Insulin ?

Observer II

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

Assuming it's not just project fear, and that there is a grain of truth in the latest panic, that there will be a shortage of insulin supplies post-Brexit; why is it that we are reliant on importing such essential supplies ?

Is insulin available in Australia or Canada or Argentina or USA or anywhere else in the world not shackled to the EU ?

Of course it is.

Come to that in the days of World War 2 Britain produced it's own insulin 

This is up to us to produce it or buy it from any and all suppliers.

These eurocrats cannot and will not hold our nations health to ransom !!

They are simply trying to terrorise any other member state from leaving in future.

• Upvote 3

So more scare tactics to put fear and mass panic into peoples minds and yes a ploy to either make us (the UK people) think 'Shite maybe we'd best not leave after all then'. 
Probably a ploy to put fear into all other countries who may be quietly thinking that they may leave too.  Such a large proportion of people here and around the world are diabetic and NEED insulin so no wonder they are trying this tactic to keep us all REMAIN. 

The more scare stories I see the more determined I am that we should LEAVE and put 2 fingers up to the lot of them.  YES WE WILL ALL BE OK...IF WE CAN SURVIVE 2 ATROCIOUS WORLD WARS AND THE REST WE CAN BLOODY SURVIVE BREXIT !  

• Upvote 4

I have to smile at the EU, while they threaten us with A Place In Hell,,,

We just plod on and enjoy the wonderful country we have...

Oh and my Mum had to deal with these things and still found time to bring up her family totally oblivious to life's little problems 😉

Slide 16 of 26: It wasn't just food that was rationed - there were coupon books for fuel, clothing, motorcycles.

How on earth we found time to rescue them from their German neighbours and liberate them all is just beyond me.. 😄

• Upvote 2

Whilst I'm certainly not an economist, I would have thought that the optimum economic model for a Nation is to be self sufficient, or at least having minimum reliance on imports, whilst maximising exports.  Of course, in two world wars, we were faced with the reality that we were far from self sufficient, with a reliance on the Commonwealth and others for food supplies, which had to run the gauntlet of the Kriegsmarine; thus a recourse to such desperate measures as "dig for Britain", planting every inch of open land with vegetables.  Thanks to the sacrifices of the Merchant Navy (50,000 sailors) and RN,  Britain survived the siege and went on (with the US and US resources) to liberate the rest of Europe.  Moving on: after joining the EU (EEC as it was then), we experienced the glut of butter mountains and wine lakes, and huge subsidies to inefficient French farmers in the form of the CAP;  with an EU response to pay farmers to leave fields fallow, thus under-producing.   Now the question is, can we produce enough food to feed our population, given that new technologies are now available to maximise yields and even tropical fruits.  Add to this the importation (without EU tariffs) on foods and wines etc from non-EU countries, and one would assume we will continue to have a full plate at meal times.  As for industrial production;  aside from the fact that most is now foreign owned, even our utilities,  the question arises - why can't we produce our own cars, for our own people ?   Having bought a new car that I thought was made in the UK, I was surprised to discover that it was actually made in S/Korea.   The damage seems to have occurred in the 60s; when price became the sole factor behind purchase;  hence the Japanese invasion , with old enemies utilising modern industrial technologies producing cheaper products.  This has since spread to include China and India,  with all products from cars to clothing, with the death of our own industrial base, and consequent unemployment ( with Thatcher adding the coup de grace).  Whilst it was said at the time, and whilst it's easy to say; we should have bought British and protected our own economic viabilty - alas now water under the bridge.   As proof of this, the German traditional loyalty to their own brands, has helped produce continued high trade surpluses and a healthy economic model, so it has worked.  So, whilst there are no short term solutions, a long term move to more self sufficiency and greater investment in technological innovation and a supportive educational curriculum, should keep us ahead of the curve in the future.  Let's make no mistake,  the myth of globalism, is merely a cloak for the age old exploitation of global natural resources, including cheap labour; and based politically on National self interest.  That National self interest is a form of competition, and the best prepared and adapted will survive best.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, P J said:

it's all just scare tactics, just like when they told us Nissan would pull investment from their car making in the UK, as if that will happen.

Quite right PJ, that isn't what happened. Nissan pulled out of the model being built anywhere in Europe and pulled it back to Japan because of the way the EU is behaving on Diesel. They have said this quite clearly but a certain kind of person still wants to scaremonger ...

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Confused52 said:

Quite right PJ, that isn't what happened. Nissan pulled out of the model being built anywhere in Europe and pulled it back to Japan because of the way the EU is behaving on Diesel. They have said this quite clearly but a certain kind of person still wants to scaremonger ...

bollox,  they stated uncertainty over Brexit but don't let that cloud your dogma.  Keep your head firmly buried in the sand, fingers in ears and sing LaLa La all day long

• Downvote 2

On 2/8/2019 at 8:25 PM, P J said:

bollox,  they stated uncertainty over Brexit but don't let that cloud your dogma.  Keep your head firmly buried in the sand, fingers in ears and sing LaLa La all day long

So they did, but they are still going to build the new Juke and  Qashqai  in the UK and if you talk to the people who work at Nissan they will tell you the real reason they will not make the X- Trail in the UK is because of lack .of capacity.

When I was involved in courier business one of the regular jobs we had was delivering pharmaceuticals that came into Manchester airport every night from the USA among other things. Now the USA is not in the EU, occasionally there was a delay of an hour or two but there was never ever any disruption

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Milky said:

So they did, but they are still going to build the new Juke and  Qashqai  in the UK and if you talk to the people who work at Nissan they will tell you the real reason they will not make the X- Trail in the UK is because of lack .of capacity.

When I was involved in courier business one of the regular jobs we had was delivering pharmaceuticals that came into Manchester airport every night from the USA among other things. Now the USA is not in the EU, occasionally there was a delay of an hour or two but there was never ever any disruption

Phew,  thank heavens everything is honky dory,  after we leave we're all gonna be so rich .

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Observer II said:

Porche are saying their cars will cost 10% more post-Brexit; not that many can afford them anyway, but I presume Porche realise they'll be selling less cars into the UK, thus taking a dip in profits.   

It depends on what tariff, if any, the government put on car imports surely? So until that is known Porche can't put a price on it, unless they intend increasing the price by 10% themselves.