Horne's chippy memories or photos

Mimocuja

Hi all,

I am researching my grandparents chip shop at 76 Buttermarket st, during the WWII years.

It was locally known as Horne's chippy. Prior to this period, the premises was an Oyster bar.  However, my grandmother, Ethel Ball was living there in 1922, when she married John Horne of 2 Dial street, at St Marys church.

Does anyone have any memories of the shop, and in particular any photos?  The premises was situated next to the Cross Keys pub, between there and the Salvation Army Citadel.

That series is shops appears to have been demolished in the late 1950/60's.

The Americans certainly made frequent visits to the shop. I expect it was something to do with my 5 aunts working behind the counter.  There was a Chinese laundry man across the road.

Any info would be gratefully received.

Regards

mimocuja

Hi and welcome to the forum Mimocuja :D 

Am I right in thinking that the Cross Keys is the old name for what is now known as Porters, a building that still stands to this day.  

I'm sure either forum member Algy or Baz has posted a photo on here in the past showing the Cross Keys/Porters? building and the Salvation Army Citadel so chances are your grandparents shop being between the two of them would have been on that photo too although maybe not at the time it was their chip shop.

I will look through all my old photos tomorrow night too to see if perhaps I have one but unfortunately I lost a lot of my old photos and info just before xmas when my hard drive died a sudden and unexpected death.

I hope you find what you are looking for and that we can help :D

Mjmocuja,

Dizzy is correct in that Porters was the Cross Keys, 34 Buttermarket Street,  in 1895 it was the Rope & Anchor,  Licensee Joseph Horlock , 1871 Rope & Anchor - Levi Riley, 1849 Rope & Anchor - Mary Chester, 1819 Rope & Anchor - J Chester. Hope this helps!. algy.Cross%20Keys._zpsml8le6xq.jpg in 1895 it was the 

• Upvote 2

Many thanks guys.

The chippy was no. 76 Buttermarket st, opposite Newtown house now.  Prior to being a chip shop, it is registered as an Oyster bar in the early 1930's.

My grandmother, Ethel Ball, lived there in 1922, the year she married at St Mary's church virtually next door.

her husband John Horne lived at 2 Dial House across the road, next to the Conny club.

The Cross Keys is now Porters. So we are talking about the same place.

Algy has responded to me, and I have told him about some photos I have acquired from an old friend of mine.  I will be uploading these in the near future for you all to enjoy.  Approx 50+, of Warrington and districts circa 1920's to 1960's.

regards

mimocuja

• Upvote 1

I'm really looking forward to seeing your photo's Mimocuja :D 

Are you doing your family tree?  I've been doing mine for some years now and it's so addictive but also very frustrating at times ha ha.

I'll keep looking for a pic of your grandparents chip shop or the oyster bar...you never know there might be one somewhere :D

Mimocuja.

1895. No.76 Buttermarket Street was the Oyster Rooms, Annie Wilding.

1908 No.76 Buttermarket Street was a Fish Fryer owned by Reuben Bennett and next door to The Cross Keys public house (No.78).

The shop on the right hand side of Buttermarket Street on the corner directly behind the two men is your grandparents Fish & Chip shop, as it is shown on the map it is town side of The Cross Keys pub which is No.78 (you can see the roof of the pub) and as the shop is No.76 then that must be it. The next street on the left is Orford Street. My uncle Jack's shop No.74 is M.J.Taylor's Watchmaker and Jewellers.

10499626_10153067373798919_9825517265034

ScreenShot001_zpsczmjhpa0.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi Algy,

that is the only photo I have seen, superb!  It puts some of that demolished row into place now.  I expect my grandfather and your uncle knew each other well?

What is the best way to upload photos onto this site.  When I do it from my iPad, it says the file is too big.

many thanks

mimocuja

The only way I know of is to join Photobucket (totally free) and upload the image to your account and upload it from there, if you can't figure out how to do it once you have joined get in touch and I will lead you through it although I'm sure you will soon sort it.