Space reserved ?

Observer II

• 2 weeks later...

As I don't have any children of appropriate age I'd just smile and pass her by. 

If I did have a child of an appropriate age and wanted the space too I'd just drive in and make her and her kid get out of the way.  I remember what it was like to have youngster in the car (usually whinging) and nowhere to spark......needs must lol

There are signs that supposedly let us know how many spaces are available but finding them is the big problem.

It wouldn't be a big or costly job to put sensors above each bay to allow people to see where the spaces are but I cant see the council doing anything that actually makes life easier for the motorist. 

Simplest solution is don't go into town when it's busy. Golden Square is free and relatively empty after 4 pm on Thursdays and while I'm not sure if the Market car park does this, there always seems to be a lot more spaces.

Bill :)

This was a national news item, not a personal experience - the point being; should anyone "on foot" be allowed to "reserve" an empty car parking space ?   It would seem that one could just "slowly" drive into it, nudging them out of the way, but then would you leave the car there , as the disgruntled woman might trash it ?       B)

17 hours ago, asperity said:

I'm just glad I take the bus.

If you really MUST drive then you really MUST accept the consequence of there, sometimes, not being a parking space where and when you want it. This is the reality of living today, accept it and stop complaining about nothing.

When you have driven into the car park you have already agreed to Pay, so if there is no space the money has been taken under false pretences. It can happen when the is someone using two spaces. There are also spaces reserved for disabled drivers which you cannot use but the disabled drivers haven't turned up. There is no system to allowing use of disabled spaces in a congested car park. The disabled user can find a reserved space but probably reduces the general space available too. The signs that just show a count of cars are less than useless. In Warrington after 6pm then unless you live in an area with a large number of social housing tenants then yes, you really MUST drive. The council regard an evening bus service as for the few not the many.

The car parks are almost empty in the evening. I went to Golden Square last night (free parking) at just gone 5 pm and it was only about 50% full even on the 1st level.  When I left at 9 it was almost deserted. but you need to take care to remember that the Market car park gets locked up at 10 pm and midnight for Golden Square. 

Bill :)

21 hours ago, asperity said:

Confused, I'm confused. Are you trying to say that after 6pm the car parks are all still full? As for the bus service I can see your point but it has to be run on economical lines so a reduction in service in the evenings is to be expected.

No the car parks are not full after 6pm , as Bill confirms. However the bus service is so poor that you have to have a car if you don't live in a blessed area of the town. For your information there is not a single bus route in the evening run by WBT on a commercial (or economic lines as you put it). All of the bus routes with numbers followed by "E" e.g. "16E" are all supported by the council. Warrington does not pay for the Arriva buses but Merseyside does and the 22 to Newton and Wigan is paid for by TfGM.

Living in Newton, i have tried  the 22 into town for the match but because the service changes after 8pm (?) to continue on to Wigan  the times of leaving Warrington have been changed to half past the hour. Couple that with  7 45 kick off & it means either leaving the game early or hanging about till 10 30.

So Confused, would you be in favour of Network Warrington increasing all fares across the board to support a full bus service in the evenings, used by few passengers, on the off-chance that you might want to go into town one evening sometime? Or would you accept that they, having the experience and the supporting data, know what sort of service is viable? As the saying goes "you don't get ought for nought".

I am not continuing this discussion which is now off-topic. However they don't have the data because the service provision for bus services has a dramatic and non-linear effect on ridership which the council to convince them that they are justified in cutting the service that they are required to provide and which is included in the money that that retain from Business Rates, it is still there it hasn't been cut to nothing by the government, just by this council

41 minutes ago, Confused52 said:

I am not continuing this discussion which is now off-topic. However they don't have the data because the service provision for bus services has a dramatic and non-linear effect on ridership which the council to convince them that they are justified in cutting the service that they are required to provide and which is included in the money that that retain from Business Rates, it is still there it hasn't been cut to nothing by the government, just by this council

Wow! Talk about word salad. Perhaps you could undertake a bit of proof reading on that mish-mash :huh:.