Cambridge Analytical ?

observer

Yet another headless chicken scenario: - all these people are doing, is what advertising consultants  have been doing for years; farming data on potential customers then targeting the sales pitch to suit their preferred likes and dislikes. At the end of the day, there doesn't appear to be any evidence of anyone entering the ballot box, behind a voter and forcing them to vote for any particular candidate.  What, if anything, the establishment are saying to the public, is that you are too thick to adopt your own opinion (which could be true in some cases), and are vunerable to such antics. But at the end of the day, as with any corporate advertising, no one forces you to buy the product.      :ph34r:      

In essence, this is just a refined and high tech voter identification system, employed by politicians since politics originated - in order to "play to the crowd" you need to know what "the crowd" want. The problem is, that usually, having discovered what the majority want, promising it to get elected, the politicians conveniently abandon those policies and do their own thing, as they arrogantly assume they know what's best for us.    Perhaps in the future, the whole thing could be computerised, thus cutting out the middle men (the politicians) - but alas turkeys don't vote for Christmas.      :ph34r:

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:05 PM, observer said:

In essence, this is just a refined and high tech voter identification system, employed by politicians since politics originated - in order to "play to the crowd" you need to know what "the crowd" want. The problem is, that usually, having discovered what the majority want, promising it to get elected, the politicians conveniently abandon those policies and do their own thing, as they arrogantly assume they know what's best for us.    Perhaps in the future, the whole thing could be computerised, thus cutting out the middle men (the politicians) - but alas turkeys don't vote for Christmas.      :ph34r:

It's sounding like this CH4 led hysteria, is looking like just that - hysteria.    

Has had some effect though as i now keep getting letters and texts from places to explain what their policy is regarding the sharing of any data they have on me. what it basically boils down to is that they won't share if i don't want them to.

trouble is any data about me has already been shared hence the ppi/accident claims/ isa claims/bank charge claims/pension review and market survey calls that are a constant blight in our society.

getting to the point that i will soon be answering the phone and when asked if i am who i am will be replying "no i died last week"

• Like 1

Your point about data being already shared is well made.

The reason for all the letters, texts and emails about data privacy policy is the coming into force on 25th May of the EU General Data Protection Regulation. It will be carried over after Brexit. Unfortunately it is nothing to do with Cambridge Analytica!

It all boils down to "privacy";  in the old days there was a saying " don't air your dirty washing in public", which sounds sensible.  However, we live in an age where sense has been lost, leaving air heads to put everything out there on facebook.  In the supposed environment of data protection, any retailer can ask for your postcode, and immediately get your name and address on screen, so how did they get it ?  What surprises me is, if the world of commerce is so efficient at obtaining your data, and possibly sharing it; why does HMG seem to have a problem with data storage ?        :wacko:

Which HMG data storage problem did you have in mind? You should consider that DWP has data that goes back to computerised data from card held NI stamp records and can calculate your pension all the way back to graduated pensions and how many stamps you were credited in every year since you were 16. But that is because they knew they needed to do that. They even have algorithms which were taken into account in setting contribution rates in past times . Windrush records were on paper could have been scanned but would not have been possible to OCR the hand-written records. They couldn't see the point so they got lost.

Government has a clear policy on destroying data that is not needed any more, what they really need is a better crystal ball, 

• Haha 1