Forward to the past ?

Observer II

Seems NHS stats are showing an increase in "Victorian" diseases, associated with poverty - rickets, scarlet fever etc.  Now whilst there may be no doubt that the wealth gap has increased relative poverty, are such stats down solely to that ?  Or, does ignorance and sloth have a part to play ?   Do "poor" parents, know how to prepare a healthy meal or do they just fill their kids up with quick and easy junk food, lacking vegetables ?  Do they ensure their kids get enough open air exercise, especially on a sunny day, so they can absorb vitamin D ?  Do they ensure their kids receive the full range of vaccinations ?   Anecdotal maybe, but I'm hearing of single mothers, feeding their kids on chicken nuggets, crisps etc, anything in a packet that can be quickly heated up; to the point where their kids will vomit if fed a healthy meal. Add to this the modern disease of obesity and it's no wonder there's a problem.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Seems NHS stats are showing an increase in "Victorian" diseases, associated with poverty - rickets, scarlet fever etc.  Now whilst there may be no doubt that the wealth gap has increased relative poverty, are such stats down solely to that ?  Or, does ignorance and sloth have a part to play ?   Do "poor" parents, know how to prepare a healthy meal or do they just fill their kids up with quick and easy junk food, lacking vegetables ?  Do they ensure their kids get enough open air exercise, especially on a sunny day, so they can absorb vitamin D ?  Do they ensure their kids receive the full range of vaccinations ?   Anecdotal maybe, but I'm hearing of single mothers, feeding their kids on chicken nuggets, crisps etc, anything in a packet that can be quickly heated up; to the point where their kids will vomit if fed a healthy meal. Add to this the modern disease of obesity and it's no wonder there's a problem.

There is no reason in this country why children cannot receive adequate health care and nutrition,everything is there if the parents are the least bit interested (or motivated)

The crux of the matter is that the attitude seems to be(in a small number of cases) Netflix/skysports/cars/holidays/latest designer clothes/oversized curved screen tv's/fast food... etc etc and then .

"Oh the kids?? The're happy enough;They will be alright; I suppose"

17 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Think the kids are viewing on these things - unsupervised; getting their heads screwed up - so it's no longer "MENS SANA INCORPORE SANO " (sure someone will correct the Latin !)

17 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Think the kids are viewing on these things - unsupervised; getting their heads screwed up - so it's no longer "MENS SANA INCORPORE SANO " (sure someone will correct the Latin !)

Mens sana in corpore sano ...

malum malum malum

Obs must improve his concentration much more by next term to achieve his ambitions.

• Haha 2

Looking at the numbers it's only a very very small percentage and I doubt there's much that can be done about it anyway unless of course you can change the way that people live their lives today.

I couldn't get my son to play out in the sunshine when he was young and as for his diet, well he would only eat a very small range of foods. My daughter was just the opposite but thankfully now in their middle age, they both seem fit and healthy.  My son now has four children of his own, three of which eat a good range of proper home cooked health food while the fourth took after his dad and will only eat plain pizza or pasta.

I reckon when kids are young, they can be fussy eaters but forcing them to eat things they don't want to eat isn't always the right way. It took six months in a special long stay children's hospital to sort out my son's dietary issues and although "cured" he was still incredibly fussy. The good news is of course that in time they tend to grow out of it and now he eat's better than I do.

Bill :)

• Upvote 1

The really young generation seem to be better informed about the benefits of healthy eating and exercise.

But kids are by nature fussy eaters todays "i will not eat that even if i was starving" foodstuff will be tomorrows "why can't i have that for breakfast dinner and tea" item.

There is no point do gooders saying they must eat this or that. if a kid won't eat it they won't eat it, they will play with it, feed it to the dog or throw it against the wall, but they won't eat it. (well until you say they can't have it then they will throw tantrum after tantrum until you let them have some.):roll:

I think even the so called experts haven't a clue. There was that healthy eating programme on BBC last year that debunked a lot of the healthy & expensive alternatives & it even said the correct diet & lifestyle would cure many diabetics. My wife goes to a well known slimming organisation where last year's sins are this year's must have & vice versa.

so we are regressing to the days when you lot grew up with scarlet fever etc.  Funny considering how healthy and wonderful the fogies claim to have been lol.  Bet far more kids got scarlet fever, mumps, measles   etc.  during the 40's and 50's than they do now.

• Downvote 2

And probably into the 60's as well pj.

it was a common idea that letting the kids get these diseases would strengthen their immune system against them and similar diseases in the future, the next time such disease went round you had already had it so the effects were lessened. "What does not kill us makes us stronger" sort of thing.

A bit like having the flu jab to prevent you getting a very bad dose of whatever strain is currently doing the rounds.

"When i were a lad" :roll: You were sent to school no matter what, short of any major part dropping off, and even then you had to have a note signed by the doctor, three priests and the local police chief to say that you were not fit for school that day.🤥

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Evil Sid said:

And probably into the 60's as well pj.

it was a common idea that letting the kids get these diseases would strengthen their immune system against them and similar diseases in the future, the next time such disease went round you had already had it so the effects were lessened. "What does not kill us makes us stronger" sort of thing.

A bit like having the flu jab to prevent you getting a very bad dose of whatever strain is currently doing the rounds.

"When i were a lad" :roll: You were sent to school no matter what, short of any major part dropping off, and even then you had to have a note signed by the doctor, three priests and the local police chief to say that you were not fit for school that day.🤥

Great parenting skills back then lol.  

• Downvote 1

Sid, they'd invented a social miracle - the NHS;  which ensured vaccinations, and a free nursery education system that provided medical inspections and free milk, real orange juice and cod liver oil; and encouraged PT. They removed the pre-war slums and provided new cheap rented Council housing for the Prols, with inside toilets.  Parents weren't terrified of letting their kids walk to school (no cars anyway) or play out all day (no computer games).  We now have a complaint from an NHS exec, that the take up of vaccinations has decreased, which he puts down to a denial culture spread by fake claims on the internet. So it seems, having largely cured a problem, we doomed to see it return by the ignorance of a new generation .

• Upvote 1