So - who should be the next Tory Leader ?

observer

Ray -     :lol:

The true beauty of this post is that it proves, beyond doubt , that you do in fact have the ability to learn and that I am not completely wasting my time casting pearls before swine.  And they called me mad for trying.  Keep up the good work and we can start on your potty training next  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

Your getting more infantile with every post. Perhaps you could try rational discussion, but I suppose that would be asking for too much. The problem is of course, your spoiling it for other posters who are prepared to offer civilized discussion, without personal attack, but maybe that's been your motivation all along.

It is still less than a hundred years since women got the right to vote and even then they had to be over 30 and have a 'property qualification' (in other words, be middle class). This Country's next Prime Minister will be a woman, the second in fact. Both represent what less than a Century ago could be called an oppressed group - yet they both oppose gay marriage. Go figure.

Isn't a marriage, according to the church, a union entered into by a man & a woman ?  So how can there be such a thing as a gay marriage ? Ok ,a civil partnership, but surely  marriage should be special between a man & a woman.

Isn't a marriage, according to the church, a union entered into by a man & a woman ?  So how can there be such a thing as a gay marriage ? Ok ,a civil partnership, but surely  marriage should be special between a man & a woman.

If you don't fancy a gay marriage Davy, then don't have one, they aren't compulsory.

After reading every post in this topic i have come to the conclusion that nobody cares who becomes leader.

In the end it will be the same career politicians representing the country as represented it prior to brexit, Regardless of political orientation.

It appears it now hinges on a Time's journalist quoting a comment about motherhood, out of context !     8)

Maybe, but Mrs Leadsom could have stopped that particular line of discussion early on, so not sure if she was content for it to continue, believing it might benefit her campaign, or that she lacked the media experience to realise how it might be reported and that it might backfire on her, albeit, it is often said that all publicity is good publicity. Despite Mrs May being the choice of Conservative MPs, by some margin, given that often Conservative members, who are the electorate in this matter, look at things differently....and would for example have overwhelmingly voted for Boris Johnson, had he have been on the shortlist...despite his obvious lack of leadership ability and Cabinet experience, Mrs Leadsom might well win. Difficult one to call at the moment, and I am disappointed that the process looks as though it will drag on until 9 September. I had hoped a new PM would be in situ prior to Parliament going in to the Summer recess.

In retrospect Paul, I think we're fortunate to have avoided Boris. Whilst he was entertaining and not contained by the usual PC straightjacket; not sure he would be serious enough to do the job. Either of the two women appear capable; but there is a question mark, as whether we should expect a General Election, once exit negotiations are firmed up. Which also poses another question: when are they actually going to apply under clause 50, for the process to start? Read some comment, that, if not applied for by April, it then becomes a matter for a vote in the Council of Ministers?

In retrospect Paul, I think we're fortunate to have avoided Boris. Whilst he was entertaining and not contained by the usual PC straightjacket; not sure he would be serious enough to do the job. Either of the two women appear capable; but there is a question mark, as whether we should expect a General Election, once exit negotiations are firmed up. Which also poses another question: when are they actually going to apply under clause 50, for the process to start? Read some comment, that, if not applied for by April, it then becomes a matter for a vote in the Council of Ministers?

Agree with you on the Boris comment Observer. Think he'll be back though. Regarding Article 50, I think Mrs Leadsom would push on with it more quickly than Mrs May. Personally I don't think the Brexit negotiations should be too difficult....albeit I think politicians and civil servants will make them difficult. As an aside, it is interesting to note that despite having a distracted government, no effective opposition to the government, the shops still have plenty of food on the shelves, the electric is still on, water is in the taps, and life seems to continue as normal...makes you think...........

It is obvious that the political establishment is playing games at the moment, they are desperately seeking a way to not leave Europe despite the vote to leave.... Cameron is a snake for resigning as he did, despite his promise to continue, even in the event of a leave vote. He knew full well that this would happen and has probably fallen on his sword as a last ditch attempt to scupper the vote and cause chaos

Apparently,a German company is hoping to be involved in a joint venture with Tata steel to save Port Talbot steel plant. So much for the pan European hostility to Britain & may even open a few doors  for the Germans into a post Brexit trading arena.

It is obvious that the political establishment is playing games at the moment, they are desperately seeking a way to not leave Europe despite the vote to leave.... Cameron is a snake for resigning as he did, despite his promise to continue, even in the event of a leave vote. He knew full well that this would happen and has probably fallen on his sword as a last ditch attempt to scupper the vote and cause chaos

Maybe Dave's selfless act of falling on  his sword for Europe is in the hope that his Euro friends will still find a lucrative post for him in post Brexit Europe. I believe Junker's favourite toilet attendant isn't long off retirement.

Maybe Dave's selfless act of falling on  his sword for Europe is in the hope that his Euro friends will still find a lucrative post for him in post Brexit Europe. I believe Junker's favourite toilet attendant isn't long off retirement.

I'm not convinced Cameron was ever truly for 'Remain'. I think the campaign was manipulated to get the Brexit vote he wanted.

Cameron has been trying to forge links with Asian and Chinese investors for years - the only thing standing in the way being the European 'workers rights' directives.

Not sure whether he has in fact got many Euro friends, but that won't stop him getting a lucrative post during the Brexit negotiations, and also possibly a far more generous income from the Asian and Chinese investors!

With 'Remain' he would have been just a retired PM, with Brexit he's quids in.

I'm not convinced Cameron was ever truly for 'Remain'. I think the campaign was manipulated to get the Brexit vote he wanted.

Cameron has been trying to forge links with Asian and Chinese investors for years - the only thing standing in the way being the European 'workers rights' directives.

Not sure whether he has in fact got many Euro friends, but that won't stop him getting a lucrative post during the Brexit negotiations, and also possibly a far more generous income from the Asian and Chinese investors!

With 'Remain' he would have been just a retired PM, with Brexit he's quids in.

For most, if not all Conservative candidates to be selected to stand for Parliament, it was always the case that they had to convince the local Associations that they were eurosceptics. Yes, it will be interesting to see what Mr Cameron does for a future career....my advice to him is that as soon as he steps down as PM, he also quits as an MP, as I can't see any point in being on the backbenches...when you have been the PM. I have no doubt that a good income awaits a life outside of Parliament. Interesting to see if he takes up the option of becoming a Lord.