Bins

asperity

Always a contentious topic bin collection/recycling. How about the Bilbao solution? Turn it into electricity!

http://www.zabalgarbi.com/en/

Fiddlers Ferry power station is overdue for closure. How about knocking the old power station down and building an incinerator cum power station on the site? What? Us NIMBYS in Penketh wouldn't stand for it? I'm sure we would B)

There's no doubt that this type of technology has moved on considerably and provides a good alternative to what we have now. However despite this, a lot of people won't want it anywhere near them understandably perceiving it as a real threat to their health. There would be some localised pollutants so a site would need to be far enough away from heavily populated area while being not too far from the source of the waste. A plant like this providing it's only of sufficient size to deal with locally produced waste might be acceptable. Where the previous plans for Warrington fell apart was sighting it a residential area (Longford/Bewsey) and then saying waste would be shipped in from neighbouring areas.

Bill :)

The type of incinerator/power plant shown in the link would be a vast improvement on Fiddlers Ferry which is a fair distance away from any housing. But, as you say, a lot of people wouldn't want it. But a lot of people don't want a lot of things while at the same time want electricity, gas and their waste taken care of.

That's very true.

I think if people could think back and draw comparisons with the time that we all burn coal along with loads of other household waste within our own homes then a plant like this would look infinitely better. The thing I like about this is that it's killing two birds with one stone, sustainable cheap energy and disposing of waste (especially plastics).

I've just chopped up a load of old furniture and taken it to the tip probably going for landfill but it would be nice to think it could have provided me electricity instead.

Edited by Bill

Oh yes the old coal fire! Brings back memories of cold winter evenings with the whole family huddled within a three foot radius of the fire, not daring to move away for fear of freezing to a block of ice in an instant. Happy days :wacko:.

Makes you wonder why we are opting for nuclear plants to be built. There must be some long term reason. cost of plant versus lifetime of plant versus efficiency of electricity generated.But given our current "need to be green" culture you would think they would be springing up like mushrooms close to motorway networks with their own dedicated junctions.

On the plus side for the coal fires. they heated the brick the whole length of the chimney and so at least kept some of the chill out of the floor above where mum and dad had their bedroom.

Where i was dragged up the back room was the main living room and the kitchen sink backed onto the other side of the chimney so even in the harshest winter the water pipes never froze.

The front room (or parlour as it was known) only ever got used on a Sunday and as far as i remember never had a fire lit in the grate the whole time we lived there.

Meant that us kids bedroom was freezing in winter and sharing a bed with a sibling was a must rather than an annoyance.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I don't live in Edinburgh as I'd never keep up with that rota for 5 different receptacles and I don't have space for them but having just googled what goes in each of theirs it does sound like they cater for a lot that maybe we just put in our black bins which goes into landfill.

Saying that does our black bin waste actually get sorted through at the depots/landfil sites in case some can be recycled before it is deposited into landfil...I'm sure it must...but if it doesn't WHY NOT ?

Thinking about it...no I wouldn't fancy that job Asp especially in this heat with fortnightly bin collections (wiffy or what !!) It was bad enough looking through bags in my own black bin when I thought I'd accidentally thrown my house keys in it.  

What made it worse after looking through the bin  I found them in my work coat pocket even though I'd looked there first..clearly not well enough :unsure: :lol: 

Blimey I've just been down to ours and wiffy doesn't begin to describe it.

I'd use my pressure washer to clean it out but I've heard stories that the council have a CCTV drones on the lookout for this sort of thing.

CCTV should be used to fight crime, not to raise revenue. :(

49 minutes ago, Bill said:

Blimey I've just been down to ours and wiffy doesn't begin to describe it.

I'd use my pressure washer to clean it out but I've heard stories that the council have a CCTV drones on the lookout for this sort of thing.

CCTV should be used to fight crime, not to raise revenue. :(

Why would the council be on the lookout for people cleaning their bins? There's private contractors who go around cleaning people's bins all the time. Tell us more Bill!

Mines Well Laden at the moment :D

You need to watch these beggars Asp. If they get the chance to catch you doing anything wrong with their bins then you could be in the firing line for a hefty fine. I put a banana skin in the green bin recently because I thought it was compostable but the wife removed it saying she didn't want to risk upsetting the council and being evicted again.

Thank God I own my own home now.

WBC and a banana skins are both slippery buggers but the banana can't help it.