Threat of library closures

Gary

Very surprised nobody has started a topic on the closure threat to some libraries in the town.

Maybe none of you read library books?

Maybe that is the root of the problem - few people use library books now.

Anyone just in case there are any book worms on here the consultation period has been extended.

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2016/09/21/warrington-library-consultation-to-be-extended/

It would be damn poor form on the councils part not to preserve the oldest public library. As for the rest there is still a place for libraries, they are are life line to some if only to give them a reason to leave the house. How about merging them with day or community centres ?

There's more to libraries than just borrowing books.

For example, I've heard of something called the internets which, if you can't access at home because the costs might be beyond your means, you can access from your local library, for no cost.

Seeing as many, er, initiatives, which are subject to public consultation rely largely on electronic communications, closure of libraries may reduce the level of participation by the people who are most effected.

Makes good political sense then, eh?

What is the minimum that needs to be provided under the museum and libraries act?

As a recently returned library member, was one as a youngster as i was an avid reader and still am come to that, it would appear that the library is trying to get interest using ebook lending as that seems to be the way most people will read books these days. Still trying to get to grips with their system which has changed three times since i rejoined the library about two months ago.

have borrowed one ebook from them and read it but could not figure out how to "return" it after the loan period had expired as it is a bit unclear on this on the website. as a result i still have the book but cannot read it as it has "expired"

I do wonder though how much of a problem piracy of the ebooks is and what measure is taken to stop people copying them.

Not the "real" world at all Asp; otherwise we would never have had free library provision in the first place.

When public libraries first started that was the real world at the time. Times change and so does what people want, so we are in the real world for today not that of yesterday.

Relevance has been covered by Fugs; plus the Library gave many a pensioner a place to go and keep warm in Winter !   Austerity is being used as an excuse to deny the Plebs publicly funded services, whilst those in senior management in the public sector have inflated their salaries; the wealthy individuals and corporations are not being taxed etc. The money is out there, it's either being wasted or not being redistributed.

The times they are a changing!

I haven't been to the library in maybe twenty years now but I'm sure some will miss it more than me. 

The local Woolston actually library down sized itself and moved into the swimming baths that also down sized and called itself a community hub.

My doctors surgery up roots and moved in there as well and changed it's name from doctors surgery to a well being center.

Nothings for forever and although people don't like change we're stuck with it.

I went for a beer last week and found Weatherspoons are inviting people to use an App to order their food and drinks from the table.

I was tempted to write something on the leaflet saying get off you backside, walk to the bar and speak to a real person!

There's a whole new generation emerging that very soon won't know that a book was once printed on paper rather than downloaded.

Give it time and we'll all evolve into a blob with just two thumbs to use our phones!  :mrgreen:

Bill :)

• Upvote 1

I haven't been to the library in maybe twenty years now but I'm sure some will miss it more than me. 

The local Woolston actually library down sized itself and moved into the swimming baths that also down sized and called itself a community hub.

My doctors surgery up roots and moved in there as well and changed it's name from doctors surgery to a well being center.

Nothings for forever and although people don't like change we're stuck with it.

I went for a beer last week and found Weatherspoons are inviting people to use an App to order their food and drinks from the table.

I was tempted to write something on the leaflet saying get off you backside, walk to the bar and speak to a real person!

There's a whole new generation emerging that very soon won't know that a book was once printed on paper rather than downloaded.

Give it time and we'll all evolve into a blob with just two thumbs to use our phones!  :mrgreen:

Bill :)

Spot on bill - thank you for reminding me why I don't use Weatherspoons!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see the problem with the building ceasing to exist as a library, as as has been said "if you don't use it you lose it", my concern is - a) they don't demolish it and it is used for a useful purpose for the people of Warrington and not turned into yet abother block of yuppy apartments. The problem with 'paper books' is that the technology that we are using here has almost made them obsolete in that 'e'books are available at the tap of a key and volumes may be stored and transported with you in your pocket.

As Fugs said "There's more to libraries than just borrowing books."

The loss of the libraries is not a popular prospect - there is growing public unrest at these plans and growing numbers on the petition to stop the closures.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/first-uk-public-library-threatened-closure-394136

Livewire as a Community Interest Company may have some less restrictions than if they were registered as a charity - but not where the 'community interest' obligation is concerned. Proceeding against public opinion could lead to the 'livewire' being unplugged!

I don't see the problem with the building ceasing to exist as a library, as as has been said "if you don't use it you lose it", my concern is - a) they don't demolish it and it is used for a useful purpose for the people of Warrington and not turned into yet abother block of yuppy apartments. The problem with 'paper books' is that the technology that we are using here has almost made them obsolete in that 'e'books are available at the tap of a key and volumes may be stored and transported with you in your pocket.

The plan for the present town centre library building is to turn it into some kind of 'activity hub'. The building plans for the interior are to effect a glass/metal monstrosity type modernisation and on the wall outside facing the old Art College is to be a giant and ghastly glass/metal slug. I've not noticed any illustrations of these plans in the press yet - in the interests of openness and transparency these surely should have been revealed before the 'public consultation' took place.

The plan for the present town centre library building is to turn it into some kind of 'activity hub'. The building plans for the interior are to effect a glass/metal monstrosity type modernisation and on the wall outside facing the old Art College is to be a giant and ghastly glass/metal slug. I've not noticed any illustrations of these plans in the press yet - in the interests of openness and transparency these surely should have been revealed before the 'public consultation' took place.

"openness and transparency" Sha, crikey that is radical thinking.

Were those the plans that were shown at an event Livewire/museum held last year that unfortunately only those lucky enough to be allocated a 'seat' were allowed to go to Sha.  I'm sure someone I know who was a 'chosen' one mentioned discussions and some ugly plans for the current main library building on Museum Street.  I could be wrong though.  If so though I agree with you WHY have these plans...even if just a future possible vision..not been shown to the general public.  Mmmmm.............

On the subject of the library closures..seems Lymm is taking a very determined stance hoping to save their library. 

I'm impressed with the large new 'road' layout sign that everyone is talking about today :lol:  :lol:     Nice one Lymm, although shame it was just for saving your library and not a global sign covering all under threat.