Labour shortage ?

Observer II

Among the continued Brexit doom and gloom from Remainers, is the plight of farmers who employ immigrant labour for fruit picking etc. Well, aside from the fact that seasonal labour could be granted seasonal visas;  what about the indigenous jobless, who prefer lying in bed?   If they don't take available jobs, why not just stop their dole ?

• Upvote 2

I see the CBI have been calling for immigration to be relaxed to allow their members to recruit cheap labour but it's great to hear Ian Duncan Smith talking about the more important need being to get more of our own people into these jobs. We need to get more of our people off supplementary benefits & back into full time work, on a living wage .

27 minutes ago, Observer II said:

We have staff shortages because lazy cheapskate employers and HMG,  prefer to rob other (poorer) Nations of their skilled staff, rather than recruiting and training indigenous workers.  :rolleyes:

What a silly post.  They are recruiting from all over the world.  And not just HMG .  Many highly skilled appointments are filled by foreign experts. Your concern and compassion for other countries is so touching though, I feel giddy from imbibing your milk of human kindness.  

Considering,in our lifetimes ,so many labour intensive jobs have disappeared i find it hard to believe that ,within our population , there are not ample able bodied people currently surfing the benefit wave to provide for most if not all of our employment needs  without there ever needing to be a labour shortage as we "catastrophically " fall off the Brexit cliff.

24 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Of course they're "experts", or rather some of them; excluding of course the seasonal farm labour;  but they've been trained at the expense of some other country, only to be poached, as off the shelf skills are cheaper. Statement of the rather obvious really.   :rolleyes:

Dont try to spoil it, I know deep down you have a beautiful soul and care deeply for all the people of the earth.  You are a prince amongst men and a beautiful person.  I love you man x

I wager you couldn’t and wouldn’t be prepared to work as hard as the east European fruit pickers do for their wages, and you need to graft and be skilled as in most cases it’s results based pay.  We have record low unemployment and most unemployed are in towns and cities, miles from the farm jobs. Fruit picking has been seriously hit by eu citizens turning their backs on the UK for several reasons, one of which is the attitude of certain xenophobes towards them.  Bravo

pay more for your food- never saw that on a bus

Just parading your ignorance and fear mongering now.  Most of the migrant farm workers are here because they can earn more here than in their home countries, and still prove cheap to employ; which gives and idea of just how low wages are in their home countries (members of the EU ! )  The 3 million EU migrants in the UK are currently campaigning for settled status, to remain the UK post Brexit,  so a resounding vote of confidence by them in the UK's future, unlike the the pathetic remoaners scared of their own shadows.  So absolutely no problem retaining such menial labour post Brexit on the basis of seasonal work permits. :rolleyes: