Spy games ?

observer

I think I heard on the news something about them being seen with a syringe in a plastic bag. and maybe that led to the initial thought that this may have been nothing more than a bad lot of drugs. Thinking about it though, if you're a druggie, you don't walk round with a syringe on display whereas a concerned member of the public might well pick one up and bag it for safety. Hold that last thought then bearing in mind that Novichok is a bit like a curry stain that you can't get rid of, we could be looking at the smoking gun responsible for the attack on the Skipols.

The perpetrator would have been well aware of the toxicity of this stuff so having used the syringe on the Skipols door handle they wouldn't want to keep it so just pitched it into the bushes several miles away. I'm no expert but I doubt they'll get any prints or DNA from the syringe as whoever did this would have had to take mega precautions otherwise there'd be another casualty.

Food for thought.

Bill :)

Well Obs, I think I'm "normal" but if I was walking down the lane and saw a syringe in a plastic bag, like most people, I'd assume that it's just been left by some smackhead rather rather than an Russian hitman.

I certainly wouldn't leave it there for the kids to get hold of and neither would I bother ringing the police for something so commonplace knowing that they won't investigate it anyway. So the only sensible thing to do is to pick it up and take it somewhere out of harms way then find out where it can be disposed of properly.

It's highly unlikely that a smackhead would be considerate enough to bag up a syringe, assuming that is that it was already in the plastic bag. On the other hand with something so toxic the syringe could be used in a plastic bag without removing it but it would leave a small amount of the stuff on the bag as the needle is pulled back inside. The hitman would know this, he doesn't want to die so yes he wears two pairs of gloves and leave the syringe in the bag. But he's got to get rid of it somewhere away from the CCTV so he drives miles away from the town then throws it out of the car window in the hedgerow along with the other junk. His outer gloves might now be contaminated and they'll possibly be further away in the direction the car was travelling away from the Skipol house so the police need to find these as well.

The couple both handle the bag thinking it's safe in the plastic bag and even wash their hands when they get back just in case but too late.

It's only my theory but everything seems to fit.

Bill :)

Third boxcar midnight train, destination Bangor, Maine
Old worn out suit and shoes, I don't pay no union dues
I smoke old stogies I have found, short but not too big around
I'm a man of means by no means, king of the road

King of the Road - Roger Miller

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Observer II said:

Like any legal case, I'll await the jury's verdict in a court of law.    

That wasn't what I asked you but I expect that evasion is all I will get since you don't want to be in contempt of court for the case that will not happen because the alleged culprits will be coddled by mother Russia and not subject to extradition!