Council Fines ?

observer

Seems a London Borough has made over a £million from fines imposed on drivers who block traffic flows through entering box junctions, when their exit is blocked.  The evidence is supplied through CCTV.  In an age of cash strapped Councils, cutting services to the bone, is this a legitimate way to supplement their income ?

Given the amount of times warrington is a car park could be more than a million a month from bridge foot alone.

A thought occurs that maybe we will get more road repairs done by the council. Fines from blocked junctions due to roadworks backing up traffic could well pay for the roadworks in the first place. 8) :cool: :lol:

The amount of 'block the exit and just sit there staring into space' muppetry which takes place during the towns regular Friday gridlocks, a good police officer with a sharp pencil could probably raise some serious cash and do some good at the same time.

Unfortunately, since there's never a copper to be seen amongst even the most monumental, whole town traffic jams, it isn't going to happen.

The amount of 'block the exit and just sit there staring into space' muppetry which takes place during the towns regular Friday gridlocks, a good police officer with a sharp pencil could probably raise some serious cash and do some good at the same time.

Unfortunately, since there's never a copper to be seen amongst even the most monumental, whole town traffic jams, it isn't going to happen.

It's amazing isn't it? They could split their time between Bridge Foot, Morrisons, Winwick Road, Stockton Heath, Callands, Brian Bevan Island etc and be pulling in a fortune from those people who get in the car and then just try not to hit whatever's in front of them, those people who think an indicator stops traffic and gives them right of way, those who get to park anywhere if they sit in the car or put the hazards on and those people who think they're the only people on the road.  

• Upvote 2

I've always tried to remain on the side of the law, especially when it comes dodgy parking so it came as a bit of a shock to find Iv'e just got a ticket at the roller skating rink car park where I've parked for the last ten years.  

There was no ticket on the windscreen so I assume this has to be some kind of CCTV, thing maybe linked to the temporary car park that they've set up directly opposite.

From what I could see, the car park has always had an attendant up until 6.30pm but after that time the booth was closed with no option to pay anywhere. 

It's not been an issue for ten years and if they've changed the signs then it's clearly not obvious, especially in the dark when I tend go there.

Looks like Warrington town center will have a couple less visitors in future. 

Bill :)

It's amazing isn't it? They could split their time between Bridge Foot, Morrisons, Winwick Road, Stockton Heath, Callands, Brian Bevan Island etc and be pulling in a fortune from those people who get in the car and then just try not to hit hit whatever's in front of them, those people who think an indicator stops traffic and gives them right of way, those who get to park anywhere if they sit in the car or put the hazards on and those people who think they're the only people on the road.  

This. Except you forgot the "I don't need to indicate on roundabouts because I always go this way" merchants.

It is amazing Bill that there is more chance of being fined for an infringement on a car park than on a road that can be a danger to other road users as well as causing traffic disruption.

There was some clown near us today, big Merc,parked on zig zags at a pedestrian crossing.

Yes it certainly miffes me off that I get £100 fine for using what I believed to be a legitimate car park while two cars were parked in the pedestrianized only area directly outside the pub.

Some time back now I was waiting for a takaway when  a young girl pulled up and parked on the double yellows directly outside.

I mentioned to her that there were three police cars less than fifty yards away but she didn't seem in the least concerned saying she was only waiting for her food.

• Upvote 1

Yes it certainly miffes me off that I get £100 fine for using what I believed to be a legitimate car park while two cars were parked in the pedestrianized only area directly outside the pub.

Some time back now I was waiting for a takaway when  a young girl pulled up and parked on the double yellows directly outside.

I mentioned to her that there were three police cars less than fifty yards away but she didn't seem in the least concerned saying she was only waiting for her food.

There it is, recent generations of motorists have grown up believing that as long as they don't offend in front of a speed camera they can do what the heck they like.

Since the police appear to agree with them, what can you say?

It is amazing Bill that there is more chance of being fined for an infringement on a car park than on a road that can be a danger to other road users as well as causing traffic disruption.

There was some clown near us today, big Merc,parked on zig zags at a pedestrian crossing.

wasn't me... I was in London :)