NHS again -

observer

nobody said that only elderly use the NHS, nor that all young people are fit and healthy, you seem to be making up your own argument in your head.  Proportionately older people place more strain on the NHS than any other demographic,  and now we have a situation where pensioners are claiming pensions for longer than they worked.  another elephant in the room is the refusal and hindrance by relatives of elderly patients to have them moved out of hospitals into care homes for fear of losing "their" inheritance despite their relative being fit to leave medically. .  Its called bed blocking .

Errm, nope; "bed blocking" is caused by unavailability of care home places or care in the home support, due to reduced spending on social services.  Been there, got the T-shirt; we spent days trying to get my father out of Hospital and into suitable care, so nothing to do with "losing inheritance", just seeking appropriate care asap.    :ph34r:

did he get better togger?

My mother didn't she died in hospital but that is neither here nor there.  still one less elderly person to block a bed eh.

In all the times that she had been taken to hospital their excuse for not releasing her in the morning was that they had to wait for her medication to be delivered. As the pharmacy did not deliver to the wards until six pm this meant that she was taking up a bed all day that could have been freed up for another patient. I asked why they could not let her out and i would collect her medication after six and was told that it would spare me having to make a journey to the hospital to pick her medication up. i am fortunate that i live less that a hundred yards from warrington hospital and so after a brief explanation and in one case pointing out my house from the ward window. i convinced them  that it was not a problem for me to come back at half six.

Inside every elderly person there is a much younger person trying to get out, A person who was doing everything that we do now & working to provide the tax & NI to pay for the state dependants of their day, & even laying down their lives so that we could live in a free country. These Jacks & Jills were doing it all when we  ,along with our potential siblings, could just as easily have been wiped on the bedroom curtains.

I'm sure my daughter would have liked the chance to grow old one day.

32 minutes ago, Davy51 said:

Inside every elderly person there is a much younger person trying to get out, A person who was doing everything that we do now & working to provide the tax & NI to pay for the state dependants of their day, & even laying down their lives so that we could live in a free country. These Jacks & Jills were doing it all when we  ,along with our potential siblings, could just as easily have been wiped on the bedroom curtains.

I'm sure my daughter would have liked the chance to grow old one day.

I'm not having a go at people for being old, I'm merely pointing out the obvious issues an increasing ageing population is causing.  Most of your post is imbecilic in its stupidity especially the laying down their lives bit.  I presume that , as seems to be a constant go to on here, you are referring to the war.  I think if you look at the stats most of the fighters and military casualties were not pensioners.  Quite how these people grew old and laid down their lives is a neat trick.

Just pointing out that some of the people of working age, presumably like yourself, didn't even have a chance to get old.

What does puzzle me in this day & age is that we have  serial gripes across society about an ageing population being responsible for all ills known to man but doctors & scientists are working frantically on cures for all types of illness & disease to let people live longer. Is this a genuine desire to prolong life or perhaps a precursor to being able to pay for a longer life if you can afford it ?

5 hours ago, Togger1 said:

No, sadly my Dad didn't Sid, but that's not my shirt.  Anecdotal evidence is exactly that. Beds are blocked, chiefly by the elderly for a variety of reasons,  I have listed one.

So now we've gone from THE reason for bed blocking, to "I've listed one" -   Do you actually believe that clinical staff would deliberately allow a vital hospital bed to be taken up, if alternate social care places were available, other than the kind of incompetence cited by Sid?.   They are not available in sufficient numbers due to a lack of investment in social services (Councils), which with the re-branding of Health to Health & Social Care;  plus added funding, may provide the necessary integration to address.           :rolleyes: 

13 hours ago, Togger1 said:

nobody said that only elderly use the NHS, nor that all young people are fit and healthy, you seem to be making up your own argument in your head.  Proportionately older people place more strain on the NHS than any other demographic,  and now we have a situation where pensioners are claiming pensions for longer than they worked.  another elephant in the room is the refusal and hindrance by relatives of elderly patients to have them moved out of hospitals into care homes for fear of losing "their" inheritance despite their relative being fit to leave medically. .  Its called bed blocking .

So you didn't really mean this then ?   Perhaps you could also explain how "relatives" override the clinical decisions of medics and what "losing their inheritance" has to do with anything ?   

10 minutes ago, Togger1 said:

all will be well though when the £350 million a week ( recently upwardly revised)  starts sloshing around, care homes will be plentiful and palatial and staffed by indigenous folk all trained and raring to go.

Well now your talking - but that money isn't available yet, as we're STILL in the EU,  and given the constant attempts of the Remoaners to derail Brexit or modify it;  we're unlikely to see it.     :rolleyes:

Just now, observer said:

No, just pointing out that your assertion is wrong.     :rolleyes:

By making stuff up.  Do you actually believe that my assertion never goes on?  Have you ever worked in a hospital ward and dealt with elderly patients and their relatives on a daily basis?

2 minutes ago, Togger1 said:

hahahaha  utter clap trap from start to finish the big red lie.  You have already accepted that Britain will be financially worse off after Brexit but its worth it as ( insert inane war reference for attempted justification)

iyo  :rolleyes:      

3 minutes ago, Togger1 said:

By making stuff up.  Do you actually believe that my assertion never goes on?  Have you ever worked in a hospital ward and dealt with elderly patients and their relatives on a daily basis?

Have you ever worked in a Hospital, as if you have, it could explain the incompetence factor !       :D

41 minutes ago, observer said:

Have you ever worked in a Hospital, as if you have, it could explain the incompetence factor !       :D

I'll take that as a no, so just making it up, alternate facts, your favourite type.  And all this nastiness even after I designed up your souvenir tee shirt :D