"hate crime" ?

Observer II

1 hour ago, asperity said:

All seems to be nearly sorted. And some stupid people do something tasteless at a private party that some stupid person video'd and shared on social media, enabling some more stupid people to be offended. I don't know what society has become when everybody has to be "offended" by anything, and anybody who isn't suitably "offended" is deemed to be beyond the pale.

Oooh....so I guess you are calling me STUPID cos I found the video offensive :huh:

<<Dizzy swiftly sits on her hands well away from her computer keyboard.... and also frantically, using her bare feet and toes, tries to turn her mobile phone and tablet off which also have internet access and a means of replying>>  

I'm not saying that people who are offended by everything are per se stupid, but to share that offended feeling on social media and decry anyone who doesn't share that feeling as being somehow subhuman is stupid. And as for taking these idiots to court, well unless a new law is enacted and made retrospective (something I wouldn't put past our joke of a PM) the case would be laughed out. They did something stupid and for that they've been held up in front of public opinion and ridiculed. End of story.

• Upvote 1

There is no need to enact a new law, one already exists under which these morons were arrested.  It falls under Public Order Offences.  Further demonisation of people who have suffered more than most through no fault of their own should be stamped upon. 

11 hours ago, Dizzy said:

The 'Guy Fawkes' saga happened in the 1600's Asp...a very long time ago.... so (in my opinion) I don't really find the burning of a home made effigy of a Fawkes man made and dressed up in dads old jeans and stuffed with straw to be offensive.  Just as I don't find it offensive that people set off fireworks or build bonfires to 'mark' the same event.   I do find fireworks bloody annoying though  with all the mage big bangs though.

And appologies re me saying 100's of people died in Grenfell when as you say it was actually 71.   What I should have said was "71 dead...hundreds injured and every person in that building and nearly including the fire service etc all probably traumatised for life" .

As for reports saying 150 families still waiting to rehomed but there were only 120 flats in the building...could it be that generations of families were living together ie mum and dad living with son/daughter and their own kids  etc.   

I do agree with you though that police resources need to be used properly as they are stretched to the limit as it is..... someone else could throw the book at idiots though through the court system or other means.  

Anyway it's just my own view re the Grenfell effigy burning...we all have different things that rattle us and make us feel sick and appalled...mine is things like that and animal cruelty, cruelty to kids...I could go on an on but then I will get more grumpy the more I think about things that upset and rattle me :(

Nighty night Asp :D x 

I don't want to keep going back to this but it seems you haven't looked at the link I posted giving the rehousing status at present. And exaggerating numbers such as "hundreds injured" when the official reports give the number as "more than 70" doesn't help to put things in perspective. Yes it was a terrifying event and the people affected should be given all the help they need, but using the police and the court system in a heavy handed way to deal with some peoples' idiocy is over the top.

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2018 at 12:08 PM, asperity said:

I don't want to keep going back to this but it seems you haven't looked at the link I posted giving the rehousing status at present. And exaggerating numbers such as "hundreds injured" when the official reports give the number as "more than 70" doesn't help to put things in perspective. Yes it was a terrifying event and the people affected should be given all the help they need, but using the police and the court system in a heavy handed way to deal with some peoples' idiocy is over the top.

OK...I am sorry and we will just have to agree to disagree then?... ok ?  :D 

Good job I'm not  not a police woman or a judge eh  ;)