please help save our all-weather lifeboat

Anthonypr

Please take a moment to sign and share this petition

To give you some background, the RNLI has decided to downgrade New Quay Lifeboat Station to an Inshore Lifeboat when the service life of its Mersey-class All-Weather Lifeboat expires in 2020. The proposed new lifeboat will not be able to launch in conditions exceeding Force 7 in the daytime or Force 6 at night. 

This doesn't just affect New Quay: The All-Weather Lifeboat also covers Cardigan, Aberporth, Tresaith, Llangrannog, Aberaeron, Llanon, and Aberystwyth. After 2020, there will be no All-Weather Lifeboats in the whole of Ceredigion, leaving a gap of 70 miles between the All-Weather stations of Barmouth and Fishguard. What this means is that the nearest All-Weather Lifeboat, even travelling at 25 knots, will take an hour and a quarter to reach some parts of Cardigan Bay. 

Petition

i know this doesn't directly effect people in warrington but as i came from warrington and am now here relying on this boat if i get in to trouble to come to my rescue, how many of your relatives in the future might come to Ceredigion on holiday who at some point might venture out on a boat trip or a private boat and get where they could get into difficulty at sea?? please take the time to sign the petition to save the all weather lifeboat

thank you in advance

As an Offshore Member of the RNLI I know the financial pressures that the RNLI operate under. However I am confident that the RNLI management know how best to manage their resources, given that they are completely funded by charitable donations. Rather than looking for people to sign a petition you should be looking for people to contribute towards the RNLI, especially people who "at some point might venture out on a boat trip or a private boat and get where they could get into difficulty at sea?" The crewmembers, who risk their lives on the lifeboats saving people in danger are,overwhelmingly, volunteers who would look upon such a petition as a criticism of their selfless contribution to safety at sea. So, if you want to do something positive, put your hands in your pockets and send them your contributions in cash rather than with a meaningless signature on a petition!

asperity i don't think you understand, i am sharing the petition that has been started by the crew who can see how mad it is to leave Ceredigion with no all weather cover, as a offshore member you will understand that 1 hour 15 min for help/responce is not good enough for someone who is at see in a emergency, i wouldn't fancy anyones chances in the water for that length of time,

The RNLI has a clear mission statement:

“Our crews aim to launch their lifeboats with 10 minutes of being notified and can operate up to 100 nautical miles out at sea. We aim to reach at least 90% of all casualties within 10 nautical miles of the coast within 30 minutes of a lifeboat launch – any weather.”

The nearest boats
at Barmouth and Fishguard would take more than an hour and a half to attend to an emergency off New Quay or Aberaeron.

asperity i do put my hands in my pockets and donate to the RNLI, i understand that funding is a issue but in my opinion its madness to remove the all weather boat, which is a view also shared by the crew of the life boat. if you click this link you can see a map that shows the area that is being left with no emergency all-weather cover why is this important 

So you don't think that the RNLI, with all its long experience, is able to make viable plans for such contingencies? have you asked them (and I don't mean the crews)?

Oh and for anybody else reading this, please consider becoming a contributor to the RNLI, a very worthy cause!

they have been asked and they are saying that 

George Rawlinson, RNLI operations director, said when announcing the decision that changing the type of lifeboat at a station is never "taken lightly" but the decision to replace the all-weather boat at New Quay with an inshore vessel was "underpinned by extensive research" which concluded services could be carried out safely and effectively by the Atlantic 85, supported by the 25-knot lifeboats from neighbouring stations if needed.

but the fact is these boats mentioned in the articles below would have been stuck out at sea for a extra 90 min in fair seas during daytime and well over that at night or in rough seas, if the all-weather boat wasn't here

wales online

tivyside advertiser(local news paper)

here is a article from the BBC on this subject

BBC

asperity i am not trying to say your wrong but the fact is the RNLI have made the decision from looking at 5 years data but if we look at 3 years with in the last 10 years there were 27 vessels and crew that would have been lost in force 6 or above if the all weather boat was not here, as you would know being an Offshore Member of the RNLI that a Inshore life boat can not safely be launched or work at sea in force 6 and above, and expecting straitened vessels to wait well over a hour and half for assistance is too much if there is a casualty on one of these boats(the golden hour is gone) or they are taking on water how long could the crew of that vessel last if there vessel sinks due to the wait, and when someone loses there lives due to having to wait who will be to blame for the lack of cover? i will answer that as it has been pointed out to the trustees of the RNLI, it will not be the person who made the decision it will be the trustees and its actually classed as corporate manslaughter. this is happening up and down the country and each station is fighting as i know north wales have been prior to them receiving there new all-weather boat this month

In 2008, New Quay’s All-Weather Lifeboat carried out 17 service calls.

• 5 of these were in Force 8 or above
• 2 involved towing boats >10 metres in length
• 2 were to casualties further than 10 nautical miles from shore
• 1 required an ALB salvage pump to prevent sinking

• 7 months later...

Anthony, hearing about the "sacking" of 2 of the Whitby crew (how can you sack a volunteer?) I can now see that the RNLI has been taken over by the same people who are destroying what is best in our society, and making a good living for themselves out of it. I'm seriously considering removing my support for the RNLI and moving it to a more worthy enterprise. My apologies to you, I think you may have come to the same conclusion a lot earlier than I did.

It always baffles me that a seafaring nation should have to rely on a charitably funded organisation to save & preserve life at sea & around our coasts. The RNLI should be part of ,or at least funded by, either HM Coastguard or the Border Agency.

Davie, at one point the RNLI did accept government subsidy but found that charitable contributions dropped, and that government over-regulation and bureaucracy was stifling so stopped taking the subsidy. Unfortunately now, after nearly 200 successful years of being run as a charity, it seems that petty bureacrats are going to destroy all the goodwill the RNLI has built up and people are going to stop contributing. As I said in my previous post, how can you sack a volunteer for something so petty?