How many are left?

Stallard12

Who is left who can claim to be among those who climbed the closed crossing gates on Widerspool Causeway, to be sure not to be late for kickoff at Wilderspool Stadium.  Who waited until half time to be able to get into the 30,000 crowd at the Warrington v Wigan game thru the opened gate on Fletcher St. Who has seen the LNER train stop behind the Boys Pen (sexist?), to watch the game ?

It used to be Smithy and me, but Smithy died a month ago, so it might now be just me.

Can't match that but can just about remember the crossing. Later when the bridge was built I remember we would always buy a programme from a seller who regularly stood just past the top and although I don't think I ever read them that much I was quite proud of my collection. 

BTW hope you have a very Happy Birthday today!!!

Bill :)

It only happened when they closed the turnstiles when the ground was completely full.  Hard to imagine now, but the ground held 33,000 and the Wigan match had it full an hour before kickoff.

When that happened, they opened the big double gates at the front of the ground at halftime so that the crowd could get out easily. Us little rascals would wait for it to happen then slink in to watch the second half.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 12:55 AM, Stallard12 said:

Who is left who can claim to be among those who climbed the closed crossing gates on Widerspool Causeway, to be sure not to be late for kickoff at Wilderspool Stadium.  Who waited until half time to be able to get into the 30,000 crowd at the Warrington v Wigan game thru the opened gate on Fletcher St. Who has seen the LNER train stop behind the Boys Pen (sexist?), to watch the game ?

It used to be Smithy and me, but Smithy died a month ago, so it might now be just me.

Well I remember the train.and a hole in the fence off the railway line(saved waiting till half time)  ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 1:28 PM, Stallard12 said:

Surprised we didn't meet in the kids pen Latchie, I was wearing a grey shirt and grey short pants - you musta seen me !   

On 2/14/2019 at 1:28 PM, Stallard12 said:

Surprised we didn't meet in the kids pen Latchie, I was wearing a grey shirt and grey short pants - you musta seen me !   

So was I but also with my pink NHS specs on (I hated 'em with a passion 🤓)