years back due to the sheer numbers wanting to jump on the money for nothing bandwagon? 

Bill :)

9 hours ago, Davy51 said:

Surely ,in a town like Warrington with all its commercial & industrial mega structures ,there is plenty of scope to clad said outdoor roof spaces with solar panels instead of paying for greenfield space a hundred miles away ?

What about access issues for maintenance - all together in a field will benefit from economies of scale and location.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

The thing that worries me about plans like this is that we don't know what the future holds in store for us and when the payback time is something like twenty years it could easily end up not being as profitable as originally planned. So much of rush to get into these lucrative schemes is down to government subsidies but didn't the government withdraw a load of this sort of financial support a few years back due to the sheer numbers wanting to jump on the money for nothing bandwagon? 

Bill :)

The trial on the roof tops of houses in Warrington with Golden Gates as it was proved that electricity was generate come rain or shine. Elecy went into the property with the extra being sold on the grid.

5 hours ago, Geoffrey Settle said:

What about access issues for maintenance - all together in a field will benefit from economies of scale and location.

All in one place on the roof tops of Warrington's  industrial estates instead of in a muddy field in Yorkshire. There must be more sense in putting solar panels on brownfield than greenfield sites. The UK is awash with millions of square yards of roof space that is ideal for solar energy capture.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Davy51 said:

Surely ,in a town like Warrington with all its commercial & industrial mega structures ,there is plenty of scope to clad said outdoor roof spaces with solar panels instead of paying for greenfield space a hundred miles away ?

Your quite right and after the roof tops success that was the next step and some of the new warehouses alongside the M62 at Omega were going to be approached. It would be on their roof tops so they would have to partner with the owners and check out if the rooves could support the weight etc. Shortly afterwards the committee was wound up so I'm not sure how far Linton Green got with looking into the proposal. I've just sent him and copied in the leader a question to that effect?

Edited by Geoffrey Settle
Clarification
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Geoffrey Settle said:

Your quite right and after the roof tops success that was the next step and some of the new warehouses alongside the M62 at Omega were going to be approached. It would be on their roof tops so they would have to partner with the owners and check out if the rooves could support the weight etc. Shortly afterwards the committee was wound up so I'm not sure how far Linton Green got with looking into the proposal. I've just sent him and copied in the leader a question to that effect?

The budget for 19/20 incudes capital of £1.664 million for Photovoltaic cells at Hermes and Plastic Omnium

PLANS for a hydro powered scheme at Howley Weir have been given the green light by Warrington Borough Council.

The disused lock channel on the Mersey, adjacent to Parkdale Industrial Estate, would be used to generate hydroelectric power under planning permission granted by the council.

It seems a great idea and it will give immediate benefits.
It's a wonder something similar hasn't been built at Latchford Locks.
As there is a massive amount of hydro power wasted year in year out on this site.

2 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

PLANS for a hydro powered scheme at Howley Weir have been given the green light by Warrington Borough Council.

The disused lock channel on the Mersey, adjacent to Parkdale Industrial Estate, would be used to generate hydroelectric power under planning permission granted by the council.

It seems a great idea and it will give immediate benefits.
It's a wonder something similar hasn't been built at Latchford Locks.
As there is a massive amount of hydro power wasted year in year out on this site.

As Chair of Warrington Nature Conservation Forum I can say that our members have concerns about the activities may have impact of the river species. The Mersey Gateway Environmental Trust have been monitoring salmon at Woolston Weir for a couple of years and will be able to see if they will be an impact on those fish.

On 3/2/2019 at 5:23 AM, Geoffrey Settle said:

How about the schools, hospital and council owned offices and cinemas should they not get solar panels first?

It must cost more to buy electricity then sell it so there is a saving?

Warrington like all the UK is awash with roof space that could be utilised to provide energy for the national grid  & the beauty of solar power is that the same sun that powers one solar cell can power a billion solar cells. No drilling ,no digging , no blots on the landscape. 

3 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

This is a private venture, quite apart from any WBC expense .

Yes I get that, but if they are going to invest a million pounds in a solar farm for example  would they not be better off investing that money to solar power the hospital for example as the hospital has to be paying more then the cost to generate the same electricity in Yorkshire, more efficient for a start (although the hospital wastes so much  energy it is unbelievable. . Same is true of schools and when no one is in school they could be selling it?