The wonders of officialdom...

Davy51

While i was out for a walk last  Friday my route took me under a railway pedestrian underpass. One of the electric light fittings had been removed & the live wire left at just the right height for kids to swing on with possibly fatal results. A few minutes later i came across a couple of PCSOs & reported the matter to them.Apparently it wasn't their job & they suggested i contact the council ,which i did by e mail....their reply was to contact British Rail at which point gave up on the job.

While i was out today i came across a  Staffordshire dog running about with no collar or muzzle ,running all  over the place it was  ,on & off the road between traffic ,an accident waiting to happen. I called in the local police station to report the dog & they weren't even interested that it could attack someone or cause an accident....the response "you need to contact the council ". 

I don't think so !

It is amazing how many officials are no more than clerks ,skilled in nothing more than passing the buck.

Well when you consider that prevention is also a task for the police it seems ridiculous that they would allow the potential cause of one or more traffic accidents to roam the streets & a potential attacker of pedestrians to roam free when early prevention could save a lot of later public criticism. It seems that after every such incident lessons are supposedly learned....until the next time.

Dog wardens are trained and have the equipment to deal with stray/lost dogs wandering around the police aren't. After all you would not get an electrician out to fix a leaky pipe in your house.

I would say though that there was nothing stopping the officer that it was reported to from calling the dog wardens out.

Crikey that's awful and surely the police should have taken the report of live electric cables seriously especially as you say they were at a height that kids could have reached.  They should have acted upon it immediately even if to just cordon off the underpass until such time that 'whoever' could have made it safe.  Thank goodness nobody was hurt.... I hope it has now been sorted !!  

As for the dog running about near a road surely they should have done something about that too if the little four legged chap could have caused an accident or been hot by a car and been killed :(

As for it being a Staffie...why do people always presume they are dangerous dogs and will attack people :(   Sad that so many people have that view..... 

5 hours ago, Dizzy said:

As for it being a Staffie...why do people always presume they are dangerous dogs and will attack people :(   Sad that so many people have that view..... 

Because it's often true. But only because the poor dog has been brutalised by the idiot on the other end of the lead. 

I know Staffies do get bad press & it could have been any dog that could attack a person but they are the breed that are usually known to be dangerous especially ,if like grey man says they have been brutalised by their knuckle dragging owners. Unfortunately, certain members of society  acquire staffies  as a status symbol & a form of intimidation. This particular one had apparently been abandoned as it had no collar.

Fair points Greyman, Davy and Obs and yes some low life owners do choose staffies and other big breeds as a 'status' symbol and yes some are so idiotic that they love nothing more than to teach their dogs bad habits.  

It's such a shame as staffies as a breed are such loyal, gentle and loving dogs.  I'd have one any day.  

In my opinion where owners have purposely made a dog aggressive to the extent that it attacks someone then owner(s) should be put to sleep too  just like the dog often is.  

• Upvote 1