Firework Displays

Agamemnon1

In view of recent alleged problem's at a local firework event, I would like to give a little insight into the planning and the carrying out of the organized display's that I and my crew conduct at local event's. We have produced display's for over 20 years.

We compile a folder that contains all the information of the planned event,

A, Public liability to the amount of £ 20,000,000, through Zurich Insurance.

B, A full and comprehensive risk assessment for each individual event.

C, A field plan of the event.

D, A mission statement. 

E, Health and Safety .

F, A description of the display including the classification of the firewwork's and the capabilities of the actual fire crew.

This folder is then presented to the relevant person's who can either say yes or no to the display. That's just for starts. We then carry out a series of site visits prior to the events to ensure that nothing as changed , IE a new building or area of special interest.

We ensure that each event has sufficient marshall's as per H&S regulation's. Crowd control, Fall out area's, Safety zones. All relevant bodies are forewarned of the event, IE Police, Fire & rescue, Ambulance service and the notification to Manchester and Liverpool airport's. Flyers are distributed to local homes detailing the event and advising them to care for their pet's.

This is just a brief insight into the planning of a safe organized display.  Blackbrook Community Association volunteer's are highly trained in the safe and entertaining production of a display.

In light of recent event's, Blackbrook Community Association can offer a free consultation to any local group or organization that are thinking of producing their own fire work display.

• Like 1

Sorry Agamemnon, but my opinion of fireworks has always been "what a waste of money". Still each to his own I suppose.

A little story for you though. A few years ago I did a course at the Royal Navy training establishment HMS Collingwood and was there on bonfire night. They had a fireworks display but called in a fireworks display company to do the display - the RN are apparently not to be trusted with explosives :D:D

Sorry too Aga:  but I too question this anachronistic fest, and if it's to be, then it needs to be carried out safely, hence the H&S bumff.   Seems fireworks are now used on all sorts of occasions, so can be heard at any time of the year; whilst the visual aspects may be entertaining, I fail to understand the need for loud bangs, and would recommend fans holiday in Syria, where they will no doubt enjoy such noise.        :ph34r:

Well done Agamemnon, for all the work put into the Blackbrook fireworks display.  The amount of organisation that has to be done re health and safety, risk assessments etc. is no mean feat and for a community organisation to take on this level of responsibility deserves credit.  However, I think that this responsibility should fall on local councils and not individuals / community groups.

I think fireworks use should be strictly licenced and should be for organised displays only.  I don't think they should be sold to the general public. I also think that there should be only a few set days of the year when they are allowed to be used.  As Ob's, I also fail to understand the need for loud bangs. (perhaps if event organisers joined forces and lobbied manufacturers for 'colour without bangs' fireworks it may persuade them to stop producing the bomb type bangs?)  

Organised events, such as yours, are certainly a way forward as they probably discourage people from buying fireworks for home displays, (why bother when they can see bigger, better fireworks at an event).  Though I really feel that the responsibility for such events should really be borne by the local authority.

I didn't go to your event Agamemnon but do appreciate the work you have done, so 'thanks' and 'well done!' to you and others who have given time and effort to provide a safe event for your community.      

On 11/11/2017 at 10:59 PM, observer said:

Sorry too Aga:  but I too question this anachronistic fest, and if it's to be, then it needs to be carried out safely, hence the H&S bumff.   Seems fireworks are now used on all sorts of occasions, so can be heard at any time of the year; whilst the visual aspects may be entertaining, I fail to understand the need for loud bangs, and would recommend fans holiday in Syria, where they will no doubt enjoy such noise.        :ph34r:

Firstly Obs can you explain what the word " anachronistic " means ?  Secondly, I do not consider H/S as " bumff" .  In one of your  previous live's I assume you took H/S very seriously. What next Obs ? 21 gun salutes to use noiseless shells ? .  Thirdly , I am amazed of your levity  of the very serious action's taking place right now in Syria where every loud bang more than likely ends in some poor innocent life being lost. Get real Obs,   your a big fish in a very small pond !

On 11/12/2017 at 2:13 PM, Sha said:

Well done Agamemnon, for all the work put into the Blackbrook fireworks display.  The amount of organisation that has to be done re health and safety, risk assessments etc. is no mean feat and for a community organisation to take on this level of responsibility deserves credit.  However, I think that this responsibility should fall on local councils and not individuals / community groups.

I think fireworks use should be strictly licenced and should be for organised displays only.  I don't think they should be sold to the general public. I also think that there should be only a few set days of the year when they are allowed to be used.  As Ob's, I also fail to understand the need for loud bangs. (perhaps if event organisers joined forces and lobbied manufacturers for 'colour without bangs' fireworks it may persuade them to stop producing the bomb type bangs?)  

Organised events, such as yours, are certainly a way forward as they probably discourage people from buying fireworks for home displays, (why bother when they can see bigger, better fireworks at an event).  Though I really feel that the responsibility for such events should really be borne by the local authority.

I didn't go to your event Agamemnon but do appreciate the work you have done, so 'thanks' and 'well done!' to you and others who have given time and effort to provide a safe event for your community.      

Thanks Sha . I too agree that the sale of fireworks needs to be seriously looked at. Organized events are monitored by the local authorities with event notification's forms to be submitted. There are limit's on how loud a bang a firework makes. Interesting how a bang free display would be received by the public. Might try it next year. 

6 hours ago, Agamemnon1 said:

Firstly Obs can you explain what the word " anachronistic " means ?  Secondly, I do not consider H/S as " bumff" .  In one of your  previous live's I assume you took H/S very seriously. What next Obs ? 21 gun salutes to use noiseless shells ? .  Thirdly , I am amazed of your levity  of the very serious action's taking place right now in Syria where every loud bang more than likely ends in some poor innocent life being lost. Get real Obs,   your a big fish in a very small pond !

Anachronistic - attribution of a custom to a period it does not belong; out of harmony with the period.   In this case, the burning of an effigy of a Catholic terrorist.  H&S is a generator of paperwork (albeit necessary in some cases), and in volumes that may be considered as bumff.  Gun salutes don't occur all year round, being reserved for official occasions under official and professional supervision.   As any war is a place of exploding ordnance and loud  bangs, it would seem an appropriate environment for lovers of loud bangs.  Finally, I don't consider myself to be a fish in any pond, just offering a point of view, take it or leave it.               :ph34r:.