Candidate General Election Question

21 hours ago, asperity said:

I was about to make the same point about farmland being covered with solar panels Obs (with the landowner being well paid for its use with taxpayers money) while at the same time the usual suspects wail and moan if any suggestion is made to change the use of such land to housing.

The usual suspects reared up when a solar farm was proposed at Johnsons Lane on the Warrington/Widnes border, the land having been used since 1920 as a closed gate chemical tip...

Save our area of outstanding natural toxic waste, you couldn't make it up. 

3 minutes ago, Freeborn John said:

The usual suspects reared up when a solar farm was proposed at Johnsons Lane on the Warrington/Widnes border, the land having been used since 1920 as a closed gate chemical tip...

Save our area of outstanding natural toxic waste, you couldn't make it up. 

So was is approved or not?

4 minutes ago, Freeborn John said:

I remember reading about the first as chair of the Warrington Nature Conservation Forum and asking members views - I believe that we didn't have any objections.

As for the 2nd - I vaguely recall something on the Widnes side nor far from the Power Station - sort of Penketh way. Perhaps when the station finally finishes it's life it would be a good site for wind/solar.

I do remember approving the big one on the opposite side of the M62 to IKEA - I think it provides power to the near by farm and business unit as well as the grid.

You see Geoff,what is wrong with installing solar panels on the rooves of the large warehouses all over Warrington & feeding the grid ? Maybe warehouses of the future could be a stronger construction to incorporate intensive solar production but surely that is better than sticking these panels in a farmer's field .

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Geoffrey Settle said:

Well Donald you don't have to tell me that I studied it on me Geography and Economics degree course - you are describing the base level and climatic variation - global warming is what man has added to the equation. It will be some time before we reach the next Ice Age under normal conditions but due to man's intervention he won't be around to see it.

Who is Donald?

Quasi-scientific mumbo jumbo with the usual scare mongering thrown in for good measure, with a touch of "appeal to authority" ("I've done a degree course so I must be right")

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:50 PM, Davy51 said:

You see Geoff,what is wrong with installing solar panels on the rooves of the large warehouses all over Warrington & feeding the grid ? Maybe warehouses of the future could be a stronger construction to incorporate intensive solar production but surely that is better than sticking these panels in a farmer's field .

As far as I am aware that approach was being followed, it was certainly proposed at a renewable energy committee that I sat on a couple of years ago.

The roves on the Omega were being considered provided that they were strong enough.

• Upvote 1

How much does a solar panel weigh. If the roofs aren't strong enough for solar panels makes you wonder what a good coating of snow will do to them.

All plotiticians have only one thing in mind. Getting re-elected so that they can keep themselves in the lifestyle that they have become accustomed. All promises made by them prior to an election are made with this in mind and with the sure knowledge that they can always find a way of explaining why they have not been kept, usually of the style "it was a big boy that did it and ran away" :rolleyes:

Cynical? yes. (but quite probably true, for a given value of truth that is)

2 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

How much does a solar panel weigh. If the roofs aren't strong enough for solar panels makes you wonder what a good coating of snow will do to them.

All plotiticians have only one thing in mind. Getting re-elected so that they can keep themselves in the lifestyle that they have become accustomed. All promises made by them prior to an election are made with this in mind and with the sure knowledge that they can always find a way of explaining why they have not been kept, usually of the style "it was a big boy that did it and ran away" :rolleyes:

That's why you employ a structural engineer to check such things out before any work is even contemplated.

I think that reading the tabloids they often have something else on their mind as well - but broadly I wouldn't disagree with you hypothesis - that's why they should face the public and the public should call them to account when they don't deliver.

I'm so cynical these days that I don't know what the word truth means anymore after all it's just a concept in the eye of the beholder and largely without any substance.

Not according to the panel of international journalists on the BBC last night.

They started off saying that it began as a Brexit focus but had changed to a wide range of issues as the manifestos were released and that the Reds closed the gap. But they also seemed to think that it would swing back to a vote on who is the stronger leader.

They all agreed that the EU favoured a strong leader for the UK that they could negotiate with not a weak one.

Yes it was a bit muddled but there you have it.

The worst scenario would be a return to a Parliament with 80% Remainers, all throwing in spoilers to confound a clean break.  Labour will stay in the EU if they can't get a deal; thus inviting the Brussels Mandarins NOT to reach a deal. The Lib-Dums and Greens want a re-run of the referendum, based on a deal.  If folk voted Leave, there is clearly only one viable option to endorse their referendum vote, all the rest can wait till the next G/election.    :ph34r:

It is a bit short sighted to consider the election to be about nothing more than Brexit. Of course all the usual subjects that are fought over at a general elections will be dredged up & as i have stated previously voter apathy will play its part.

What will be interesting will be how London & the south east vote....will the Conservatives & others vote for May & Brexit or will the remoan vote take over & derail May's bid for glory?