Temp Market

Milky

I wasn't going to post to the debate forum anymore but as no one else is saying it....

Has anyone noticed the temporary structure that will house the market while money is wasted on demolishing then rebuilding the old Boots store so it can become a new market!

I expected a temporary building that goes up in a week or two then can be taken down and maybe resold, but no it is a properly built building which is taking months to build.

Yet more waste of money and environmental damage.

Supposed to be earmarked for future retail use when the market moves from there. (according to the council that is.) So probably more expensive coffee establishments. :roll:

OK got it wrong then, I thought it was going to be taken down as the area was meant to be an open space.

The old Boots building will not be knocked down, the fabric will left up including the listed frontage and the inside converted to accommodate the market. The temporary market building will be part of the new retail/leisure complex. These new buildings seem to shoot up quickly, it doesn't necessarily mean they are poor quality.

I'm surprised at the negativity to this project. I think it's just what the town needs.

• Upvote 1

The old Boots building will not be knocked down, the fabric will left up including the listed frontage and the inside converted to accommodate the market. The temporary market building will be part of the new retail/leisure complex. These new buildings seem to shoot up quickly, it doesn't necessarily mean they are poor quality.

I'm surprised at the negativity to this project. I think it's just what the town needs.

The boots building is defiantly being demolished and only the frontage will stay.

The new market will be built on the former Boots site and its Grade II listed front will be incorporated into the design.

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/10714554.display/#

I am against it because I do not believe the council should be building new offices or cinemas, 

Something like a fun pool would be a better idea

Why not have a cinema AND funpool, after all, Blackburn, a town I know very well has a town centre cinema, funpool and ice rink. This is despite it being a low wage area and having a smaller population, of which a large proportion would not (ahem) remove their clothes to swim in public.

This a much needed and long over due regeneration of our town centre.

Multi-plex 2,000 capacity cinema, lots of new restaurants, new modern multi-storey car park and a brand new market, retaining the front features of the Boots building, mixed office use, so there are actually people working in the town centre, using the facilities.

This will make Warrington a much more popular destination. Great strides have already been made in the cultural quarter.

Plenty to be positive about!

Perhaps a 21st century public transport system should be top of the list for town centre regeneration.It isn't much use creating multitudes of jobs in the town centre if commuters are going to struggle to & from work. Similarly, to attract revellers & consumers into town a regular,reliable & affordable public transport system needs to be in place.

In its present state Warrington is prone to gridlock,what will it be like if future success is achieved & town centre users are still largely travelling to & fro by car ?

But what is being done about the eyesore view that people get as they drive over the bridge into town .?

So important as first impressions last.

Whys eyesore view?  Do you mean the new carpark that's being built and is now visible towering above all the other buildings.  You can't miss it when you approach Bridge Foot from Brian Bevan Island direction.

No .

The derelict Packet House Pub complete with broken windows and rotting window frames.  and the sprawling mass of late night pubs and takeaways that you see as you drive over Bridge Foot then turn right into Mersey St and our Job Centre with it's prams and bikes all over the pavement blocking the pedestrians way due to no proper parking spaces or area for people to wait or meet.And yes the new high rise has me concerned it may just be another concrete eyesore.

• Upvote 1

This will make Warrington a much more popular destination. Great strides have already been made in the cultural quarter.

Plenty to be positive about!

Just how is it going to do that?

There are already plenty of empty office space in the town and if office space was required how about making use of the buildings already there?

The cinema will be mostly used at night, if you take the example of the current cinema in Warrington there are not many restaurants around there, when you leaving after the film most of the shops are shut, why is that?

How exactly wil a modern car park add to anything, what was so wrong with the old one?.

Why not have a cinema AND funpool, after all, Blackburn, a town I know very well has a town centre cinema, funpool and ice rink. This is despite it being a low wage area and having a smaller population, of which a large proportion would not (ahem) remove their clothes to swim in public.

It is probably easier for Blackburn to get funding for thing like that

Think you'll find, that we've never had a people led master plan for the Town; but have had piece meal development on the basis of expediency. The result is the movement of the Town Centre as a focal point into G/Square, leaving other areas, such as lower Bridge St to die. We also have had the developer led spread of retail to out of Town sites, increasing car dependency, in a Town where increased public transport use will be the only way to avoid grid lock on our finite road system. Alas, all this requires vision, it also requires funding and devolved powers; which in an age of austerity will be lacking.

Think you'll find, that we've never had a people led master plan for the Town; but have had piece meal development on the basis of expediency. The result is the movement of the Town Centre as a focal point into G/Square, leaving other areas, such as lower Bridge St to die. We also have had the developer led spread of retail to out of Town sites, increasing car dependency, in a Town where increased public transport use will be the only way to avoid grid lock on our finite road system. Alas, all this requires vision, it also requires funding and devolved powers; which in an age of austerity will be lacking.

Yet still wondering how the new development will change anything much? 

Is the problem with the current market the building (although it is not the nicest building in the world) or lack of traders, a situation caused by the council by demanding too high rates and rent, certainly in the past it was. How will that be solved when it is moved to a new location? Also would making the market carpark free instead of demolishing it bring people into that area?

Why would anyone go to the city center cinema if car parking is free at westbrook anyway?

As for traffic, hmmm, there really is no traffic in the evening when most people go to the cinema, so traffic is not an issue.

Unfortunately, "cars" are part of the problem, not the solution; we've had car led development in out of Town areas, ever since Warrington New Town Corp grafted a new town around the old town, without thought or money going into an integrated plan. We now have site specific, piece meal developments all over the place, including the T/C itself, most not easily accessed by public transport. Put bluntly, it's an evolved dog's breakfast led by each piece meal development, rather than any overall master plan, and probably beyond redemption. Just one example: first G/Square hoovered up retail outlets from the rest of Town, then they extended it to accommodate a Debenhams store, which meant compromising Midland (Expressway?!) Way, with a totally contrived entrance and exit to a multi-storey car park. On the plus side, an oasis of what we could have had, is the old fish market area, with it's coffee shops and play facilities for kids in the holidays, which probably owes more to accident than design.

I think the main problem to driving into town for a night out is not necessarily the traffic. At least a good public transport system would enable a night out to take in the multi plex ,a meal & a few drinks. Taxis are not cheap & anything that helps the town centre economy can't be bad.

I personally just don't understand how a cinema is going to breathe new life into what is a dead town centre. With the advent of Sky Movies, most films are available within a few weeks on your own TV anyway. I live within spitting distance of the cinema at Westbrook and have done for years and the last film I went to watch was Titanic :)

I personally just don't understand how a cinema is going to breathe new life into what is a dead town centre. With the advent of Sky Movies, most films are available within a few weeks on your own TV anyway. I live within spitting distance of the cinema at Westbrook and have done for years and the last film I went to watch was Titanic :)

A better option would have been a dual purpose venue so that concerts and live shows could also be shown.

Unfortunately, "cars" are part of the problem, not the solution; we've had car led development in out of Town areas, ever since Warrington New Town Corp grafted a new town around the old town, without thought or money going into an integrated plan. We now have site specific, piece meal developments all over the place, including the T/C itself, most not easily accessed by public transport. Put bluntly, it's an evolved dog's breakfast led by each piece meal development, rather than any overall master plan, and probably beyond redemption. Just one example: first G/Square hoovered up retail outlets from the rest of Town, then they extended it to accommodate a Debenhams store, which meant compromising Midland (Expressway?!) Way, with a totally contrived entrance and exit to a multi-storey car park. On the plus side, an oasis of what we could have had, is the old fish market area, with it's coffee shops and play facilities for kids in the holidays, which probably owes more to accident than design.

While I accept planning since the 60 has been poor I still fail to understand the correlation between traffic, the state of bridge street and the new development.

The reason of abandonment of Bridge Street by retail as you identified is the development of Golden Sq and not enough trade to keep the old part of town viable.

How will a cinema correct this?

I personally just don't understand how a cinema is going to breathe new life into what is a dead town centre. With the advent of Sky Movies, most films are available within a few weeks on your own TV anyway. I live within spitting distance of the cinema at Westbrook and have done for years and the last film I went to watch was Titanic  :)

I used to go a lot to the movies, used to go to the Print Works in Manchester to watch 3D movies (that was before  Westbrook had 3D facilities)  then Manchester council in its wisdom increased the car parking charges and we stopped going. We rarely went on to restaurants, sometimes we would go to a bar or fast food place but Warrington has many of these and a new cinema won't exactly lead to the substantial redevelopment of the old high street.

In fact was there not a reasonable restaurant by the Westbrook cinema once upon a time - I wonder why Mcdonalds or KFC have not taken its place.

The latest James Bond was the last time I had been to the movies, there have been times when I was the only one at a screening of a movie at Westbrook.

A better option would have been a dual purpose venue so that concerts and live shows could also be shown.

Is this possible? I would have thought they had very different requirements.

Sadly,there are only so many viable retail businesses to go round whether in a traditional High Street setting or on a new fangled town centre retail park. It is a nationwide problem that where a town centre retail park springs up the shops from the High Street are relocated there. Perhaps a better project to retain the town's character would have been to restore the pre Golden Square businesses in situ & use what became  the GS to build offices or ,better still ,affordable rented or property to buy instead of moving displaced residents Skelmersdale style to out of town developments. What is wrong with the town centre is that it needs a 24 hour customer base & that won't be provided by out of town housing.

"". Perhaps a better project to retain the town's character would have been to restore the pre Golden Square businesses in situ & use what became  the GS to build offices ""

Sorry to disagree Davy,

But....

At the end of the day like it or not, Golden Square is a Thousand times better/cleaner/safer and weather friendly than the old Bridge St/ Sankey St/Old Market areas.

When we take off our rose tinted specs ,it was a filthy dangerous place (Traffic / polution wise) and Trinity Church was just totally caked in soot and grime from the local industries and all the heavy traffic travelling through Town Centre. .

I worked in the Old Fish/meat market in the 1960's and it was infested with rats which incredibly were an accepted way of life.I remember on my first day working there I was sent down into the cellar for some stock and was told to take something to throw at the rats to "shift 'em" !!

I am an old fogey these days but appreciate how much things have immeasurably improved over the last 50 years.