Appleton, with Hull.

Peter T

Appleton, with Hull

APPLETON, with Hull, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Great Budworth, union of Runcorn, E. division of the hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Warrington, on the road to Northwich; containing 1753 inhabitants. The manor, with its hamlets of Hull and Stockton, belonged in the reign of Henry III. to Geffrey Dutton, and subsequently passed, with Budworth, to Sir Peter Warburton, Bart. Bradley, another manor, was given by Geffrey, son of Adam de Dutton, to the ancestor of Thomas Daniers or Daniel, whose daughter and heiress, in the reign of Edward III., brought it by marriage to the Savage family; in 1622 it was the seat of the Greggs, and at a later period was held by the Egertons, of Oulton, of whom it was purchased in 1800 by Richard Wilson, Esq. The township was inclosed by an act passed in 1764, and comprises 3048 acres; the soil is clay and sand, with rock, but the first prevails: the Bridgewater canal passes through. A court baron is held by R. E. E. Warburton, Esq. Appleton Hall is the seat of Thomas Lyne, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of ?150, and a residence; patrons, Thomas and Gilbert Greenall, Esqrs.: the church is a plain structure, erected at a cost of ?1000. At Stockton Heath is a chapel dedicated to St. Thomas, the incumbent of which has an income of ?124. There is also a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a school for infants, boys and girls, is supported by subscription.

Is this any better?

Appleton or Hull and Appleton, a township in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire, stretching from 1/2 to 4 1/2 miles S and SW of Warrington, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Stockton Heath. Acreage, 3422; population, 2759. Stockton Heath, with Wilderspool, was constituted an ecclesiastical parish in 1838. The remainder of the township was made a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1887, under the name of Appleton Thorne. Population, 375. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; value, ?290. It contains the hamlets of Appleton Thorne, Appleton Cross, Hill Cliff, Stockton Heath, and Wilderspool. Appleton Hall is a chief residence. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.

Keep digging Mike. This gets more and more interesting.

Appleton Cross is still there on the corner of the Old Cann Lane.

Appleton Hall was a Girl's Approved school(I think) before it was demolished.

And there was also Grappenhall Heyes, which ended up as a Furniture storage placed for Pickford's (I think)and that was pulled down.Although the Victorian Kitchen Garden is still going and being used.

I will have to Google Stretton to see where that fits into the picture.

Appleton Hall was a Girl's Approved school(I think) before it was demolished.
It certainly was,& if you threw up a woodbine to their bedroom windows,the girls would give you a quick flash!Happy days.

And there was also Grappenhall Heyes, which ended up as a Furniture storage placed for Pickford's (I think)
As a young lad in the 50's,we decided to have a look inside,the police came & give us a right rolocking.It was either Pickfords or Roy Trevors who stored furniture there.

• 1 year later...

I'd be very interested to know more about Appleton Hall and its history. I am researching training programmes for the unemployed in the 1930s, and Appleton Hall was used to offer "home training" for unemployed women who wanted to become domestic servants. Most of these schemes came to an end in 1939, when the War led to a big fall in unemployment rates. Is it true that the Hall was demolished in the 1960s? And how long was it an approved school?