Drones ?

Observer II

Well, if the disruption at Gatwick is anything to go by, perhaps the 29th March really will be apocalypse.  Can't they get the local clay pigeon shooters out ?  Or, perhaps trained falcons or eagles to bring them down (sure I saw a prog about it).  Believe the RAF used birds of prey to clear runways of birds in the past. Whoever the perp is, it would seem a draconian example should be made with the sentence.

These things should have been more closely scrutinised when they first came on sale to the general public. A registration of all drones and a test of capability on the new owners.

It seems we now have a new tool in the criminals and terrorists inventory, but surely that was obvious from day one.

• Upvote 1

If you are intent on causing disruption you would get it from another jurisdiction, use a control frequency where direction finding is impossible (which most of them use anyway) and fly it from a car not a van. Banning all traffic on every road in radio range of the runway and hence engine inlets is going to be impossible and the culprits could be moving around the car parks inside the perimeter with the drone being controlled by more than one party in different locations. An absolute nightmare, good that they have called in the Army because it needs eyes everywhere at once. What do you reckon a Terrorist or a politically motivated crank?

Another unwanted bi product of the internet /techno/ electronic age , but hopefully just a bit of mischief that will open a few eyes to how dangerous they would be in the wrong hands.

A brilliant piece of kit but the antidote to their nuisance value should have been concretely put in place before they were put on sale to the public.

• Upvote 2

Amazing that we have automatic gun aimers that can track and shoot down a missile five or so miles away but can't stop a small drone flying over an airfield.

Shotguns would not be the answer due to their limited range. I think i remember seeing something about a police force that had trained some eagles to bring down drones.( may have been dutch police).

Signal jammers will only work if the drone is flown "live" ,if it has been preprogrammed to fly a route then there is no signal to jam or track back to it's origin. Software that uses gps no go areas can be easily negated. Laser cannons do work providing they can get a clear line of sight for long enough to over heat the batteries and thus bring the drone down. (although bits of burning drone dropping out of the sky can present other problems).

Registering when buying is all well and good but depends on the honesty of the buyer to provide valid details. (something your average "wrongdoer" is adept at not doing and buying on line through a paypal account set up for just that one purchase is just as easy).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Well at long last the miscreants are now under lock and key; 👍

I just hope we don't have a rash of copy cat idiots having a go..

A long custodial sentence for the present culprits may send out the right message to any other potential fools who would like their 15 minutes of fame .Image result for chain gang cartoon

• Upvote 1

i think that the punishment of six months is about the right sentence.

Six months in a cage outside gatwick with a sign detailing their crimes and a barrow load of rotten fruit and veg supplied daily for airport users to throw. (got to feed them something for six months) Hosed down twice a week to keep the smell down and provide fresh drinking water.

Cruel and unusual punishment, well yes but it is only for six months and it will save the cost of a prison guard, electricity for lighting heating and also provide some much needed entertainment for delayed passengers. Be more of a draw than some magician in a box anyhow.🧙‍♂️🤔

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Observer II said:

Well, it could be, that there were no drones after all or it was a dummy run by Al Quaeda  -   if this is the level of preparedness and competance by our authorities -  it looks like the 29th March really is going to be apocalyptic !      🙄

How could there have been no drones, I do not get it mass hallucination? 

top bombing that man.

Strange as it may seem you cannot legally shoot down a drone flying over your property.

Bringing one down with a toilet roll or other device of a similar nature might well be legal.

however you could be liable for property damage to the drone or to whom evers property it subsequently lands on and personal injury claims if it happens to land on somebody.

6 hours ago, Davy51 said:

The police have now stated that police drones were operating in the area at the time of the incident.....oh dear me. In fact ,one of the photos they showed a couple of days ago was so blurred it could even have been a bird of prey.

These are the police that are so underfunded they can only afford to have a few dozen police cars' paint jobs redone to reflect "GayPride" day, and don't investigate crimes that don't involve "hate speech" any more.

• Upvote 1

I talked with a ufologist friend of mine and even he could not tell if it was a drone, a bird or an alien space ship. of course if it was the latter then  the gov would automatically hush it up, he told me it is amazing some of the things the gov has hushed up about ufo's (he never did get round to saying how he knew about them though, odd that if they was hushed up)

Sort of reminds me of the superman comics i read as a kid. "Look! up in the sky!", "It's a bird", " It's a plane", "No it's superman!!", "Our hero" *sigh!*

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Seems the latest theory is, that the perp was a disgruntled employee - if so - why hasn't Plod arrested him or her ?

55 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Seems the latest theory is, that the perp was a disgruntled employee - if so - why hasn't Plod arrested him or her ?

I guess there must be thousands work there and trawling through all the ones with a grudge or bee in their bonnet is just not worth the bother.