Homage to Catalonia -

observer

Whilst I've always supported the idea of devolution of powers down to the lowest optimum level; I'm afraid there are some who get ideas above their station and just want to take things further into the realms of "independence".  We've seen it in Scotland, and now in Catalonia, and the rest of the Europe isn't immune, with Lombardy, Bavaria and the Belgian Flemings harbouring such ideas.  But the argument that seems to offer a sense of perspective on the issue would be, could Catalonia win the World Cup ? !           :ph34r:

.. and right on queue, Mz Krankie is now saying the SNP will consider another referendum for independence , when the final Brexit deal becomes known.  Again showing how little she knows about the situation, because if Scotland leaves the UK, (and Catalonia leaves Spain), they automatically leave the EU, and would have to re-apply to join.       :ph34r:

Catalonia....i know we have a French RL team that plays in Perpignan that is known as the Catalans Dragons. Does Catalonia take in part of France or is the current dispute involving just the part of Catalonia that is in Spain ?

I believe there is also a part of Belgium that is in dispute with its government & threatening to break away. Surely, if these 2 disputes result in independence declarations then the splinter districts involved will no longer be in the EU ? Seems like the EU could be falling apart by the back door ,meanwhile how good is it to hear Mrs May talking about just walking away from Europe without a deal ?

Think Catalonia ends at the current Franco-Spanish border, and the French seem quite eager to scotch this independence nonsense.    I'm guessing it's almost inevitable that we are heading for a "no deal" scenario.  The EU seem determined to saddle us with a bad deal, milking  £billions out of us to bolster their budgets and to set an example for any other would be exiteers.  Having milked us, they'll no doubt impose a punitive trade arrangement, where we still pay for the privilege of access to the single market AND accept free movement.  May is back tracking on leaving the ECoJ, which will obviously be ruling in favour of the EU in any further disputes.   So, unless they grow a pair,  we're going to get scammed good style.  Having said that, if Corbyn takes over, we're looking at being milked even more or begging to rejoin the EU.  All rather pathetic.        :ph34r:

Catalonia nord (the French bit) was ceded to France by Spain after one of the Spain v France punch ups over who was responsible for trimming the hedges on the border. The French Catalan region is not involved with the current dispute that the Spanish Catalan region. however if the Spanish Catalan manage to pull off a separation  from Spain (and the EU) then who knows what will happen.

The French are a very volatile bunch at best of times if they feel they have been wronged, slighted or looked at in a "funny way". (bit like some Scots in that respect, "what you lookinn at jimmy i gi ye a face full a dandruff". on second thought that is the Nac Mac Feegles) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Unsurprisingly Spain will invoke their constitution and dissolve the autonomous Government in Catalonia; paving the way for new Regional Elections and the opportunity for the majority in Catalonia to reject the pro-independence Parties.      :ph34r:      The farce of the "illegal" pro-independence  referendum, in which 90% of a 43% turnout, was claimed as a majority, is now apparent.      :ph34r: